PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Little Teapot...

Spartan936
08-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Ah. I'm back in journal land to again try my hand at actually making some progress. First I'd like to say that this website and the good people on it have helped me immeasurably, even if I only have five hundred or so posts. Without this place I may have literally become a sick, skinny, and sad little boy, haha! You see, I'm an 18 year old (male) with cystic fibrosis, a genetic lung and digestive disease (search it on google if you are interested, it's not a rosy picture). When I stumbled upon this place a year ago, I made a great effort to lift and stay healthy in general; I gained some 15 pounds in a three week stretch. I believe it was that effort that kept me going on so little for so long. Anyways, thanks guys!

Okay, so I'm a measly 120ish pounds. I am barely 5'5. I've slipped a little as of late. But I have a new determination to become something great, someone helpful, and not a sickly child living upon the backs of others. It is my long-term goal to move up to a strong and healthy 170 pounds.

WORKOUT
-Deadlifts, squats, bench, miltary press, and pull ups. Nothing else.

NUTRITION
-Isocaloric diet. Close to 33/33/33 ratio of carbs, protein, and fats.
-4000 calories a day.
-Whole food.
-LOTS of milk.
-Vitamin/mineral supplements.

GOALS
-Go from 125 pounds (current bodyweight) to 150 pounds by January 2006.
-Squat 220
-Bench 180
-Deadlift 305

And that should finish it. I will update this as much as possible, and not let it fade away like I did with my last pathetic journel. And so our hero begins his journey... lol

Again, thanks you guys.

dissipate
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
...strong and lean. :D

it's awesome to see you back here again spart... working through the CF and the problems. your diet and lifting plan sounds good and i want to see more....

so update already!!!!!!! :ninja:

Spartan936
08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks diss! You're my hero!

Sunday and monday were a blur of squats, bent over rows, shoulder presses, and various arm movements. ha! Weights were very low for me. On one lift I used the bar. I won't say which one for fear of losing my fleeting manliness.

I'll get a better format to my workouts starting tommorow. For today I rest, and also jog a little.

Diet's gone to the Sh*****. So I see this naturopath, and she recommends some strange dietary changes to help me with my general tiredness and stomach problems. I am impressed by what she tells me just by feeling my abdomen (no, not groin) and flashing a light into my eyes. "Oh, you're having stomach problems, and problems with fatigue. Your cortisol levels and adrenal glands are off kilter." she says, at which point I think she has mistaken me for a woman, but she corrects me.

After discussing everything, she advocates two types of nutritional approaches for me: a paleolithic diet, and a blood type diet. Both call for me to eat large amounts of vegetables, meat, and fruit, whilst ignoring grains almost entirely. The paleolithic diet may have some credibility, with the evolution of humans and all. But I raise my eyebrows continuously (haha) at the blood type diet because of its seemingly devious creator, that Adamo dude. D' Adamo, I think.

You guys have any opinions or experience on the Paleolithic and/or the blood type diets? Bear in mind I'm trying to gain weight. :cool:

Spartan936
08-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Grrrrrr....

I don't have much to say right now. Too busy procrastinating. I squatted though.

dissipate
08-14-2005, 02:51 AM
I won't say which one for fear of losing my fleeting manliness.
hahahahahaha!! bah everyone starts or re-starts low! i promise i won't laugh if you say which exercise you did with only the bar :P

i dunno what to say about naturopaths... or blood type and Paleolithic diets. vegetables, meat, fruit - yeah good. but you're gonna have to eat carbs for energy to lift and do cardio, and whole grains are good stuff!!

well at least you squatted :)

NOW GET BACK THERE AND DO MORE!

Spartan936
08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Thank you, dis! The bar! I could only curl the bar! There I said it! ... I was tired. That's why.

EXERCISE

-Jogged for 20 minutes.
-Three 20-second sprinting intervals at 90% effort. Ouch.

Tommorow is leg day.

