PDA

View Full Version : Why ask "Should I cut or bulk"

jkirkpatrick
08-10-2005, 10:10 PM
... when you're only 15??? I don't understand the (seemingly) high number of these questions for the younger guys out there. I mean, sheesh, when I was 15 I ate everything in sight. "Bulking" and "cutting" wasn't even in my vocabulary. And yes, I'm from a different generation, but this generation is more suceptible to media influences (IMO) and I think this questionning is more evidence of this (again, IMO).

I think it's great that this forum is a great supporter of being the best you can, and supports a healthy lifestyle, so don't get me (too) wrong.

Just an observation I've noted. I would think that "cutting" at 15 is like the 12 year old girl who thinks she's "too fat". When I see a guy asking if he should "cut" and he's only 95lbs, my immediate thoughts are, "why is he even asking????".

sharkall2003
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
He/she is preparing for his/her future.

jkirkpatrick
08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
But if you're preparing for your future, and you are in a cut stage, why would you starve your body assuming that it is still growing, regardless of weight training? Do youth stop growing at 15 now? I can understand an 18 year old asking this, maybe a 16 year old girl, as I would think (I don't know, I only think) that the majority of these groups would be finished growing.

Hatred
08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
It depends on that individuals goals.
If that person is Bodybuilding at the level Chase was then there are genuine cutting/bulking stages.The question itself shows immaturity of diet,nutrition,and goal knowledge.
I have a better question:

If you are 30 why bitch about what a 15 yr old is doing? :thumbup:

jkirkpatrick
08-10-2005, 10:39 PM
I can see the legitimacy involved in the bulk questions as the answers provided, and even the research brought into the discussion by the original poster, is good stuff. Good wholesome foods are recommended, attention to diet composition, etc, etc. :thumbup:

I guess it's just the "cut" question that baffles me, unless the individual is really overweight but that's more of a "I am cutting" versus "should I cut or bulk" question.

jkirkpatrick
08-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Not so much as a bitch, just wondering is all. It's more of a double-take (definately not a pet peeve).

Canadian Crippler
08-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Extreme cutting in growth periods (puberty) is really not a wise idea. Not to say it can't be done well, but if you're lacking many nutrients while going through puberty you're really playing a game with your body.

jkirkpatrick
08-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Extreme cutting in growth periods (puberty) is really not a wise idea. Not to say it can't be done well, but if you're lacking many nutrients while going through puberty you're really playing a game with your body.

'Cripp said it better than me. Exactly my question.

pbsteve09
08-10-2005, 11:51 PM
No i agree with you...13 year olds who look at anorexia on Tv and thinks thats the "norm" is wrong. Its dangerous and deadly. However those who want to be like Chase like hatred said..they are just figuring out what stage they need to go on now. If they are a overweight kid at 15, then yes they should probably slim down a bit...build a nice firm core, and then take it from there to achieve their goals in "wanting to be big". But i do agree with you about how some kids are 98 lbs and wanting to cut further is not a good thing.

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 05:05 AM
I would rather see kids that are 15 years old cutting then having kids that are like my brother that are 5'4" 145 lbs and are all fat (and he is 12 years old).

Paul Stagg
08-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Excellent post. There is little reason for someone under 18 to be 'cutting' or 'bulking'. Train your ass off, eat a lot, and grow. As long as you stay active, you won't get fat, and if you do get a little chubby, just back off the food a little, and go run around outside.

At 15, there is no question. Eat lots of good food, train, and get outside and chase a ball. You'll be fine, and when you are 17 and trade the ball in for girls, you won't have to do much chasing.

The only reason I can think of to really diet at that age is if you are quite obese.

Praetorian
08-11-2005, 06:46 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say that most 14/15 year olds don't know jack about the different aspects of bodybuilding. They've all seen Fight Club and want that anorexic Tyler Durden look. Just take a look at bb.com, or hell, sometimes on this board as well.

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Excellent post. There is little reason for someone under 18 to be 'cutting' or 'bulking'. Train your ass off, eat a lot, and grow. As long as you stay active, you won't get fat, and if you do get a little chubby, just back off the food a little, and go run around outside.

At 15, there is no question. Eat lots of good food, train, and get outside and chase a ball. You'll be fine, and when you are 17 and trade the ball in for girls, you won't have to do much chasing.

The only reason I can think of to really diet at that age is if you are quite obese.

I use to run over 2 miles a day weightlift 3 times a week do hundreds of pushups every day and eat healthy no junk food or anything and I was still fat. Some of us have to "cut" in order to stay in shape.

thetopdog
08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
The reason you're seeing this question is becuase you're on a weightlifting messageboard, when you and I were 15, we weren't posting on weightlifting messageboards so we didn't know about thinks like bulking or cutting

But I agree with the point that too many skinny kids think they need to cut to get a 6 pack or whatever

D Breyer
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I am 14, almost 15... and I am currently in a cutting stage. I used to be 210-200 lbs (25-30%), and obese. I was laughed at and made fun of and it really hit me hard about a 4 or 5 months ago...

