PDA

View Full Version : Mendy Hits 914.5 at 308!!!!

Lil Mendy
08-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Well he finally broke the 900 barrier. He hit 914.5 today with a second attempt of 1008. He literally was so close that if the wind blew in his direction it would have been locked out. It was that very last elbow that just would not go. He weighed in at 308. Now it is on to reconstructive surgery for his foot. Congrats Mendy!! On a great day and your First California State APF Meet!! As well as the New American Record(World Record) at 308

Lil Mendy :)

GMCtrk
08-07-2005, 07:50 PM
what kind of shirt did he have on.

How much did rychalak weight when he did 1005?

Lil Mendy
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
He wore an Inzer double denim grid stitch. Gene weighed over 400+lbs when he hit his 1005.

Sensei
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Scot is just freaking amazing. I think just about every powerlifter agrees that if he can just get better with extreme shirts he would destroy everyone and every record...

I remember seeing him at the APF Iowa meet last year... He is a mountain of a man. You cannot appreciate how massive his upper body is through pictures or video. There's absolutely NO WAY he is able to walk through doorways without turning sideways!

Guido
08-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Yep. The guy is just massive, and can back up his equipped lifts with some very impressive RAW ones, as well. I believe he just set a new all time RAW bench press record with a 715lb press, well surpassing the lifts of the great Kaz and others.

b_sinning
08-08-2005, 07:59 AM
ANy current pictures of him?

Alex.V
08-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Yep. The guy is just massive, and can back up his equipped lifts with some very impressive RAW ones, as well. I believe he just set a new all time RAW bench press record with a 715lb press, well surpassing the lifts of the great Kaz and others.

And that is why the man is god.

Miguel Zambia
08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Okay, 900 is amazing (Did someone else actually already do 1,000?????????), but the fact remains, without the shirt, he goes down nearly 200 lbs. Not that 700 raw isn't incredible, but, for example, James Hollywood Henderson, and some others, have already done that.

What, exactly, is special about being the best in the world using, basically, a machine (extreme bench shirts) to do over 25% of the work for you?

The lack of supportive equipment in the DEADLIFT is the reason why the DEADLIFT remains the TRUEST TEST OF ACTUAL STRENGTH.

Lil Mendy
08-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Well first of all, maybe you should compete against me. I am 165lbs, and lift more than you do. That seems to be impressive to me. Have you ever tried to bench double or triple your body weight? How about squatting?? Deadlifting??

Scot weighed in at 302lbs! At this meet. When he was 270 He pulled 800lbs raw no belt just shorts, he has squatted 1000 raw no equipment.

He has benched 715 raw incompetition-( Gym) 755 RAW!
He has benched 915 in competition with a shirt.

Scot is one of those people who does not get all that he can out of his gear. I am not saying he is god, but he is one seriously strong person who does not cheat, and goes out there and does what he can for this sport.

Maybe you should have some more respect and know your facts before you go off saying things you do not know much about.

Miguel Zambia
08-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Naw, I suck, I freely admit it. But at least I lift completely raw. Also, I don't compete. I do it just because I really like it.

I realize there's lots & lots of people like you much smaller who lift much more. Somewhere there's a small Chinese girl warming up with my max.

Still, none of that has anything to do with the obsessive craze some people have about extreme shirt bench presses. It's amazing, but it's still kind of empty. 700 raw is more respectable (completely amazing, really) than 900 or 1000 bound up in a hydraulic machine. 900 raw would be all that much more respectable.

Your lifting ability is not a good logical argument against what I said.

shansen008
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Naw, I suck, I freely admit it. But at least I lift completely raw. Also, I don't compete. I do it just because I really like it.

I realize there's lots & lots of people like you much smaller who lift much more. Somewhere there's a small Chinese girl warming up with my max.

Still, none of that has anything to do with the obsessive craze some people have about extreme shirt bench presses. It's amazing, but it's still kind of empty. 700 raw is more respectable (completely amazing, really) than 900 or 1000 bound up in a hydraulic machine. 900 raw would be all that much more respectable.

