PDA

View Full Version : ripeness

syntekz
12-18-2001, 12:51 PM
does how ripe a fruit is affect it's nutritional values?

Tryska
12-18-2001, 12:56 PM
i would think the riper it is the higher the sugar content. although what that sugar is before it tastes sweet i'm not sure. :confused:

where do you come up with stuff, man?

syntekz
12-18-2001, 01:21 PM
I was eating a banana earlier and it got me thinking. (It wasn't ripe enough)

Tryska
12-18-2001, 01:27 PM
well i think regardless it's gonna be carbohydrates, but perhaps the amount of sugar is what changes....(i'm presuming fructose)

IceRgrrl
12-18-2001, 01:27 PM
Tryska's right about the more ripe the fruit, the more sugar content...in general. I'm thinking "sweet" fruits like peaches, bananas, kiwis, etc.

That's interesting what you said about the unripe banana, syntekz. I don't like bananas once they're truly ripe...too mushy/too sweet. I like them when they're still a little green. Different tastes for different folks, I guess...:p

body
12-18-2001, 02:35 PM
the more ripe the fruit. the more starch that has converted to sugar.
Mineral, fibre content will be about the same. some vitmain changes may occur, as a fruit get older some of the water soluble vitamins may be escape and be destroyed by sunlight as well. Thats why fresh-frozen veg kept at of light has better vit C levels than fresh veg in the supermarkets.
But otherwise not much nutritional difference. though it will depend on climate and humidity as a dry hot day will allow for more water loss than a cold wet one. so this will effect water souble micronutrient losses.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-18-2001, 04:48 PM
[random useless Robboe Information]

Did you guys know that you shouldn't keep bananas near other fruit?

It's cause the bananas realse some chemical that causes other fruits to ripen quicker and thus go bad quicker.

that is all.

[/random useless Robboe Information]

body
12-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
[random useless Robboe Information]

Did you guys know that you shouldn't keep bananas near other fruit?

It's cause the bananas realse some chemical that causes other fruits to ripen quicker and thus go bad quicker.

that is all.

[/random useless Robboe Information]

<----me - puts bananas next to under ripe appples.

cheers rob. now i can eat the apples tommorow.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-18-2001, 05:03 PM
oh yes, and as the texas rattlesnake rightly pointed out, this can be used to your advantage.

body
12-18-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
oh yes, and as the texas rattlesnake rightly pointed out, this can be used to your advantage.

well thats the bottom line as stone cold said so.

Tryska
12-18-2001, 06:30 PM
:boring:

Marcel
12-18-2001, 10:12 PM
If ya smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell what the Rock is
c-o-o-k-i-n-g!!!!! The only reason to watch wwf is for the hot hunnies or to watch the Rock do the rock bottom on those foo's.

Oh yea and greener bannanas taste better old brown mushy ones.

Monkeybrains
12-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I prefer them when they're slightly green.