DIET

-Assorted animal flesh. :evillaugh
-Spinach, broccoli, carrots
-Plum, bannana
-Olive oil
-Almonds
-Honey

Just getting the strange new diet down. I feel better, but I need to up the calories.

COMMENTS

Haha. this is for today. I assume my diet will go as good as it did yesterday. I can also read the future. That is all.

dissipate
08-17-2005, 06:30 AM
oh curls... well that's alright... you'll be curling much more than that soon!

hey you _are_ ditching the carbs??

Spartan936
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Yep, carbs are vamoose. Well, at least whole grains, rice, and beans. The Naturopath I'm seeing recommended this to me. Might seem crazy, but hey, I have to give it a shot. And it makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. My asthma and stomach problems have diminished; this may or may not be related to the diet. Thanks, dis! You're my best journal buddy! :) lol.

Today I ate well. Steak, chicken, veggies, bannanas, olive oil. Did no lifting or jogging, but did stretch briefly and warmup (for what? I do not know).

Tommorow, upon the insistance of my mother :angel:, I go and see a personal trainer. Not a fitness guy from the ymca, mind you, but a man who knows his stuff. Trained some champion athletes he did.

Weight's at 123. I know.

And to think I've GAINED weight in the last week. :eek:

dissipate
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
hmm yeah those diets seem weird but if they help you, i'm for it too.

Did no lifting or jogging, but did stretch briefly and warmup (for what? I do not know).

eh. lol.

i wish my mom would insist i see a PT... REAL one! as it is she thinks i should only go to the gym 1x a week!

123? good thing you gained weight anyway.... i've dropped back to ~122lb so come on! we've both got to gain weight!!! (and you more than me!)

Coke
08-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Major props for being so bent on taking it all to the next level and rise up in spite of whatever may get in the way. The PT should be very helpful at first but a little costly as time pass, lol...looks like you are getting all together - :thumbup:

Spartan936
08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Dis and Cocoa, Thank you much for the encouragement!

Okay, I have single-handedly chosen the greatest avatar to ever grace any forum anywhere. Behold it's hairy, hilarious fury. :evillaugh Maybe it will help me on my journey.

So I have only lifted lightly (pathetic? yes) and my back isn't the greatest, I was told I had to go to the chiropracter 3x a week, I may or may not need surgery on my sinus', I can't eat anything without ****ing it out seemingly moments later (well, not that bad), and I'm supposed to promptly get my real estate license, go to at least one doctor's appointment per day, and watch my little sisters on a daily basis.

But you know what? **** all of that **** in the ***. I'm doin' better now. Like on the Conan movie, when Arnold was all beat to **** and treated like a slave; he only emerged a muscular beast and exploded back with vicious fury, executing glorious retribution upon those who had wronged him. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm currently fasting now until my hunger returns and my digestive system slows down. I believe it was actually excess honey that caused me such grief. Tomorrow I will begin eating teh meats and teh veggies and teh fruits once again. I'll watch the fiber and fat intake though, lest it go right through me.

I'll be back.

dissipate
08-26-2005, 08:35 AM
what's up with the back? who told you you have to go to the chiro 3x a week and why?

good attitude you've got :)

FASTING?! WHAT ARE YOU FASTING FOR?!?!??!?!??!?

dissipate
08-26-2005, 11:48 PM
yo..

i just read this article and thought it might interest you, teapot monkey

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=732845

Spartan936
08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
awesome article, dis! Clarifies my thinking! heehee, teapot money. See? we're all a buncha monkies.

The fast was only for twelve hours. I'm doing much better now, I weigh 125 now already. woo! woo!

The chiro is temporary. I've only got three appoinments left, then I'll control my cruddy back with stretches and exercises.

Must... update... oftener (?).... lift.... soon....

dissipate
08-29-2005, 10:53 PM
i still don't understand what you were fasting for (?)

UPDATE! LIFT! EAT!

Spartan936
08-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Thank you dis! It was hardly a fast. I simply waited until I was hungry again, and not sick to my stomach. But I'm not going to do that again. lol.

