PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Gain on a Caloric deficit.

Nuts
08-11-2005, 08:27 AM
So I've read many times on this board that muscle will not grow in a caloric deficit. If this is the case, then I have a problem. I must lose the weight. I don't want to be one of the hulking masses that weighs 500 lbs (no, I don't weight anywhere close to that) and benches his own weight....what's the point of that?

So anyway, based on my research, I must focus on a caloric deficit, while maintaining the muscle that I currently possess. If I keep my proteins high and maintain a workout regiment, does anyone see why this would hinder my efforts?

ShockBoxer
08-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Sounds to me like you know what you want your priority to be: Losing the weight.

Just get as strong as you can for as long as you can. Once your weight is where you want you'll have a great starting point for adding the muscle mass.

Wannabelean
08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Chances of you GAINING muscle while losing fat is pretty slim if you have been lifting for a while, but you can maintain it with heavy lifting and a good well balanced diet. Gaining strength while dieting is completely possible though :)

WBBIRL
08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Benching 500lbs, even if you weigh 500lbs is a milestone most men never reach.... a slim few ever get that strong. It is possible to gain muslce on a cut if you never lifted before... your noobie gains will be pretty good. If your a seasoned lifted, dont count on it.

Built
08-11-2005, 05:39 PM
:withstupi

I gained most of my muscle while losing weight. But I was 170 lbs, and I'm 130 lbs now.