PDA

View Full Version : cutting - cardio or weights

AzBboy
08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what plays a more important role in cutting, cardio or weight training? This, aside from diet, of course. I understand each are important, but which is more beneficial to getting shredded? I ask this because I am unsure if i should add more weight training to my schedule, I only lift once a week and cardio twice a week.

Slim Schaedle
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Add weight training

Built
08-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Cutting:

DIET, to lose weight
HEAVY WEIGHTS, to convince your body to hang on to muscle and instead drop fat
CARDIO, to let you eat slightly more while you cut

Add in at least one more weight session.

mattanshrager
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
CARDIO, to let you eat slightly more while you cut

but who knows what calories your burning during cardio?
i believe diet manipulation is it. no cardio
but i say this in a 90% kind of way, i want someone to argue with me.

EDIT: by "what calories" i meant "what kind of calories"

eastbaylifter
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm not going to argue, because I'll just say what worked for ME. I lost 60 lbs total (incl. adding 20 lbs of new muscle mass) by a combination of diet + weights + cardio. Asking what's most important isn't the relevant question....it's how to effectively combine the three elements into your fat loss program. Some people claim to do well with no cardio at all. But like Built says, cardio lets you eat a little more. And I love food too much to cut my diet too drastically.

mattanshrager
08-09-2005, 02:58 PM
my point (if it's true) is that it seems to me that the calories that cardio burns off can obviously be from muscle tissue as well. seems that its just too dangerous, and a simple modification of diet (slight increase of protein and slowly lowering carbs) seems to be a risk free way of maintaining nearly all achieved mass.

eastbaylifter
08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
My experience has been that LONG, SLOW cardio can and does burn muscle (look at marathon runners - they have no arms or chest). But if you do HIIT, keep it no longer than 30 minutes a session, muscle is not lost. That's what I've been doing 5 days a week for the last 6 months and I haven't lost a pound of muscle.

d'Anconia
08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of cardio either. The amount of calories that I can burn during regular cardio (excluding HIIT) are really a petty amount and I hate spending 30 minutes of my time doing cardio. Not just that, cardio is just plain boring and uncomfortable. Diet manipulation is key.

I'm also with mattanshrager on this one, I lift hard to build muscle and don't need some stupid cardio routine (excluding HIIT again) to hinder my progress.

AzBboy
08-09-2005, 11:52 PM
DOH! I got the answer I cringed...I LOVE cardio I could do it 24/7. Man this stinks. Well, I'll go w/ weights more frequent than cardio. Now I'll have to re-adjust my eating all over again cus im eating enough to support tons of cardio and only lose 1 pound a week but now that I won't be able to do my frequent cardio, I'm gonna have to eat a load more. Thank you all for your knowledge everyone.

Built
08-10-2005, 12:00 AM
You'll have to eat MORE now that you're going to do LESS cardio?

Gr3mlin73
08-10-2005, 02:00 AM
This is my first cut. I keep my weights heavy as I can, I have adjusted my diet and I am losing a kilo+ per week. I dont do cardio, but only coz I dont wanna risk losing alot of the muscle size I have put on. I just go for walks with the missus and chase my daughter around, that works for me. But I would like to increase my cardio performance one day....

Dedicated
08-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi, I was just wondering what plays a more important role in cutting, cardio or weight training? This, aside from diet, of course. I understand each are important, but which is more beneficial to getting shredded? I ask this because I am unsure if i should add more weight training to my schedule, I only lift once a week and cardio twice a week.
I do know that if you lift weights you can get stronger while cutting and maintain your muscle in some cases. If you do cardio only you aren't really gaining alot of muscle. Adding muscle to your body is the only way to naturally increase your metabolism. I would definitely add more weight training to your schedule. Try to go at least 3x a week.

To be honest I don't know which is better for fatloss overall. I have read weight training is more effective, and I have also read cardio is more effective. If I had to choose one personally I would choose weights simply because I don't want to be skinny with no muscle. I think the solution is to not worry about the answer to which is better and just do both!:)

Oh and I don't do cardio, have been dieting with heavy weight training only for 4 months and have gotten bigger and lost bodyfat so as a result I look alot more cut and defined. Calories are everything. But I'm sure you already know that because that wasn't really your question. Just thought I'd throw that in hehe.

AzBboy
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
You guys are really giving me a real eye opener! I'm definitely gonna go for the weights twice a week and cardio once a week. Only one thing tho guys, I was wondering how can you have a healthy heart if half of you don't even do cardio? Is it more of a looks thing for you guys rather than a health thing (no offense or anything, just curious as to why you don't take your heart training serious as your outter portions.) Do you rely solely on your diet to strengthen the heart??

Dedicated
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Yea for me it isn't really a health thing. It "should" be and hopefully one day I will wake up and realize that my health is very important. But yea, continue to do your cardio, it's great.

d'Anconia
08-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm only 19 so don't care too much about my heart...

But on another note weightlifting hard will get your heart pumping and make your heart healthier.

Built
08-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Weightlifting is great for your heart.