I learned a ton about lifting and nutrition, and now I am ~170 and considered in a healthy weight range. Maybe this thread is DIRECTLY twards the 100lb kids cutting to be a stick, but I see nothing wrong with cutting my daily calories (drastically), having a balanced diet, and hitting the gym hard, durring the time of puberty. I am still cutting to the 10% mark (im about 12% at the time), and feel it would be the best for my body, and for my sports performence.

Maybe i am getting you wrong, but what i got from reading your post was that 15 year old kids should not be on a cutting diet... and i strongly disagree with you on that.

jkirkpatrick
08-11-2005, 12:21 PM
but I see nothing wrong with cutting my daily calories (drastically), having a balanced diet, and hitting the gym hard, durring the time of puberty.

The thing is, you don't know this as you are still in puberty. Any chances that you could be causing long-term damage that won't show up until your later adult years as a result of your lifting now?

I agree with your diet choice.

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 12:25 PM
I am 14, almost 15... and I am currently in a cutting stage. I used to be 210-200 lbs (25-30%), and obese. I was laughed at and made fun of and it really hit me hard about a 4 or 5 months ago...

I learned a ton about lifting and nutrition, and now I am ~170 and considered in a healthy weight range. Maybe this thread is DIRECTLY twards the 100lb kids cutting to be a stick, but I see nothing wrong with cutting my daily calories (drastically), having a balanced diet, and hitting the gym hard, durring the time of puberty. I am still cutting to the 10% mark (im about 12% at the time), and feel it would be the best for my body, and for my sports performence.

Maybe i am getting you wrong, but what i got from reading your post was that 15 year old kids should not be on a cutting diet... and i strongly disagree with you on that.

I couldn't agree more. If I would have known about cutting when I was younger say maybe 9 or 10 even (not saying that I would take creatine and all that **** but just eat right) I would never have been made fun of. I remember being in the 4th grade and being 150 lbs and having kids throw dodge balls at me and stuff like that. Now all I do is exercise and I find it funny that everyone tells me how good of shape I am in, I have a good looking girl, am really confident and everything else that goes along with looking good.

jkirkpatrick
08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
If I would have known about cutting when I was younger say maybe 9 or 10 even

This is more of an educational thing and IMO, shouldn't be coming from a public forum. This is something that parents should address, and if that is not possible, then the education system (not cutting, but proper eating, etc).

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
The thing is, you don't know this as you are still in puberty. Any chances that you could be causing long-term damage that won't show up until your later adult years as a result of your lifting now?

I agree with your diet choice.

I'm not speaking for anyone but when I was 12 and told my doctor that I was lifting weights he said good you should be. He said do it your whole life and do cardiovascular work and you will be in better shape than your friends. Well guess what I just started doing cardiovascular work and I lost 12 lbs in one month dropped 4 waist sizes and I feel great. There is nothing wrong with lifting at a young age. I wish my parents would have had me started at the age of 6. Right now I am in the process of getting my brother to start lifting and he is only 12.

D Breyer
08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Now all I do is exercise and I find it funny that everyone tells me how good of shape I am in, I have a good looking girl, am really confident and everything else that goes along with looking good.

feels great doesn't it? makes you want to go find those kids who gave you a hard time and punch them in the face, as you now have a better build then they do.

heh, i try to refrain from that though... wouldn't want to stoop to their level :windup:

jkirkpatrick
08-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I just started doing cardiovascular work and I lost 12 lbs in one month dropped 4 waist sizes and I feel great.

There is nothing wrong with cardio work - running around outside playing field sports, etc is great. That wasn't my point.

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I know what your point was but I was just stating a good example or an experience.

D Breyer
08-11-2005, 12:42 PM
This is something that parents should address

I HATED when my parents brought up my weight. they are both decently fit people, both with families that are obese (my aunts/uncles etc).

I remember they would order FOR me when we went out to a restaurant, usually off the "kiddie" menu... they told me "if we dont do this for you now, you are going to be big the rest of your life". We pretty much had nothing that wasn't "low fat/low sugar/low calories" at my house. (and i was still big as a house).

They would pack my lunch, I would go to school (discard my packed lunch) and LOAD up my school lunchs, maybe 3-4 deserts, an entree or two, and a buttload of chocolate milk. It was a pretty rough time for my body.

now that i have tought myself good nutrition, i know not to do this. i think telling parents to tell their kids what to eat is a bad idea. instead have them EDUCATE their children on WHY to eat good food and to exercise regularly. I know if my parents had done this, I would not have been fat in the first place.

jkirkpatrick
08-11-2005, 12:48 PM
instead have them EDUCATE their children on WHY to eat good food and to exercise regularly. I know if my parents had done this, I would not have been fat in the first place.

Good point.

I know what your point was but I was just stating a good example or an experience.

:thumbup:

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, all I use to eat was candy bars and chips and drink soda.

D Breyer
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
:withstupi

sharkall2003
08-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Now all I eat and drink is protein shakes and fruit.