PDA

View Full Version : Need more cals

muscleup
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Fitday for yesterday was only 2519 :(
Today isn't looking much better.
Should I just look at the foods with the highest cals in my diet and double those? I'm trying to clean bulk, but "clean" food doesn't have that many cals it seems so i have to eat triple amounts sometimes.
I'm broke right now, or i would buy supplements to compensate...

I'm 6'0 180 right now, but carry the most weight in my mid section. In other words I am skinny cept for the brown fat in the lower stomach and sides.
I also have scoliosis (sp) of the spine (my spine is a bit crooked) and my back sways inward making it look like my stomach sticks out farther than it should if I don't concentrate on standing up straight all the time.

I'm sure the responses to this will be eat more and lift and it will all "even out", but I just want to make sure i'm getting the cals to actually grow. And 2500 isn't going to do jack for me...I would think minimum should be 3k

Thoughts?

YungLifter
08-09-2005, 03:37 PM
List your diet. Natty PB works like a dream in adding up cals.

muscleup
08-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Cereal 1%milk
PB toast 1 peice

3 eggs

1 can tuna 2 slices wheat bread
1 cup green beans

10oz beef loin tri-tip steak
banana

6oz chicken breast grilled w.cheese
1 cup broc with cheese
1 cup brown rice

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
All hail the mighty roasted peanut (non-salted!). Add a half cup of those bad boys to your fitday and watch what happens.

I take a half cup to work now and snack on it throughout the day.

muscleup
08-09-2005, 03:43 PM
All hail the mighty roasted peanut (non-salted!). Add a half cup of those bad boys to your fitday and watch what happens.

I take a half cup to work now and snack on it throughout the day.

I have a bag of soy nuts, but they don't last very long. I need to find them in bulk haha :)

YungLifter
08-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I think roasted damages the fats or something like that. Almonds and walnuts would be a beter choice over peanuts.

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Roasted damages the fats? Not according to the nutrition label or fitday...

However, I just checked and roasted does have more carbs and less protein (2 grams in a half cup for each, respectively) according to fitday.

YungLifter
08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
The fats are still their but I think it denatures them or something when they get roasted.

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Hmm... I can see that as a possibility. Grr. I like roasted peanuts. :) Well, maybe I'll see if I can find some non-salted regular ones. I don't like almonds and walnuts don't like my digestive tract.

Edit: If it makes a difference the ones I eat are dry-roasted, not roasted. Vegetarian diets recommend dry roasted.

jkirkpatrick
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Add at least four glasses of milk a day.

YungLifter
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Found some info.

Here's our list of favorite nuts, ranked by their nutrient density. These varieties contain the most protein, fiber, B-vitamins, calcium, minerals, and vitamin E for the least amount of saturated fat:

Almonds
Filberts (hazelnuts)
Peanuts
Chestnuts
Pistachios
Walnuts
Cashews
Pecans
Macadamias
Almonds. Our "Top Nut" award goes to the almond. Here are the main nutrients in one ounce of almonds (a medium-size handful):

166 calories
5 grams of protein
14 grams of fat (90 percent unsaturated)
4 grams of fiber (the highest fiber content of any nut or seed), unblanched
80 milligrams of calcium
1.4 milligrams of zinc
1 milligram of iron
6.7 milligrams of vitamin E
some B-vitamins, minerals, and selenium
Filberts, (hazelnuts) because they are high in the amino acid tryptophan, are a good nut for sleep. Almonds and filberts have the most vitamin E (6.7 milligrams per ounce) - nearly 25 percent of the adult recommended dietary allowance.

NUTRITIP
Sleep Nuts } Eating a small handful of nuts as a before-bedtime snack may help you catch more Z's. Some nuts and seeds, especially whole filberts and ground sesame seeds, have a high amount of the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan.

Walnuts have the greatest concentration of omega-3 fatty acids.

Chestnuts are lowest in fat, containing only about 10 percent as much fat as other nuts. What little fat is in the chestnut (1.3 grams per ounce) is nearly all the unsaturated type. Chestnuts also contain three grams of fiber per ounce, but they are relatively low in protein.

Soybean nuts and peanuts are not really nuts at all. They are legumes, and they come from plants rather than trees. Both are very nutritious. Soybean nuts, while less popular because of their less appealing taste, are actually the most nutritious nut. A quarter cup of soybean nuts contains a similar number of calories to other nuts, yet packs the following nutrients:

17 grams of protein
9 grams of fat (90 percent unsaturated)
3.5 grams of fiber
138 milligrams of folic acid (33 percent of the DV)
116 milligrams of calcium (10 percent of the DV)
2 milligrams of zinc (around 15 percent of the DV)
1.7 milligrams of iron (10 percent of the DV)
19 micrograms of selenium
When purchasing soybean nuts, avoid those that are roasted in "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" oils.

