PDA

View Full Version : Dieting Affecting my Sleep

Savannah
02-27-2001, 03:42 AM
So , here's the situation.
I've been working my butt off trying to get ready for this silly bikini contest, and now I'm really noticing that I'm not sleeping much at all.
My carbs have become more restricted than I'm used to and I'm feeling good and all, but I just am curious if this happens to others when they start dieting.

I can remember a few years back when I was about 4 weeks out from a BB competition (that I never actually entered) this same thing happened. I would be wide awake at 4am and feeling good. My concern is that when my body/mind get over tired, the first thing I find that happens is I get a HUGE sugar craving. I don't want to have this happen at all.

Any ideas? or similar experiences?

YatesNightBlade
02-27-2001, 04:38 AM
Are you hungry when you goto bed ??? I can't sleep on an empty stomach so I used to drink alot of Diet Coke with my Egg Whites when I dieted.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2001, 07:46 AM
Coke? Doesn't that contain caffiene? That won'thelp you get to sleep much :)

Sav: as long as you are getting about 8 hours sleep each night then don't worry about it. If not, does your shop not have them sugar sprays which make everything seem like soggy cabbage?!?!:)

Savannah
02-27-2001, 08:36 AM
hhmmm-I'm not familiar with either!!!!!

As foor the sleep amount, I haven't been getting more than 5 hours lately

David
02-27-2001, 12:50 PM
oh man, I mean woman - you're probably overtrained...you see, training and sleeping 5 hours a day is not a good idea.

Sleeping 5 hours a day is not only crazy, its also jibber jabber!

If i dont sleep at least 8 hours a day I dont even bother going to the gym, I dont think it would help much!

You need to take a week off from training and just get your diet in place, take some ZMA before going to sleep!

I dont know if ZMA really does make you stronger or not, but I do know that when I take it it knocks me out in like 10min!

Anthony
02-27-2001, 01:24 PM
Since we are all in this lifestyle for health (ha), shouldn't we address problems at their roots rather than taking something else to make them go away?

Developing dependencies isn't a healthy lifestyle.

If your diet is affecting your sleep, maybe your diet is unbalanced.

Cackerot69
02-27-2001, 01:37 PM
try taking 50-100mg of 5-HTP 30 minutes before you are going to eat, to deal with sugar cravings.

as for sleep, i obviously can't help you :)

YatesNightBlade
02-28-2001, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Coke? Doesn't that contain caffiene? That won'thelp you get to sleep much :)

Sav: as long as you are getting about 8 hours sleep each night then don't worry about it. If not, does your shop not have them sugar sprays which make everything seem like soggy cabbage?!?!:)

yeah ... some of it does. But not the unleaded stuff. I used to do this to bloat me up before bed ....... to try and stop the cravings fror cream cakes, big macs and even newcastle brown ........

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-28-2001, 06:54 AM
~grabs a large trout~

Hey Sav, i have a theory on how to 'put you to sleep'...:D

gary
03-05-2001, 02:33 AM
Before sleep: eat plenty of vegetables including leafy vegetables, carrots and broccoli.

These carbs can fill you up and make you sleep fast. Very little calories. Protein should be turkey breast - has good drowsy effect.

That 5-HTP also helps to supress sugar/carbs craving.

Does all your carb come from fiber rich sugar free stuff? such as sugar-free oat meal & veggies ? That really gives you energy for the whole day.