I gotta gree with him here, i dont see how comparing your lifts to his and getting into a pissing contest proves anything. While the lifts are impressive, and im not taking anything away from this "Mendy", he sure sounds like a monster, i do also have to agree that ive never found benching with equipment to be very impressive. Its as if we have just about reached our species strength threshold and we are using any means to break through it. Once you start adding equipment to help you put up more weight i think you invalidate it to some extent....at least its not AS impressive to me.

Things liek knee wraps for squats are different IMO, because they help stabilize the joint more than anyhting else...they arent really adding resistance per se. Bench shirts are resisting the weight to help you get it off your chest, so basically youre still pretty much benching whatever your raw is most likely hehe....after that its up to your tri's to be able to hold that extra 200lbs or so :).

So take it easy homeboy, nobody here is saying we would kick this guys ass in a lifting comp....hes a beast for sure. I just think comps as a whole should drop shirted bench completely...and concentrate on RAW human power. Its ludicrous to me to take two guys that are so close in strength that it could be pretty much a toss up who would win a meet, but one used a tighter stitched multi layered shirt (and practiced in it more) so he beats the other dude. You ever seen a dogs head turn sideways when it hears an odd sound? Yeah thats me on the subject of bench shirts...i just dont get it.

Lil Mendy
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I gotta gree with him here, i dont see how comparing your lifts to his and getting into a pissing contest proves anything. While the lifts are impressive, and im not taking anything away from this "Mendy", he sure sounds like a monster, i do also have to agree that ive never found benching with equipment to be very impressive. Its as if we have just about reached our species strength threshold and we are using any means to break through it. Once you start adding equipment to help you put up more weight i think you invalidate it to some extent....at least its not AS impressive to me.

Things liek knee wraps for squats are different IMO, because they help stabilize the joint more than anyhting else...they arent really adding resistance per se. Bench shirts are resisting the weight to help you get it off your chest, so basically youre still pretty much benching whatever your raw is most likely hehe....after that its up to your tri's to be able to hold that extra 200lbs or so :).

So take it easy homeboy, nobody here is saying we would kick this guys ass in a lifting comp....hes a beast for sure. I just think comps as a whole should drop shirted bench completely...and concentrate on RAW human power. Its ludicrous to me to take two guys that are so close in strength that it could be pretty much a toss up who would win a meet, but one used a tighter stitched multi layered shirt (and practiced in it more) so he beats the other dude. You ever seen a dogs head turn sideways when it hears an odd sound? Yeah thats me on the subject of bench shirts...i just dont get it.
First of all I am not Homeboy!! I am a girl!!! Secondly, I was not getting pissy just stating facts and my opinion's just like everyone else.

debussy
08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
oh god, lets not have a raw vs equipped war on wbb. this is a bb site... nobody is going to know **** about gear anyway. they think its "cheating".

b_sinning
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Just imagine how badass you feel after lifting that much weight.

Thinking to yourself "I can bench a Yugo!"

harv
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Mendy,
Did I read that right...you're a 165 lb female and you can bench more than 410??
Daaayum!
:bow:

CarlP
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Mendy,
Did I read that right...you're a 165 lb female and you can bench more than 410??
Daaayum!

I now feel very small. :help:

Lil Mendy
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Mendy,
Daaayum!
Basically yes!

Patz
08-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Basically yes!

Could you elaborate on this a bit?

Never mind..google answers all things.

Sensei
08-08-2005, 09:26 PM

There is no logic to the raw vs. equipped debate Miguel. There are only opinions and rules. If the rules allow for equipment, the athlete that wants to win will use the best equipment. It really is that simple. This is the essential difference between competitive powerlifting and "just lifting to better oneself".

The bottom line is that Scot Mendelson is, arguably, the best bench presser (raw OR equipped) to have ever lived. For that he deserves respect. Is there a need to rehash the raw versus equipped debate every single time someone posts an equipped number?....

HelpMeLift
08-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Mendy,
Daaayum!

I now feel very small. :help:

that is freakin amazing! :omg: is that the world record for the women's BP?

