PDA

View Full Version : Canned Tuna, serving size and actual weight - questions.

Hangul
08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Okay I eat tuna (like most of us do). But I've got a question about serving size.

Here's my dilemma - Let's say that I require about 6 oz of tuna for lunch. This is the Starkist Chunk Light Tuna in Water (6 oz cans). So one serving (2 oz.) drained should yeild the following:

Calories: 60
Carbs:0
Protein: 13

So 6 oz should yeild the following:

Calories: 180
Fat: 1.5
Carbs: 0
Protein: 39

The can says it holds 2.5 servings which SHOULD translate into 5 oz. Well in order for me to get my 6 oz I have to drain two 6 oz. cans... Did I miss something here or is my math correct?

What are you experiences? I want to avoid overeating as I'm tying to cut right now.

Hangul

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I take the drained weight (usually listed) and convert it to ounces (28 grams per ounce is close enough).

Why do you 'need' six ounces of tuna? One can and a handful of nuts is just as good, protein wise.

The Tick
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
I know this might be tough.

Take the nutrition information. Multiply it by 2.5. That's whats in a can.

If you want more protein/fat/ whatever, eat something else, and quit worrying about a freaking half ounce of tuna.

RickTheDestroyer
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
My guess is that the can contains 5 ounces of tuna and 1 ounce of water.
I don't think that they base their servings sizes on real people.
One can is a snack and two are part of a meal.
I always just count about 32 grams of protein per can. The fat is pretty negligible, IMO.

Hangul
08-10-2005, 08:50 AM
I know this might be tough.

Take the nutrition information. Multiply it by 2.5. That's whats in a can.

If you want more protein/fat/ whatever, eat something else, and quit worrying about a freaking half ounce of tuna.

Uh, I know that.

What I am saying is the can of tuna does not have 2.5 servings drained. The can says that is has 2.5 servings at 2 oz per serving that SHOULD be 5 oz drained. It's not though. One drained can is about 3 oz.

I was wondering if anyone here has had the same experience. I use a scale to measure out my food -this is just the way I prefer things.

Hangul

pruneman
08-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Uh, I know that.

What I am saying is the can of tuna does not have 2.5 servings drained. The can says that is has 2.5 servings at 2 oz per serving that SHOULD be 5 oz drained. It's not though. One drained can is about 3 oz.

I was wondering if anyone here has had the same experience. I use a scale to measure out my food -this is just the way I prefer things.

Hangul

This has been my experience also. I don't know what is going, though.

ryuage
08-10-2005, 09:27 AM
:withstupi

get the same thing one can is less then what the label claims should be in it.... if it bothers you that much double up

malkore
08-10-2005, 09:28 AM
I've seen this debate before. I think the label is accurate, and IS taking the water weight into account. A rough ballpark figure is that 1oz of very lean meat (fish, chicken breats, turkey breast) has 10g of protein per ounce.

So drain it, weigh it, and do the math and you should be ok.

muscleup
08-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Just eat 2 cans a day. What's in it that you would want to cut? Cals are low and protein is high.

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Mercury. Sodium. Grocery bill.

Unreal
08-10-2005, 10:01 AM
The can takes the water into account. A can has 2.5 servings in it.

Minotaur
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Just eat the damn tuna! :rolleyes:

RickTheDestroyer
08-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Mercury. Sodium. Grocery bill.

I agree with the first two, but tuna is CHEAP. It's probably my second cheapest protein source, aside from shakes.
The kroger brand is the best, and that ****'s $0.40 a can if you get it on sale.

ryuage
08-10-2005, 10:34 AM
if it takes the water into account i must be confused because it says drained.... as far as how drained who knows.

Unreal
08-10-2005, 10:44 AM
If the can says it has 2.5 servings in it, then I go by that. What other people are saying is it list a serving size as 2oz drained, but when the can is drained there is only ~3oz of tuna in it. Whats the contents weigh undrained?

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I agree with the first two, but tuna is CHEAP. It's probably my second cheapest protein source, aside from shakes.
The kroger brand is the best, and that ****'s $0.40 a can if you get it on sale.

I pay about 0.75 CDN a can which does make it the cheapest source of protein (shakes cost about a dollar a glass for the ON I buy). That said I'm still miserly when it comes to buying my 'gymchow' (as my fiance calls it) because it's above and beyond the NORMAL cost of groceries which is already expensive enough for two.

muscleup
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I pay about 0.75 CDN a can which does make it the cheapest source of protein (shakes cost about a dollar a glass for the ON I buy). That said I'm still miserly when it comes to buying my 'gymchow' (as my fiance calls it) because it's above and beyond the NORMAL cost of groceries which is already expensive enough for two.

You have any of those stores that sell everything in bulk around your house?
I just joined one last week, it's called Costco.
Membership is $45/yr. I got a 10lb box of boneless skinless chicken breasts individually wrapped for around $20 bucks. The regular grocery store sells a 3lb bag for $12 bucks.
I didn't see a big difference in the tuna price, but 12 cans of chicken by the sea came out to around 75 cents a can. Chicken by the sea seems to be the more expensive brand around here though.
SAMS is another bulk food place that sells starkiss tuna in bulk. I dunno where you live, or if you have ever heard of those places, but it might be fun to check it out. I can spend all day in a bulk food store :burger:

ShockBoxer
08-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Nearest Costco is about 20 miles away .. problem is getting to it. If they really do sell chicken breast for that much cheaper I'll freaking walk if I have to. :D

Unreal
08-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Costco sells chicken breast for $2.89/lb around me in individual wrapped breast. Local grocery store is normally $3.99/lb unless its onsale at $1.99/lb. Its cheaper to get chicken at the normal store on sale, and buy tons/freeze it.

Costco is .80 cents a can for albacore tuna in packs of 16 I believe.