PDA

View Full Version : slimfast

big calvin
08-07-2005, 08:56 PM
i have been drinking these shakes alot for a week now and i just wanted some input on if they can mess my GI track up or not... im still regular but i can feel empty at times not hunger but empty. i normally eat 2 shakes in the morning(10am) then a meal of rice and chicken or pasta and chicken before work(1-2pm) then have my dinner at work at 7:30 another 2 shakes and if im not sleepy and it gets late at night(1-2) i have maybe some lean meat or deli turkey before bed. now im not talking about the sugar filled slim fast im drinking the low carb ones...and the only reason i choose these over atkin shakes was atkin shakes are $6 for 4 and these are $4.50 for 4... both have 20g protein/4-5g carbs/9g fat per can so...

now like i said i have ben doing this for just a week but i just noticed my belt is 1 notch smaller and im not always thinking of food because i only eat once or twice real meals, the only complaint would be it feels like my stomach is empty and sometimes makes noises(not gas but its hard to explain) . i feel good almost always and i do sometimes get into ketosis(if no rice is eaten for a day or 2 like today i was in the pink color ketosis 2 bars up from neg.) but for the most part im feelin pretty good. and the belt thing has me kinda excited.

now i just wanted to add im a little over 380lbs 5'11 22 years old and about 42-45% bodyfat last time i checked.. i averaged it to about 2200 calories so its low but not deadly. is there any harm in drinking most meals? its only been a week so i cant tell if im doing more harm then good.

please comment on this i just need a little advise.

thanks,
calvin

Shao-LiN
08-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, you're drinking a shake as opposed to eating whole food. It's not going to give you much of a satiated feeling.

big calvin
08-07-2005, 11:01 PM
but is that all? because i dont feel major hunger like i thought i would just no "bloat" feeling but a "air-ey" feelin in my stomach but thats the only complaint so far.

YungLifter
08-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Why do you take slim fast anyway?

Nuts
08-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Calvin, I have come to love the "empty" feeling in my stomach, especially around bed time. I'm a big believer in keeping an empty stomach at night, although some would disagree with me. Your body is at rest during the night, so why feed it?

Anyway, if you have the coin, slim fast is a decent choice, but I would much prefer to blend my own, it's alot cheaper and you can experiment with all types of fruit additives to give yourself a more interesting taste.

big calvin
08-08-2005, 09:44 AM
YungLifter, because its cheaper then the other pre-made shakes and i need something for work thats easy to carry and bring with me.. i was doing sandwhiches but its easy to buy things wen u have a sandwhich(chips,soda) to go along wit it...with the shakes... i dont think its just this is wha im drinking/eating thats it so its easier for me to follow

Nuts, yea its a empty feeling not so much hunger just empty like u said... also the powder shakes are a little harder because most dont taste great with water and shaken by hand(clumps) and these slimfast are great lol i carry 2 shakes and a empty large cup...fill the cup wit ice and pour the shake in it... easy and i havnt forgot to bring it once and i kinda look forward to the chocolate ones lol

ReelBigFish
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
You do realize that there are 17g. of sugar in each one of those right? Thats 68g of sugar a day. That's over 1/4 of sugar a day.
edit: are you drinking the Optima ones or the Low Carb lifestyle ones?

Lose them either way and either make your own shakes or eat some real food. I feel you're prob. eating too few cals and your metabolism is gunna slow down big time and yes you'll lose weight but you're risking more muscle mass. If you are taking in too few cals, then your body will hold on to fat and burn muscle.

big calvin
08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
reelbigfish, i normally have the low carb ones but if i run out and i dont have time ill get the opti ones(ive only had 4 opti in the whole week) but most all of them are the low carb ones.. im taking in about 2200 calories but im not working out yet is it still 2 little calories? what should it be at? 3000?

ReelBigFish
08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Well of course it depends on how active you are. I figured you were already working out and doing some cardio. Your LBM is ~160 and your BMR should be around 2000. this is just the cals you need to stay alive. I would maybe go to around 2500 or so to start out. You need to get around 1 to 1.5 gram of protein per lbm, keep the fats higher, say around 30% of cals. and fill the rest in with good carbs and fibrous veggies. You need to start working out and doing some cardio. Even if its a 30 min walk 3 times a week, you need to get moving. Just keep increasing the intensity of the walk and start jogging. It's going to take a lot of time and hard work. Don't follow a fad diet or do any crash dieting. Been there done that and trust me you don't wanna go there. Strength training is important because when you cut cals. your body is going to want to burn what's inside your body for fuel, be it fat or muscle. Muscle is quicker to go because it takes more for your body to maintain muscle than fat. By lifting you tell your body that you need this muscle, and your body is less likely to burn it.

malkore
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
You're eventually going to see nasty side effects from that many slimfast/MRP drinks. I tried to have 2 myoplex shakes a day, plus my post workout shake, and then 3 meals with whole protein, and either rice or veggies (I was cutting at the time).