Ate well today. Filled myself with brown rice, blackeyed peas, sweetpotatoes, soy milk, fish, chicken, olive oil... Will make my fitday public soon, and update that every now and then.

Lifted this morning. That went great, finally had more energy. Lifts all increased. My bodyweight is up as well.

Song of the day: Sittin' At The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding.

*whistles solo*

dissipate
09-02-2005, 09:45 AM
*waits for fitday and workout posts*

Spartan936
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
meh.

Realized that I am a lazy bum that constantly gets sick.

meh.

HOWEVER, I've read through many journals on this site and can safely say that I understand the things I was doing wrong.

I write this list to myself:

1. You are a lazy bum.

2. You need to eat until you smell repulsive, and poo rocket ships daily.

3. The lifting needs to actually be done, stoopid.

4. You will be a sick, sad little man without the aforementioned exercise and food, becuase without them, the disease will simply take over.

5. You are making lists about yourself. Stop thinking a just do, you noodle-armed choirboy.

Spartan936
09-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Oh and here's my fitday.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Spartan936

Though I believe most of my dietary stuff will be in this journal, I will still use fitday to make sure my pre-planned meals shape up.

Spartan936
09-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Crap. I keep forgetting things.

Thanks Dis! Whippin' me into place and all. :)

I have surgery tomorrow (tuesday) and will not be lifting until next monday. Hopefully the anesthetic will allow me to workout on Friday, but we'll see. Damned dirty apes!!! *shakes fist*

Here, I'll take a few minutes to piece together my workout routine and my diet and goals and such. Oh yeah. It's gonna be official. Format and all. It's gonna be great. ...Oh yeah!

Spartan936
09-12-2005, 11:43 AM
WORKOUT
-Deadlifts, squats, bench, miltary press, and pull ups. Nothing else.

NUTRITION
-Isocaloric diet. Close to 33/33/33 ratio of carbs, protein, and fats.
-4000 calories a day.
-Whole food and protein powder.
-Vitamin/mineral supplements.

GOALS
-Go from 125 pounds (current bodyweight) to 150 pounds by January 2006.
-Squat 220
-Bench 180
-Deadlift 305
-Always update teh journal.

COMMENTS
-This should have been my first post. :rolleyes: Well, rest assured; I will not stop until I reach 150 pounds. And when I do get there (in january), I'll simply keep going until I reach 170. :evillaugh

Spartan936
09-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Aarrgh!

So they pull out like, meatball sized gauzeballs out of my nose today.

In other news, I am following Chris Mason's article in hopes of gaining 15 pounds in the next thirty days or so.

This means I have to update EVERY DAY :eek:

Oh I will. Just wait and see.

DIET
-Lots of oats. And protein powder.
-Too many carbs.

EXERCISE
-Went a mile.
-Was furious at myself for walking some of it.

GOALS
-Post everyday now.
-Go into greater detail with teh workouts and teh foods.
-Moniter water intake.

COMMENTS
-Oh, those are above. darn.

fixationdarknes
09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Ehehehe good luck with the weight gain bro! Eat like a horse on steroids!

Spartan936
09-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks Fix!

So I'm the biggest procrastinator in like a fifty mile radius or something like that. Fat slobs and Cheetoe lovers bow before me and behold my glorious sloth-abilities!!! MwahahahA!

But I should really get this going. I would like to see if I can gain a solid 15 in 30 days. But alas! My digestive system and blood sugar are not together with me on this one. After a bunch of research and opinions, I'm going to tweak my diet again... errr... I have tweaked it. Seriously bumped up the fat intake, cut the carbs down except for around workouts (when I do them, heehee), and kept the protein relatively high. Don't feel bloated and exhausted now, just a little tired. Must eat more.

GOALS
-Don't be a moron.
-Commence 30 day Muscle Madness! (tm) as soon as body allows it.

meh

uh

hmm...