Patz
08-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I'll buy it...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:_iK61IcSLkAJ:www.irongame.com/recordsrankings/rankings/Womens90kg198lb.htm+shawna+mendelson+bench+press+&hl=en&client=firefox-a

harv
08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Basically yes!
:omg: :omg: :omg:
That is, without a doubt, the most impressive lift I've seen/heard of on this board. W...O...W

Alex.V
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Bah, I call good genetics. Clearly you can only lift so much because your brother wears a bench shirt when he sets his records.

;)

chris mason
08-09-2005, 08:48 AM

Your whole argument is stupid because you are bitching about the man who holds the all-time RAW record.

Scott has benched more than anyone ever has RAW. Get it?

James Henderson lifted less than him and weighed a heck of a lot more.

Ok, now, with respect to equipment I prefer RAW lifting as well and the deadlift is a great test of strength but I think you could have found a more constructive way to speak your opinion.

chris mason
08-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Ok, and Lil Mendy is Scott's sister so you will understand her taking offense at pot shots at her brother.

Guido
08-09-2005, 09:03 AM
:omg: :omg: :omg:
That is, without a doubt, the most impressive lift I've seen/heard of on this board. W...O...WI've seen Becca Swanson in person squat over 700lbs, bench over 500, and deadlift over 600. I'd say that was the most impressive I've ever seen. But Lil Mendy is definitely right close up there with her.

Lil Mendy
08-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks you guys!!I am getting there slowly but surely. Clearly I can only lift as much as I do because my brother wears a bench shirt sometimes, and sometimes he doesn't!! HAHAHAH LOL!!!

I also have to update my website with my new stats etc..

Alex.V
08-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks you guys!!I am getting there slowly but surely. Clearly I can only lift as much as I do because my brother wears a bench shirt sometimes, and sometimes he doesn't!! HAHAHAH LOL!!!

I also have to update my website with my new stats etc..

Clearly. ;)

Definitely update the website, girl. We'd all love to see the latest.

Lil Mendy
08-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I'll buy it...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:_iK61IcSLkAJ:www.irongame.com/recordsrankings/rankings/Womens90kg198lb.htm+shawna+mendelson+bench+press+&hl=en&client=firefox-a
BTW, I am not in the 198 weight class. Those numbers are from over 2 years ago.

KingJustin
08-10-2005, 10:38 AM
The whole point of the bench shirt isn't to get some kind of "machine" to help lift the weight so that lifters get inflated totals. That would be ridiculous. Conversely, when human beings get strong enough to lift that much weight, it simply becomes too hard on their shoulders and joints, and therefore unless we want a bunch of powerlifters with no mobility later in life, allowing squat suits and bench shirts seems like a great idea. Either way, Scott holds the raw bench record anyway, and him and his sister (hey Lil' Mendy!) are 2 of the most impressive powerlifters of all time.

Meat_Head
08-10-2005, 11:20 AM

At least you know where you are... When you can get your max anywhere near his WITH a bench shirt, then start complaining about how they aren't a true test of strength. Actually, if you get to that point you'll stop talking because you'll realize how wrong you were...

ThatSkinnyGuy
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Do you ever feel the need to just pick up a passerby and toss them, since you have the surplus of strength to actually do so?

MixmasterNash
08-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Here y'all go:
http://xragepower.com/vid/Mendy-Bench-APFStateMeet.wmv

Geez, he has such weak triceps, he can't even lock out the 2nd and 3rd attempts. :D j/k!!!! They were both 1008. Insane!

Guido
08-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Do you ever feel the need to just pick up a passerby and toss them, since you have the surplus of strength to actually do so?HA HA HA HA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes. And that would be awesome.

biggimp
08-12-2005, 11:09 AM
sounds like somebody's jealous. also those lifts from 30 years ago most likely wouldnt count by today's standards, since the rules werent the same. i wouldnt be surprised if that "925 lb deadlift" was hitched all the way up, and with straps, like in worlds strongest man competitions... and i also wouldnt be surprised if hendersons bench was done w/o a pause and put up unevenly...

sorry you feel bad because you arent in the same league as these guys, but please just get over it. you are the only person here that doesnt understand that equipment prevents injury.

dw06wu
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Here y'all go:
http://xragepower.com/vid/Mendy-Bench-APFStateMeet.wmv

Geez, he has such weak triceps, he can't even lock out the 2nd and 3rd attempts. :D j/k!!!! They were both 1008. Insane!
I thought feet had to be flat on the floor? Or am I just not seeing something? Or maybe that's not even a rule.

