PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound ok (uber noob question)

Steve998
08-14-2005, 06:55 PM
hey guys.... Ok im completely new to this bodybuilding stuff and the dieting stuff as of now all ive being eating for nearly 21 years is crap & junk food, ive being reading this forum for a week or so now and ive gathered a hell of alot information from some very helpful people...

My question is at a body weight of 255lbs is 2800 Calories per day with 20 - 25% of that from GOOD fats the right amount for loosing fat and gaining muscle i have ordered some WHEY protein powder also and would like some guidelines on how much per day to use (ive searched the board but if ive missed it point me in the rite direction :) ). my diet needs extreme change which i am doing today in about 11 hours once i wake up and go shopping and buy every thing on the shopping list i found on this forum :) .... i have also printed off the WBB1 routine i can do it all at home at the moment but i would like to know is there any other exercise i can put instead of Dips as i do not have access to a machine without joining a gym and i dont want to do that untill i run out of weights at home saves me the money and blows the old dust of my free weights lol

ok that about does it i think ill get back with the diet once ive bought every thing and set out what im eating and when then the diet can start as soon as the WHEY arrives

its my :birthday: on Wednesday so i think ill be starting then

getfit
08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
"what a bodybilder eats" diet/nutrition forum it's a sticky!

start there and read! :)

Built
08-14-2005, 07:16 PM
hey guy.... Ok im completely new to this bodybuilding stuff and the dieting stuff as of now all ive being eating for nearly 21 years is crap & junk food, ive being reading this forum for a week or so now and ive gathered a hell of alot information from some very helpful people...
Greetings!

My question is at a body weight of 255lbs is 2800 Calories per day with 20 - 25% of that from GOOD fats
Forget ratios. Think "dosing"

1-1.5g protein per pound LBM (use goal weight if you're fat, it's close enough)
0.5g (or more) fat per pound LBM
The rest of your target calories from whatever combination of protein, fat and carb you find comfortable.

Not sure how many calories YOU will need to cut - that's for you to discover. Try not to go too far below 15-20% below maintanance (which you will ALSO have to discover).

the right amount for loosing fat and gaining muscle i have ordered some WHEY protein powder also and would like some guidelines on how much per day to use (ive searched the board but if ive missed it point me in the rite direction :) ). my diet needs extreme change which i am doing today in about 11 hours once i wake up and go shopping and buy every thing on the shopping list i found on this forum :) .... i have also printed off the WBB1 routine i can do it all at home at the moment but i would like to know is there any other exercise i can put instead of Dips as i do not have access to a machine without joining a gym and i dont want to do that untill i run out of weights at home saves me the money and blows the old dust of my free weights lol
I do between-bench dips with a couple plates on my lap. You only need a bench and a chair for those.

ok that about does it i think ill get back with the diet once ive bought every thing and set out what im eating and when then the diet can start as soon as the WHEY arrives

its my :birthday: on Wednesday so i think ill be starting then

Sounds like an auspicious date to begin. Good luck with your physique goals!

Steve998
08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Ive read all that, thats the shoping list im going to use later today. Have i got all this right though?

I'm pretty sure im an endomorphs (if that means fatish) so that means my body weight times 13 (255 X 13 = 3315 calories). I'm guessing i need to cut as i want to loose fat.... so i take 500 calories off of 3315 which is 2815 so i need 2815 calories per day with 20 to 25 % of the calories from good fats.... Is that right or am trying to fish up a tree :)

Ive got tones more reading to do there just so much on here its hard to read it all without asking questions. sorry if im being a pain :)

Built
08-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Actually, many of the endomorphs I've known have done better with their fats up higher, targeting their carbs to their lifts. Remember, it's all about hunger-control.

25% is a ratio, and utterly meaningless. Get in sufficient protein, and sufficient fat. Target your carbs to your lifts.

I prefer to fill up the rest of my calories from fat - it's more satisfying, and makes it easier to go below maintenance calories.

There's no way I could ever have dropped all this weight on low fat - for me, it just stimulates too much hunger.

Fat doesn't make you fat - excess calories do. And good fats help support your endocrine function (that includes testosterone - the stuff that makes you partition your calories into muscle!).

Built
08-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh, and you can't accurately CALCULATE your maintenance calories. The only way to know is to track them for a while. I use www.fitday.com

Get used to it. It's invaluable.

