PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tried the new Skippy Natural

djreef
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
It doesn't need to be refrigerated (I guess it's the palm oil), and doesn't separate like natty. And most importantly it doesn't make me fart like a chorus of winos. YYYYEEEEAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

It does still have sugar in it, though, but hell I can live with that.

DJ

getfit
08-08-2005, 08:09 PM
but natty pb from what i know doesn't have sugar in it!

djreef
08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Right - i didn't formulate correctly. I meant has sugar like the other mass market brands.

DJ

TheGimp
08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
If it has both palm oil (which as a stabliser is also responsible for the lack of separation) and sugar then how does it classify as natty pb?

ShockBoxer
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
I use Kraft Natural Peanut butter. It's cheaper than the stuff in the health food section.

Ingredients: Roasted peanuts.

djreef
08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I think it's just a labelling thing. Everything in the product is natural - unprocessed.

DJ

thajeepster
08-09-2005, 12:40 AM
ive had it, i prefer regular natty myself, it was a little too sweet for my taste.

YungLifter
08-09-2005, 05:30 AM
I use smuckers.

arsoniq26
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Yea I just bought the skippy natural, its not REALLY natural, but hey its alil better than regular, next time I'm looking for Kraft.

djreef
08-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I'd eat natty, but for some stupid reason it tears me up. I run people out of the building at work it's so bad. I think it's a problem with digesting the oils because I have the same problem with flax oil and olive oil. It's weird because it's a fairly recent phenomenon (as within the last couple of years). I'd been able to take all that stuff before. Fortunately, now I've found a somewhat suitable replacement. I read the label last night. It only has 3 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons and no transfats, so I can live with that.

DJ

getfit
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I'd eat natty, but for some stupid reason it tears me up. I run people out of the building at work it's so bad. I think it's a problem with digesting the oils because I have the same problem with flax oil and olive oil. It's weird because it's a fairly recent phenomenon (as within the last couple of years). I'd been able to take all that stuff before. Fortunately, now I've found a somewhat suitable replacement. I read the label last night. It only has 3 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons and no transfats, so I can live with that.

DJ

maybe you have an allergic reaction to nuts and those types of oils!

i'm just guessing now

Built
08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
If it has both palm oil (which as a stabliser is also responsible for the lack of separation) and sugar then how does it classify as natty pb?
Palm oil and sugar are both natural foods.

djreef
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
No, cause I eat mixed nuts all day long - it's definitely the oil. Natty seems to have alot more oil than other types. It's strange, I've actually poured off the oil from a new jar of natty - which I didn't really want to do - and it still did it. I dunno, I guess I just can't pour off enough.

DJ

getfit
08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
mix the oil in don't pour it out!

TheGimp
08-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Palm oil and sugar are both natural foods.

I was under the impression that the definition we normally go by is a product whose ingredients list is "peanuts".

Built
08-09-2005, 06:45 PM
My biggest concern is trans fats. I wouldn't be terribly concerned to use a product that had a bit of sugar or palm oil in it, but I draw the line at hydrogenated fat.

I think there may be some confusion between "natural" and "pure".

djreef
08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Gimp -
I think you're right in the strictest sense. If you were to give it a Webster's type definition. Unfortunately, the Skippy is going to have to be as natural as I can go, given my digestive difficulties. Just thought the info might be good for someone else in my shoes. Doesn't appear to be too many, though. I'm defective.

DJ

Shao-LiN
08-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Why would you pour the oil out? Other than skewing the macros (not knowing how much actual fat is now in the peanut butter), peanut butter is a fat source...mix it in.

TheGimp
08-09-2005, 08:46 PM
My biggest concern is trans fats. I wouldn't be terribly concerned to use a product that had a bit of sugar or palm oil in it, but I draw the line at hydrogenated fat.

I think there may be some confusion between "natural" and "pure".

For sure. I don't eat a lot of PB myself but the kind I get does contain palm oil and salt, mainly due to a lack of options. (Aside from trans fats) It's mainly the added sugar I have a problem with. It strikes me as unnecessary - empty calories - but then my philosophy is one of food for function, not for taste.

Built
08-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Yes, it's funny how that happens to us in this sport... <sigh>

djreef
08-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Shao -

read the first part of the post. That will clue you in to why I have to pour out the oil.

DJ