PDA

View Full Version : College and Work

Munky
08-07-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm gonna be going to college soon and i'm going to have to find a new job. I currently work in construction but i don't think this is the best field to work in during college with the late hours and all its not very flexible. I'm kind of low on ideas right now i've already applied at Lowe's and Home Depot as a Sales Assoctiate, but I would just like to ask you people where did you guys work during college?

RussianRocket
08-07-2005, 06:24 PM
i'm in the same boat as you. Gonna have to find a job for University. This summer i worked as a production worker in a juice factory, well still working. Dont have any ideas, but wouldn't mind hearing some as well.

Roark
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
i worked mostly at restaurants

i loved it. there's always a pretty interesting social circle that revolves around restaurants. especially when all the workers are college-aged.

pbsteve09
08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
In my college we have alot of on campus jobs, those are outstanding. But around the area we have alot of mexican, hot-dog, sub, etc etc resturants around...those are pretty flexable on hrs.

BilltheButcher
08-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Bouncing, bartending, restaurants. Good enough money for college and also keeps you social while you make money.

HahnB
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Fed-ex or ups isn't bad. I'm just starting at fed ex and the pay is better than what you would get at home depot. The hours are good too, for me anyways(6-11pm). It kind of pays off more if you're in it for the long run, but it isn't a bad job for a student.

GMCtrk
08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
There are TONS of jobs at the university for students, they will employ you in a snap. Plus the jobs are easy as **** and you have time to do homework

Shao-LiN
08-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Yah, in most cases, you can do homework while you supposedly are working, hehe. I remember helping a friend out at the UCI arcade. Lots of music, lots of people, lots of time to study.

Genacide
08-08-2005, 04:38 AM
I worked at a factory all the way throught college. Was getting paid twice what a lot of "college type" jobs pay.

Y2A
08-08-2005, 05:10 AM
Grocery store as a fresh-junior and local supplements store as a senior. The supp store was the best, I could do homework and play on the internet. Not a lot of money in either job though.

MM
08-08-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm tutoring people in English/Writing and selling women jewlery and over priced art.

TwiloMike
08-08-2005, 07:20 AM
I worked at a night club. They were open only Friday and Saturday nights. I took the Saturday night job, and a friend of mine took the Friday night. It was good money and didn't interfere with school.

RussianRocket
08-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm hoping to get a campus job, or something that i can do about 2 or 3 times a week to keep some food on the table.

Built
08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I tutored Algebra and Calculus privately, mostly to high school students whose parents could afford to pay me (with college students, you end up trading for them washing dishes for you or something - they're all broke!).

I also got TAships and jobs marking math homework and tests.

I really liked tutoring - they came to ME so I could book them back-to-back, I could book students around my school commitments, and it paid WAY better than Starbucks...

Praetorian
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm a science guinea pig.

All I have to do is to show up at Medical Centre, twice a week for a month, eat breakfast laced with sugar and I get paid $500. It's sweet. :) They are doing some bloodsugar tests.

BG5150
08-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Try to get a job at either the school gym or a local gym. "Happy is the man whose work is his hobby."

Dedicated
08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I would try to find a job on campus and at the same time make sure it is related to your major. This would be ideal. If not, just a job on campus is good I think.

RussianRocket
08-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm a science guinea pig.

All I have to do is to show up at Medical Centre, twice a week for a month, eat breakfast laced with sugar and I get paid $500. It's sweet. :) They are doing some bloodsugar tests.

thats what i'm leanning towards, That alone would put food and booze on my table.

Sensei
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I drove a bus on and off campus. They trained you for your CDL. It was a great job at the time - decent hourly wage and flexible hours.

GMCtrk
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I am telling you on campus jobs are the way to go!

The best way to do this is to GET INVOLVED freshman year right off the bat. Get to know important people. I worked for a guy freshman year doing audio/video setups and webpage work.

We run into eachother earlier today and he offers me a job on the spot for the school year $12/hr.