PDA

View Full Version : cuttin it out!

senor fusion
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I've been cuttin for a while, about 3 months. I've lost 18 lbs so far and am enjoying it. I havent noticed a change in a while so I need some advice on my diet/training. I am 16% BF aprrox, and weigh 177. Everything else has slimmed except my stomach, sigh. My maintance cals are 3000 and I cycle the calories. So some days I have 2100 cals (30% below) and the work out days I have 2500 (15%). I Keep my protein at 1.3 g/LBM, and fat around 70g, and add the carbs around breakfast/workout. I do empty stomach cardio twice a week on workout morning days, and HIIT 2 times a week on non workout days. I have started the 5X5 training, 3 days a week. Should I continue with this or just go back to the 4-5 day split. A couple ?'s: Are my cals too low? Should I add/delete some cardio? I have been on carb cycling following it strictly but that hasnt been doing much for me. I have 1.5 months to get down 6% is that attainable? Thanks for the advice.

slapshot111
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Either up the cardio, or decrease cals.

Built
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
You might consider a few tweaks to your diet:

Up the fats - at least 0.5g/lb lbm appears to be optimal for test production.

Ditch the AM carbs (move those calories into the fat ration), but leave in the ones around your lifts.

I'm nervous about dropping the cals any more - they're already quite low.

Not sure what kind of cardio you're doing in the AM empty. I walk most 20-25 minutes most mornings. I also do 15-20 minutes of fast incline walking after lower body workouts, and HIIT after upper body workouts (ie twice a week). If you're going to ramp up your cardio, those would be the suggestions I would make.

Have you been incorporating any refeed strategies? Cheat meals/days/weekend in there anywhere?

You might need to take a week or two off of dieting. I took a whole week off dieting in June, and it was the best thing I could have done.

senor fusion
08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
For cardio I do 35-40 min of 70-80% MHR (on empty stomach) and as for HIIT they are just 20 min sessions. By taking a week off, do you mean from lifting and cardio, or just eating at maintance for a week to reset my metabolisM? I dropped my cals because I wasnt seeing results, but my metab. may be slowed down. I have though about refeeds but read that me being 16% bF or so would not be optimal. Also I have a refeed day of only about 3700 cals on saturday usually every week, with a few cheat items in there. Also when you say focus all carbs around workout, I consume about 140 carbs a day, does that mean approx. 70 g pre and 70 g post?

Built
08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Too much am empty cardio, IMO.

I mean eating at maintenance or over for a week. I ate a thousand cals OVER maintenance for a week. That MAY have been excessive, but MAN was it fun!

I'm glad you do the refeed thing. That's important.

And you may have a hard time eating ALL your carbs around your lifts, but you may find it helpful to save all the starchy ones for pre and post.