Spartan936
10-02-2005, 09:22 PM
COMMENTS
-30 day muscle madness(tm) commenced on friday. So let's see if I can gain some good flesh on my skinny bod by november. Although I don't know why I am setting this date, because in all likelyhood, I will bulk all the way through next spring. Woohoo! My super-goal is 150 by next year. 25 pounds to go.

Alright, gained a few pounds since friday, lifted both friday and today (sunday), am sore as hell, and I also ran a couple miles on saturday, after leg day. OUCH!

DIET
-About a gallon of whole milk everyday since friday.
-Veggies, teh meats, fruit, few grains, some candy
-Around 4000 cals, need to moniter more closely

EXERCISE
Friday
-Squats 45x12, 65x12, 95x12
-Rows 45x12, 55x12, 65x10
-Bench 45x12, 55x12, 65x10
-teh weak

Saturday
-2.7 mile jog outside. Legs were a screamin'.

Sunday
-Deadlifts 95x12, 110x12, 110x12
-Shoulder Press 45x12, 55x12, 55x10
-Bicep curls 30x12, 30x10, tired :rolleyes:

GOALS
-Get up early tomorrow and lift.
-Post tomorrow.
-Go to bed now.

dissipate
10-05-2005, 09:19 AM
how are you feeling on the low carb high fat diet now?

Spartan936
10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Doing fairly well now, dissipate, thanks!

WORKOUT
-I walked through the woods last night, does that count? Grandma exercise, I know.

DIET
-Lotsa milk
-Steak
-Carrots
-Wheat bread!

COMMENTS
Tomorrow I will lift and post the workout here. And I will also drink two gallons of whole milk. As of now I'm off of an antibiotic (that made me feel like dirt) and drinking 1+ gallons of milk per day. Haven't lifted though. Must lift...

GOALS
-Lift and eat and post tomorrow.
-Eat more. It really is that simple.

Davidelmo
10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey, just wanted to chip in and say good for you!
I hope you meet your targets in the face of adversity... good luck!

And dont forget to update your journal!

Spartan936
10-15-2005, 12:17 PM
hooray!

WORKOUT
-Actually lifted yesterday. Went through all compound exercises and recorded weights used.

DIET
-Drank 2 gallons of milk yesterday as well, along with some protein powder, some carrots, and some sushi. Carbs are low, but energy is good. Fats are good :) Reached 5000 calories. Jumped for joy.

COMMENTS
-Have new respect for Arnold after reading excerpts from his "Education of a Bodybuilder" book. Way better than that encyclopedia of his.

GOALS
-Jog today, lift tomorrow.
-Drink lotsa milk, but try to eat more real food.
-Post more often.
-Weigh 150 by January 1st. Weight at 125 after losing some during sickness, then gaining some back.

Spartan936
10-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey thanks, Davidelmo, that really means a lot. Do yourself a huge favor and stick around this website, it is SO helpful.

Davidelmo
10-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Yee, will do!

Start my program on Monday after I do the induction at the gym.

I started my diet properly yesterday, tracking it on Fitday.com and I will be following WBB1 probabably until Christmas.

I'll be sicking around for sure!

Spartan936
10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
crap. I'm as lazy as ten sloths sleeping soundly. hmmm... and about as creative as dr. Suess. did I spell his name write? :rolleyes:

So here's the lowdown from the downlow, dawgs. With my lung condition I have found it beneficial to lift everyday, but I also have to watch that I don't overtrain, so I've come up with the following routine. I hope to stick with this routine, as I am usually the opposite of sticky.

Monday- Deadlifts
Tuesday- Military press
Wednesday- Squats
Thursday- Pull Downs
Friday- Bench Press
Saturday- Calf Raises, Forearm roller thingy, and bicep curls :angel:
Sunday- Light jogging with sore calves.

The only thing I worry about is how close the squats and the deads are. I think it'll work out though.

Spartan936
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
So I already failed the aforementioned routine, as my back is totally screwy, because I have a slight spinal curvature, other wise known as that "s" word that I can never spell. s-c-o-l-i-o-s-i-s-? Man, I'm really starting to sound ****ed up aren't I? lol.

