PDA

View Full Version : Negatives

bill
08-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Just for amusement since everyone differs. I have had good success with Neg work, but won't do them now because the injury risk out weighs the reward. That is why alot of knowledgeable people say no to the Neg. If I would do Neg now, it would only be to bring the bar over the chest and hold it for few seconds. No lowering of the bar for me. :cry:
I'll stand back and watch the fight now. lol

WBBIRL
08-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Unless your doing them with 500lbs+ I dont see how theirs any injury risk givin that you have a good spotter... and from looking at your bench PR I highly doubt your doing it with 400lbs let alone 500lbs. They offer an extreme ammount on intensity, which is IMO the best possible enviroment for building strength. To each is own

b_sinning
08-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I do with them the weight I plan on maxing with soon just to get a good feel of the weight. I feel it helps me mentally.

harv
08-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I haven't done them in years because I don't have workout partner / consistant spotter but they have helped me break plateaus in the past. Getting 3-4 reps AFTER positive failure definately helps the intensity IMO

KevinStarke
08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
10,000th post, shizam!

harv
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
10,000th post, shizam!
Ahhhh...trackin' with you now...10,000 in the PL forum

ilankaplan1
08-17-2005, 09:36 AM
wait i did them before but im not sure exactly how to do them. u basically just lower the bar as slow as u can with a lot more weight than u can bench, and then u dont push it up??

CiteCollegiale
08-17-2005, 10:00 AM
wait i did them before but im not sure exactly how to do them. u basically just lower the bar as slow as u can with a lot more weight than u can bench, and then u dont push it up??

You have 1-3 people helping you with unracking and THEY bring the weight up. You just concentrate on getting it down safely to your chest. Doesn't have to be with alot more weight than you can bench. You can do it with about 10-20lbs more than ur max to get the feel of it.

CarlP
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Negatives definitely help me get a feel for heavier weights, so next time I atttempt a PR, my mind is prepared for the feeling.

Hussein
09-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh! You mean eccentric lifts. :p They're great when you do them in addition to normal concentric lifts. Variability is the key to keeping the ball rolling.

Meat_Head
09-13-2005, 10:41 AM
They've actually been shown by numerous studies to be more beneficial to muscle growth and strength(to a degree). I'd think they'd be alot safer in general than concentric lifting, assuming you aren't using too much weight.

bill
09-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Well this is interesting because a lot of very strong PL's don't do them. Maybe after 4 or 5 hundred pds they become to dangerous? I had heard to use about 50 more pds, but maybe that is too much.

Meat_Head
09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
Well this is interesting because a lot of very strong PL's don't do them. Maybe after 4 or 5 hundred pds they become to dangerous? I had heard to use about 50 more pds, but maybe that is too much.

You don't HAVE to go above your max to do negatives. Try a lighter weight and work your way up. Powerlifting involves alot of eccentric strength to satisfy good control over the weight for the judges. That doesn't mean you should ONLY do negatives, they're just another tool in the box.