PDA

View Full Version : for nutrition experts -- carbs

mattanshrager
08-13-2005, 04:51 AM
FYI, i did a search on this but couldn't find EXACTLY what i was looking for.

Look, in a livejournal community called "gymrats" I brought up what I thought of sugar: that it should usually be avoided and that complex carbs are superior, even for post workout meals.

So my quesiton to you is this: is sugar important at all? does it have any benefits besides glycogen replenishment and weight gain? does it give our bodies anything that complex carbs cannot?

YungLifter
08-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Couldn't find nothing good about it. I saw somewhere that the sugar from fruits can be good or something like that.

spanky33
08-13-2005, 07:03 AM
in the strictest sense, no, there is no difference. complex carbs are broken down into simple sugars in our body.

mattanshrager
08-13-2005, 07:37 AM
in the strictest sense, no, there is no difference. complex carbs are broken down into simple sugars in our body.

but they are broken down more slowly, is that right? i mean there might be no connection there, but clearly people achieve a worse body composition from large amounts of sugar than large amounts of plain oatmeal?

galileo
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
The trick is in the insulin reaction. Sugar will provide a more intense insulin spike, which triggers storage mechanisms. It only really matters, however, if you have excess calories.

mattanshrager
08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
The trick is in the insulin reaction. Sugar will provide a more intense insulin spike, which triggers storage mechanisms. It only really matters, however, if you have excess calories.

that's it right there. that's exactly what i needed. thanks bro.

thetopdog
08-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Keep in mind that many people feel the insulin spike caused by fast acting carbs is very beenficial post (and maybe even pre) workout, when combined with protein

Built
08-13-2005, 01:31 PM
FYI, i did a search on this but couldn't find EXACTLY what i was looking for.

Look, in a livejournal community called "gymrats" I brought up what I thought of sugar: that it should usually be avoided and that complex carbs are superior, even for post workout meals.

So my quesiton to you is this: is sugar important at all? does it have any benefits besides glycogen replenishment and weight gain? does it give our bodies anything that complex carbs cannot?

I think it's all been covered here. The big deal with something like dextrose vs something like oats is the speed of delivery.

My feeling is that if you're only doing post workout carbs, you will likely benefit more from fast carb (dex) than you will if you're eating a slower carb (oats) before you lift. The slow carb will ensure you have sugar in your system when you need it, where the fast one, you're trying to slam it in ASAP so it can get straight to work when it's needed.

I'm finding I actually prefer the slower carb approach, but this may change a bit when I bulk in the fall.

Try both. See which one you prefer.

galileo
08-15-2005, 08:41 AM
that's it right there. that's exactly what i needed. thanks bro.

No problem. I might also add that if you are referring to table sugar, it contains part glucose and part fructose. Fructose is preferential to replenishing your liver first and once your liver is "full", the spillover goes towards fat. This is why you can bulk on +500 calories over maintenance with bad foods and you get a much worse result than on what is considered "clean".