Must keep calories high. Continue high dosage of... milk! Would like to gain stength, improve lung power despite cystic fibrosis... Methinks I will not write up a new routine, for fear I will not follow it again. I think a reasonable compromise for the time being, and with my twisted back in mind, will be to stick with push-ups, pull-ups, sprinting, and jogging. Deadlifting and squatting kill my back. To think I've been reduced to this...

:bash:

dissipate
10-27-2005, 06:23 AM
seuss dawg. :D

wow 6x a week. how does it benefit your lungs? do they clear up? i'm curious because when i was sick with a thick phlegmy cough, i found that lifting and cardio cleared my breathing for a few hours.

which part of the routine did you fail? (i have scoliosis too)

Spartan936
10-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I've found that too. Lifting seems to pound things out off the lungs, while the cardio seems to give me prolonged easier breathing.

I spell seuss wrong and scoliosis right. go figure. My back is a little tweaked, so I haven't even started any kind of solid program.

thanks dissipate! you always karate chop me into action!

Spartan936
12-05-2005, 10:25 AM
*crawls out of hole.*

WORKOUT
-Warm up, whole body, cardio with weights, 20 min.
-Bent Over Rows 45x15 65x12 85x8 95x5

NUTRITION
-Brown rice, beans, veggies, soy, some fish, olive oil...
-Aimed for 4000 calories. Got to 3800. Feel like I need more.

GOALS
-Bulk to 150 pounds by feb. 06
-drink more water.

COMMENTS
-Women are confusing, irritating, and dangerous. Like if the sun turned into a giant strobe light one day. Tomorrow is Squat day, I guess.

Spartan936
12-05-2005, 11:05 PM
btw, I'm going mostly veggie... minus occasional fish, and some leaner meats. We'll see.

Oxygen
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
can I ask why you are doing a lot of exercise if you are trying to gain weight? I am new, please don't flame, just curious

Spartan936
01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
And so Oxygen pulls me out of oblivion.

Is that a metaphor or what?

Don't worry Oxy, I won't flame you.

The main idea behind eating lots and exercising is to make the body gain muscle... as opposed to fat. If you ate lots and didn't lift weights, you'd end up a fatty. I lift a few times a week, and do cardio and sprinting and whatnot... but my workouts are fairly short.

As for me I'm tired. And I might post tomorrow. ha.

Spartan936
02-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Yesterday's Workout.

15 minutes of crossfit-inspired anaerobic/cardio madness.
People stared.
Dumb people.

Dumbell Bent Over Rows - 15/10/8 with a couple of 10's, 15's, and 25's.
Done fast and ruthlessly - to make up for such low weights. I'm a pussy.

Diet consists of many cups white sugar, whey, carrots, broccoli, a potatoe, some steak, olive olive oil, and white rice bowl. Guessing around 4000 cals, maybe 170 protein, but who's counting? I'm bulking.

Note to self: become masochist.

Spartan936
02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd better workout today.

Might go hiking with some friends.

Saw a naturopath. She recommended a "hypo-allergenic" diet. Not too shabby, even looks similar to the "what a bodybuilder eats" list, except without diary products or wheat or fatty meats. Maybe it'll help and I won't be so f******* tired. ugh.

That's it, I'm starting a fight club.

clawhammer_33
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I'd better workout today.

Might go hiking with some friends.

Saw a naturopath. She recommended a "hypo-allergenic" diet. Not too shabby, even looks similar to the "what a bodybuilder eats" list, except without diary products or wheat or fatty meats. Maybe it'll help and I won't be so f******* tired. ugh.

***I got a diet for you that helped my gain a **** load of mass, basically whatever your eating now plus 1 entire pizza daily. Goes best with heavy lifting.

That's it, I'm starting a fight club.
***I'm in.

Spartan936
02-02-2006, 02:06 AM
"Making movies, making songs, and fightin' round the world!"

Bwahahaha, isn't that from south park?

Thanks man, but my stomach couldn't handle such an awesome feat. I'm some kinda wuss.