Roasted nuts are more flavorful and spoil less quickly, yet how they are roasted makes a big nutritional difference. Dry roasted nuts don't have any added fat. Oil roasted means the nuts are fried in oil, which adds around ten percent more fat calories to the nuts. This is no big deal unless the nuts have been roasted in saturated or hydrogenated fats (e.g. coconut oil); check the label. An increase in saturated fats lessen the nut's main nutritional claim to fame - they're low in saturated fats.

While heating or roasting nuts does enhance the flavor and reduce spoilage, it also may alter some of the essential fatty acids. This is why processed nuts are less likely to go rancid, but the tradeoff may be a loss of healthy nutrients. Seeds and nuts themselves are more nutritious than the oil extracted from them, at least in theory. Seeds and nuts contain natural vitamin E, which protects their oil from going rancid. Processing may remove some of the natural antioxidants in the nuts and seeds.

Nongan
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok, I had a problem for awhile too, with not getting enough calories for a bulk. I found these great things, there marie calenders pot pies. 670 calories in one tiny pot pie. Stick them in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes, and its done. It has 19 grams of protein in it as well, so not too bad. Their not that filling either, so you can eat them as a snack.

Relentless
08-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Nitrean
(www.atlargenutrition.com)

:D

Seriously. I'd never get enough protein without it.

And I hear you about being broke, but in $$ per gram of protein, Nitrean compares pretty well to many whole foods.

Think about it.

muscleup
08-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Ok, I had a problem for awhile too, with not getting enough calories for a bulk. I found these great things, there marie calenders pot pies. 670 calories in one tiny pot pie. Stick them in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes, and its done. It has 19 grams of protein in it as well, so not too bad. Their not that filling either, so you can eat them as a snack.
Is a microwave pot pie considered something "healthy" to eat? Is there a lot of fat in those? I'm totally against most microwave stuff. Even the healthy choice meals or the weight watcher ones gross me out. They sound so unhealthy. I didn't see any types of microwave meals on the "What bodybuilders eat" grocery list, so I just assumed they are not good for you.

If I wanted to just eat a bunch of crap I could easily buy Hungry man Microwave dinners. Pound 3 of those and that's usually 3k+ cals already lol. :) But eating ANYTHING is a thing of the past it seems. Old bodybuilders are even rocomending to eat healthy all the time, even when bulking up.

muscleup
08-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Add at least four glasses of milk a day.
Seriously? What %? I usually go 1%

muscleup
08-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Nitrean
(www.atlargenutrition.com)

:D

Seriously. I'd never get enough protein without it.

And I hear you about being broke, but in $$ per gram of protein, Nitrean compares pretty well to many whole foods.

Think about it.

Is that considered the best "trustworthy" protein supplement by this site?

I used to take something called NLarge2 or something like that. That stuff made you gain weight like a champ.
Guess I'm going to have to break out my Visa or Mastercard :evillaugh

TOBART
08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah definatly add some milk to your diet, drinking 1 liter a day will add 400+ cals and 35g of protien to your diet. I used to drink 3-4 liters daily but recently cut back a lot because it was irritating my asthma. Nlarge2 is a high quality weight gainer which is good if you are looking to put on mass but can't eat enough.

ShockBoxer
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Is a microwave pot pie considered something "healthy" to eat? Is there a lot of fat in those? I'm totally against most microwave stuff. Even the healthy choice meals or the weight watcher ones gross me out. They sound so unhealthy. I didn't see any types of microwave meals on the "What bodybuilders eat" grocery list, so I just assumed they are not good for you.

If I wanted to just eat a bunch of crap I could easily buy Hungry man Microwave dinners. Pound 3 of those and that's usually 3k+ cals already lol. :) But eating ANYTHING is a thing of the past it seems. Old bodybuilders are even rocomending to eat healthy all the time, even when bulking up.

No, they're NOT healthy to eat, really... certainly not as a snack. Their sodium content is through the *roof*. Comparible to a Subway sub and nearly twice that of a 6 oz chicken breast.

They're the kind of thing people trying to keep near recommended sodium levels have to plan their DAY around.

Most sandwich meats and frozen foods are sodium death traps. There's a reason the average American eats two to five times the daily recommended sodium intake value.

But hey... I have borderline high blood pressure and need to watch my sodium intake. If you don't then go for it. Of course, the fact I used to knock back a Wendy's combo a day (1100 mg of sodium in burger alone) may have played a factor in my developing high BP.

muscleup
08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
frozen foods are sodium death traps.
Do you mean frozen microwave meals, or anything frozen in general. I buy my Broccoli frozen by the bag along with my strawberries.
Is buying frozen individually wrapped 6oz boneless skinless chicken breasts by the 10lb box and grilling them a bad choice? I usually eat 2 a day Grilled.

Built
08-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Great idea!

jkirkpatrick
08-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Seriously? What %? I usually go 1%

I drink approximately 12 litres of 2% a week.

CarlP
08-09-2005, 09:05 PM
If you need more calories: natural peanut butter and milk. Repeat as necessary.

Shao-LiN
08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Simple method...eat more of whatever you're eating now.