Eventually every trip to the toilet was an 'emergency', resulting in mud butt and a stench that would make a rotting corpse smell like roses.
As soon as I cut back on the liquid protein, I was back to normal. Since your diet seems VERY lacking in fiber, I think you're on the same path I once took.

Shao-LiN
08-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Your body is at rest during the night, so why feed it?

Your body may be at "rest" for whatever that actually means, but it does not mean your metabolism has shut down. Over the course of the night, your body can turn to a catabolic state if you have not eaten anything at all.

Built
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I always eat my last meal just before I go to bed, especially while cutting.

Nuts
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Considering his situation, being overweight, would it not make sense that his body reserves of fat would be the target of nighttime metabolism? I'm no doctor, so I can't say one way or the other.

Built
08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I don't think it matters.

Nuts
08-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I guess I'm basing my opinion on how "I" feel at night. When I go to bed with food in my stomach, I sleep badly and wake up bloated. I imagine everyone is different.

YungLifter
08-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't. I actually sleep much better. I guess depends what you eat. I have cottage cheese and natty pb.

Built
08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I think it depends on a lot of things, including what it is that you eat, and the time of day that you train.

I train at night, so I save a lot of my calories for the evening, when I'm hungriest.

And my last meal of the day is usually cottage cheese with a peach or some blueberries and a handful of nuts. It's not a big heavy meal.

I've done it both ways (I've lost a fair bit of weight over the last four years), and I don't really think it makes any difference - I think the big problem is if you OVEREAT at night. Then you've got a lot of extra calories coming in. For people who don't track their food, little tricks like "don't eat after 8PM" can be helpful because they automatically restrict calories. I account for everything I put in my mouth, so it's different.

the doc
08-08-2005, 07:41 PM
there are some other reasons not to eat right before bedtime. Namely, a full stomach induces acid production by the stomach lining. This can seep into the esophagus causing damage whilst laying down.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
SlimFast is the devil. *waves angry fist*

:)

big calvin
08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
hmm... the fiber thing i think may be true... maybe i should add some peanuts for added calories/fat/fiber?

i just got some more shakes, i dont get why its so bad to drink a meal i mean i can understand if i wasnt eating any real food but i guess because i went from eating 2 not so great big meals a day to eating 1-2 cleaner meals and 4 shakes it isnt such a big deal for me. could this be why im doing ok?

thanks for all the help so far guys

Shao-LiN
08-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Nothing wrong with drinking a shake. Some people just prefer whole food over shakes. Personally, I find shakes really convenient and they tend to make up a majority of my diet since I'm too lazy to cook the night before. As long as they fit into your diet and you don't mind not being as satiated compared to eating whole foods, then it's fine. I would still try to get variety in your diet.

big calvin
08-09-2005, 07:03 AM
variety.... thats why they make chocolate,strawberrie or french vanilla :evillaugh lol

but ok ill try and add different things up maybe add fruits and peanuts and have differnet meats chicken,white fish,lean pork,lean steak..

thanks for all your guys help :)

monotone
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
but ok ill try and add different things up maybe add fruits and peanuts and have differnet meats chicken,white fish,lean pork,lean steak..

i dont really recomend pork as a great source of protien... also why limit yourself to white fish, salmon is my favorite fish and its good for you

Built
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Nothing wrong with lean cuts of pork. Pork tenderloin, for example, is very lean. Good source of protein.

big calvin
08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
i guess for taste... the main fish i like are white..and the pork i normally bake pork chops( + im leaning more to a lower carb diet although i eat rice sometimes the extra fat in pork isnt so bad)

big calvin
08-16-2005, 06:48 AM
update...

i am having a on and off pain on the left side of my stomach i dont know if its due to the shakes but i first thought cause the meal i eat are normally a little large , i get full then need to go to the bathroom and then the pain starts or it happens at night before going to bed again if i have another meal but a large one.