In other news, I in fact did not workout today. Saw some action with a lady friend though. Shame shame. Workouts are better. Tomorrow night I plan to hit the gym.

clawhammer_33
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
"Making movies, making songs, and fightin' round the world!"

Bwahahaha, isn't that from south park?

***Yeah, Russel crowe

Thanks man, but my stomach couldn't handle such an awesome feat. I'm some kinda wuss.

***Gotta stretch out the stomach man

In other news, I in fact did not workout today. Saw some action with a lady friend though. Shame shame. Workouts are better. Tomorrow night I plan to hit the gym.

"workouts are better." - you sure you did it right? ;)

Spartan936
02-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Okay maybe I was just trying to sound hardcore. I'll write my current belief in mathemathical equation.

Getting some = working out.

Thank Jesus it was squat day.

45x12 45x12 135x10 185x3 185x3

Sprinting, stretching, ab work.

Did everything fast to get the added bonus of cardio.

Tomorrow I bench.

Diet is mega clean. I ate Quinoa all day. 1,200 points for anyone who knows what it is.

lilmase1153
02-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Quinoa is like one of the best grains there is, (ok well its grain like but close enough) good stuff anyways. But I dont see how one could eat just quinoa all day maybe if it was mixed in something..

good luck on your bench day tomorrow

Spartan936
02-03-2006, 07:13 PM
thanks masey! Yeah I ate other stuff too. And I did have a good bench day...

45x12 105x10 115x8 115x8 135x3

Some cardio, stretched out crooked back.

Diet's gone to sh**. I feel tired, rundown and not hungry. I know I just need to eat, but I've got a real sensitve digestive system. ****!

I'm a mess. :confused:

Spartan936
02-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Cleans
45x12 65x10 95x7 95x6 (I think this is just pathetic. I pulled my neck too.)

Barbell Bicep Curls (Alternating grip, er... you know what I mean.)
40x12 60x10 60x8 60x7

Shrugs
60x12 80x10 80x8

Sprinting, cardio, stretching.

Watched teh UFC. Pumped me up, inspired me. Kinda sad about Randy Couture.

Diet was Quinoa, white rice milk (homemade, lol), turkey, olive oil, fruit juice...

Spartan936
02-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Yesterday's workout

Shoulder Press
45x12 65x10 95x4 95x4

Close Grip Bench
45x12 65x10 95x4 (my tri's seem to overpower my delts)

Sprinting, a little cardio...

Today's workout... to be posted.

Spartan936
02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Today's workout... as promised.

Warmup on elliptical.

Bent Over Rows
45x12 45x12 65x10 95x7

Sprinting in empty basketball court

Stretching

Anaerobic Elliptical work.

Diet is quinoa, white rice milk, buffalo :evillaugh , fruit juice, olive oil... uuuggh about 3700 calories, 130 grams of protein... Stomach too full.

Short Term Goals: Not be so tired. Write out a definite workout routine. Try to eat more food, and a wider variety of food. Get some.

Spartan936
02-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Today, err... yesterday was cardioday.

I did cardio.

Spartan936
02-10-2006, 03:44 AM
*throws liquor bottle*

Spartan936
02-10-2006, 03:46 AM
I really need to pull myself together.

:burger:

:strong:

:angel:

:hump:

:read:

:bang:

brickt.
02-10-2006, 04:36 AM
There be some crazy shizt going down, yo.

PS: WTF is in your avatar? That is one UGLY mofo.

Spartan936
02-15-2006, 12:22 AM
^Thanks brotha

Alright, I'm in one piece.

And it's some sorta primate in my avatar.

Ran 5 miles last two days.

Tomorrow I lift.

Stackattack
02-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Isn't it the ape man from 'Harry and the Hendersons'.

Spartan936
02-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I have no idea where it came from stack. I googled pictures of apes, and it was the funniest, and thus I chose it.

Bench 135 x 4

Today I benched a plate a side. 45's baby.

I'm a big boy now. I drink my milk right out of the carton.

I did other stuff too.