Lil Mendy
08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
sounds like somebody's jealous. also those lifts from 30 years ago most likely wouldnt count by today's standards, since the rules werent the same. i wouldnt be surprised if that "925 lb deadlift" was hitched all the way up, and with straps, like in worlds strongest man competitions... and i also wouldnt be surprised if hendersons bench was done w/o a pause and put up unevenly...

sorry you feel bad because you arent in the same league as these guys, but please just get over it. you are the only person here that doesnt understand that equipment prevents injury.

Hurray!!!!!!!! I agree. Get over it already!! Your argument is no argument here. I do not think you will ever truly understand. Good Luck lifting :)

Sensei
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
There is NO VALIDITY to lifts done using shirts (machines!) that add 150, 200, 250 lbs. more to your bench.
Take me. I bench (have benched) 410 RAW.
If I add one of these Mendy-type shirts, I'll probably be benching at least 550, maybe 600 lbs. But am I REALLY benching 600 lbs.? Hell, no.
I'd be simply CHEATING, no if's and's or but's about it.

Why is it "cheating" if the rules allow it? What kind of sports background do you have?

"Mendy-type shirts"... LOL! You would NOT be benching 550 to 600lbs - I assure you. It would take a lot of training to do so.

In 30 YEARS, THE WORLD RECORD DEADLIFT HAS INCREASED ONLY 8 POUNDS. In 30 YEARS, THE WORLD RECORD BENCH PRESS HAS INCREASED (AT MOST) ONLY 40-SOMETHING POUNDS.

You know what? The 100 meter dash record, the long jump records haven't improved that much in that time either. I bet the pole vault and the high jump have had much more dramatic improvments. Are the pole vaulters cheaters because they use composite rather than wooden poles? Are the high jumpers cheaters because they flop onto a padded mat rather than land on their feet in a sandpit? Hell, are the sprinters cheaters too because they have better shoes and run on a faster track?

What about swimmers? In the late sixties, they didn't have goggles. Are almost all competitive swimmers who now use goggles cheaters? I mean, it is an insult to those old-timers who didn't have the benefit of wearing goggles in training or competiton, isn't it?

THESE CLAIMS OF 800, 900, AND 1,000 POUND BENCH PRESSES ARE 100% COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL****.
I DON'T NEED TO BE ABLE TO BENCH PRESS 700 POUNDS TO STATE THAT FACT, AND YOU CAN KISS MY ASS IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE.

It's not a fact. It is an opinion. And we all know that opinions are like ......., everyone has one.

Meat_Head
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Zambia, stop talking man. Seriously. :rolleyes: :ninja: :bash: :shoot: :soapbox: :newbie: outnumber :whiner:

Lil Mendy
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I thought feet had to be flat on the floor? Or am I just not seeing something? Or maybe that's not even a rule.

Depends on the federation. APF/WPO they do not have to be flat.

dw06wu
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Depends on the federation. APF/WPO they do not have to be flat.
Ah, I see. That is an amazing bench. I'd love to see a video of you doing some lifts. 410 @ 165 female, that is amazing.

WBBIRL
08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Im not harpin on Scott here or anything, but did anyone else find his ROM in those vids posted to be really small??? It looks very odd, his chest must be like 70 inches around.

I mean no offense by this, the video itself may be at fault.. it was just my observation... I would be extremely lucky to ever bench 3/4 that much weight.

biggimp
08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
i will be lucky to bench half that...

sh0es
08-13-2005, 01:46 PM
man that guys a ****ing beast, most i have ever seen any1 bench

best of Luck!

Lil Mendy
08-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Im not harpin on Scott here or anything, but did anyone else find his ROM in those vids posted to be really small??? It looks very odd, his chest must be like 70 inches around.

I mean no offense by this, the video itself may be at fault.. it was just my observation... I would be extremely lucky to ever bench 3/4 that much weight.

