PDA

View Full Version : Good Mornings?

jack_of_all
08-06-2005, 03:41 PM
ok, i tried to really do these for the first damn time EVER today and had a rough time. it seems that my max is probably like 95 lbs lol.

apparently ive become inflexible since i started lifting because i cant go down all that far far without noticeable back rounding. (i can get to around half way between 45 degrees and parlell with the ground before it starts to kick in) i think i remember hearing you dont bring your torso all the way to paralell but i dont know. how far down should i go?

ok, i basically CANT do gm's without rouding my back. without any weight i would round my back in that motion. maybe its not so much rounded as it is straight and im just used to having my back arched in dls and such, but its definitley close to rounding with maybe a very slight (not visible) back rounding.

what variations do you think are the best for gms? right now i think i can only do them with considerable knee bend and normal foot placement, or a very wide foot placement and slight knee bend. i cant do them with an arched back at all.

so should i work on flexibility, and if so, how? or will doing them good and hard on a very frequent basis when i start westside correct itself?

i really liked the feel of this exercise but i just cant do them worth **** right now.

Miguel Zambia
08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I just go ahead & stand with about the same foot placement as I do on real squats & DL, which is basically Sumo.

I've been working more & more on making sure I get the bar down toward the middle of my back (not literally, but as an idealized goal).

I think if you suck in you abs, and bend over as if you're trying to do a Keystone Deadlift, you might get the arched back. Keystone Deadlifts are Stiffleg Deadlifts, only you stick your butt out like a cartoon-character Keystone Cop. This causes you NOT to be able to bend over all the way so the bar can't reach the ground all the way -- but that's okay. The goal of Keystone DL is to hit your hamstrings. On a Keystone DL, I only let the bar go down just around the knees, maybe an inch or so lower. With the focus on sticking your ass out like a Keystone Cop, your back is forced to arch properly.

I find the Good Morning is to Squat, what Keystone DL is to regular Deadlift (which in my case is Sumo).

Hope that helps.

drew
08-08-2005, 09:35 AM
DO them with just a bar. Get your arch really tight, like you're going to squat. Place your feet wherever you have to to keep your balance and only use a slight knee bend. When you are comfortable with this, bring your feet in some. When you can do the bar with your feet closer than shoulder width and with a tight arch, move up 10lbs. Continue to increase the weight without losing the form. It takes a little time, but you'll get it.

b_sinning
08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Good morning are something that if you try to add too much weight too fast you can do some serious damage. I'm careful with them but they help alot.

Relentless
08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
for flexibility in this movement, stretch your hams, glutes, and everything in your hip area

trich daddy
08-14-2005, 01:06 AM
ah, I can remember the days I used to be able to put my palms on the floor with locked knees

this thread has inspired me to take up daily stretching again and throw in some GM's