The "500 cals to cut" thing will probably be okay for you, because your maintenance calories are higher than mine. So long as the deficit doesn't put you lower than 80-85% of maintenance, you're fine.

Steve998
08-14-2005, 07:46 PM
extreme amounts of infomation to take in at 2:54AM ill take alook at this asoon as i wake up in about 6 hours ive gotta sort my sleeping habbits out i think i suffer from insomnia its a pain in the ass i love my bed :) thanks for all the info anyway im sure it will come in very usful in helpin me get to my goals...

just at a glance i think need an explantion of "maintenance" am i right in thinking the amount of calories to maintain a weight so as not to gain or loose??

ill hit back in a few hours thanks again :)

Built
08-14-2005, 07:50 PM
You are correct. That is maintenance.

:)

IdaMAN
08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
"what a bodybilder eats" diet/nutrition forum it's a sticky!

start there and read! :)

I don't see that and I keep looking everytime you mention it lol.

getfit
08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't see that and I keep looking everytime you mention it lol.
"best of diet and nutrition threads"

IdaMAN
08-14-2005, 08:02 PM
oh lol, spank you.

Shao-LiN
08-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Calculators are estimations. There is no universal calculator that can tell every single person what their maintenance, cutting and bulking caloric totals will be. That is up to your body and your daily activity. If you want to use that value as a maintenance value, start there and see what happens. If you're losing too fast, add calories until you're losing at a good rate. If you're gaining, drop calories back until you start losing at a comfortable pace. If your weight/bodyfat is not changing, drop it a bit until you are losing.

All about adapting and adjusting.

Steve998
08-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Trying to sort out this diet is hard work

Ive gone for:

300G of Protien
120G of Fats
131G of Carbohydrates

Ive got as far as:

1 Cup Oat Bran Cereal
P 6.89G
F 2.38G
C 33.41G
(CALS 171.58)

1 Cup Pasta
P 7.83G
F 2.18G
C 83.22G

now to get protien and fats up to 300G of Protien 120G of Fats i end up goin over on the Carbohydrates adding WHEY adds to the Carbohydrates and so do other foods am i goin about this the wrong way?

Do you think looking at somebody elses cuttin diet could help me and i could just change it a little? I'm goin to have a look around and see what other people around my size diets consist of :)

Steve998
08-15-2005, 08:42 AM
so far today ive eaten and drank:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Steve998

so far what do you think consider usualy id probably have potato chips, soda, baked goods (cake).... I need to go shopping the fridge is empty and i have that whole list to buy things off of

Built
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Get artificially sweetened whey. Virtually no carbs. That way, you can add in your own dextrose if and when you want it.

Steve998
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
like this

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/eshop/protein/usn-pure-protein-5lbs-tub-strawberry.asp

or somthing different ive just ordered

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/eshop/protein/usn-whey-protein-(2lb-tub)-chocolate.asp

i suppose i cant stil use it but ive gotta cut out some carbs from some other place

Built
08-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, the bread and the pasta are both very high in carbs. You might make some different choices there.

Either of those whey proteins should work for you.

Steve998
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
yeah i was planning on eating 2 chicken breasts but of course mother had other ideas in what she was goin to make so i had tuna pasta with tomato, peas and sweet corn lol tomorrow will be different if not i give u all permission to kick me in the ass

Built
08-15-2005, 12:52 PM
You might be trying to go too low in the carbs, hon. Maybe peel back a bit of fat and or protein and move it into your carb calories.

Steve998
08-15-2005, 01:16 PM
would this be better

Protein:200
Fats:100
Carbs:276

i took it from you PM. ive just got to figure out what foods give me what and get used to eating completely different than im used to i.e. the things i eat and the times. As of now ive just ran to the fridge when i feel hungry with no actual timing.

Built
08-15-2005, 01:19 PM
It's all fine - the mix doesn't matter - so long as you get in sufficient protein and fat, the amounts don't matter at all. You just have to be comfortable with it.

This most recent mix wouldn't work for me (ie I'd get too hungry), but it may work just fine for you. If it's more manageable, try it.

Steve998
08-15-2005, 01:26 PM
rite well gonna go shoppin now so ill hit back later on :)

Steve998
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Why do mothers think they know best is she the one that has sat infront of the PC reading for hours on end about a subject no didnt think so... shopping went ok could of gone better ended up with a load of rubbish like usual but i put a few things in the basket that i can use lots of chicken & vegies so i guess ill start tomorrow