Shoulders 80, His chest is 69', Neck is 24.5, Arms are 20, waist 38, quads are 40. He is 6'1 and Weighed in at 302 lbs!!!!!!

You can say he has always eaten his wheaties!!!

Lil Mendy
08-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Ah, I see. That is an amazing bench. I'd love to see a video of you doing some lifts. 410 @ 165 female, that is amazing.

The best female bench press in the 165 class is Julie Scanlon 428lbs at 165.

I actually do not have any vid's of it. I just did it two weeks ago. I am competing Nov 12th upstate NY. I will be competing in the 181 weight class. 3 lift meet. I usually weigh in at around 176 or so.

RickTheDestroyer
08-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Shoulders 80, His chest is 69', Neck is 24.5, Arms are 20, waist 38, quads are 40. He is 6'1 and Weighed in at 302 lbs!!!!!!

You can say he has always eaten his wheaties!!!

Holy **** that's huge. WBBIRL you were damn close.

About the ROM thing- isn't half the point of benching with an arch the fact that it shortens the range of motion? (With the other half being that you're more stable and at a stronger angle?) I don't think anyone would expect him to lift in a manner that made him unable to lift as much...
Not to mention- it's not as though he could probably extend his range of motion by much even if he wanted to- arms don't stretch that well. :)

Lil Mendy
08-20-2005, 07:42 PM
:) Your ROM is shortend a lot when you have an arch. It is not like he has an 8 inch stroke like some people do. His ROM is relativley normal. You are right. It is not like you can stretch your arms!!

bill
08-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Lil Mendy your bro is prob the greatest bencher ever. I think that he got some luck with them not calling a bad lift off , the followed him down a little. He didn't help lift the wt but I think (the spotter) almost disqualfied you bro.

Lil Mendy
08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Actually, no he did not. Have ever been to an Arnold classic meet, or another WPO meet?? Ever been to a Nationals meet?? My brothers hand off guy is not the first to do that. I do agree that he may have been on the platform a little too long, but it did not make the lift any easier!! Thanks for your support!! :thumbup:

noraa
08-21-2005, 01:58 AM
W
Because James Hollywood Henderson benched 711 RAW about 30 YEARS AGO.

What THAT tells us is that Mendelson AT BEST is "only" a little bit stronger than somebody 30 YEARS AGO.

A guy named Don Wohbehler (sp?) DEADLIFTED 925 lbs. about 30 YEARS AGO.

In 30 YEARS, THE WORLD RECORD DEADLIFT HAS INCREASED ONLY 8 POUNDS.

A guy named James Henderson BENCHED 711 lbs. about 30 YEARS AGO.

In 30 YEARS, THE WORLD RECORD BENCH PRESS HAS INCREASED (AT MOST) ONLY 40-SOMETHING POUNDS.

Do you expect people to take you seriously?

do you understand your powerlifting history?

James Henderson broke Bill Kazmiers old mark with a 711lb bench press, on the 13 July 1997 in Philadelphia.

Maybe you are thinking about the other James, or as he was usually known, Jim Williams, who Pressed 675 in 1972?

Strangely in 1970 Jim benched 625, and in 1971 he pressed 635. Strangely after that ~10lb gain in a year, he gained 40lbs the following year.

Jim started to wear elbow wraps at the time, which was allowed under the rules of the day in his federation.

deadweight
08-21-2005, 08:20 PM
hey lil mendy, wow you certainly are strong, i look up to your brother , he is just amazing, definately the best presser ever.

deadweight
08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
lol new to the boards, but it looks like a nice board.

Lil Mendy
08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks!! Big Mendy is great!! Not only as a lifter, but as a person too!! He is a very likeable person :) Welcome to the board!! The is a solid forum. Everyone is cool, and they work hard.. It is nice to come here.

Shawna

deadweight
08-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks!! Big Mendy is great!! Not only as a lifter, but as a person too!! He is a very likeable person :) Welcome to the board!! The is a solid forum. Everyone is cool, and they work hard.. It is nice to come here.

Shawna
haha yes.. i like that video of him.. talking to all the goheavy people

Lil Mendy
08-26-2005, 08:13 PM
HAHAHAHAH!! That is funny!! Everyone mentions that to me!!!