PDA

View Full Version : Weighing yourself properly

ShockBoxer
08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Heh. This one is realllly dumb. My apologies in advance.

I've been weighing myself first thing in the morning after using the washroom. I figured it wouldn't matter much as long as I picked a time and similar situation each day and ran with it.

I have a problem with my feet... by default I put a lot of weight on my heels. That's normal for me (and the reason I wear orthodics when I wear shoes) and so I didn't think twice before weighing myself that way. One time last week, though, I noticed what I was doing and made an effort to even out the force on my feet (I'm supposed to whenever I notice I'm on my heals). As soon as I did I dropped two pounds.

So... does the way you stand on a scale matter? Which reading would be the more accurate one? Normally two pounds would equal 'uh... I don't care' but I'm trying to fine tune my maintenance calories.

drew
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
As long as you weigh yourself the same way every time, it doesn't matter.

malkore
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
depends on the scale. cheaper scales would be more easily skewed by stance than slightly more expensive models.
like, my Tanita doesn't get skewed like that. (no comment on the Tanita's ability to test bodyfat % though ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Wake up, go to the bathroom if you must and weigh yourself naked. Scales vary, but they're usually the same. Just stand evenly and flat-footed.

getfit
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Wake up, go to the bathroom if you must and weigh yourself naked. Scales vary, but they're usually the same. Just stand evenly and flat-footed.
exactly

ShockBoxer
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
The scale at the gym (sliding weight ancient thing) reads me at 177-178 most days so I think I'll try to keep my weight evenly distributed. Maybe I'll weigh myself by standing on my orthodic insoles and see what that does.

And the scale cost 7.99 canadian at Walmart...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-16-2005, 03:05 PM
The scale at the gym (sliding weight ancient thing) reads me at 177-178 most days so I think I'll try to keep my weight evenly distributed. Maybe I'll weigh myself by standing on my orthodic insoles and see what that does.You don't want to be wearing anything when you weigh yourself because it adds weight. Your clothes can add 5 pounds or so. And if you've eaten or drank anything, that will also add weight and won't give you an accurate representation. You don't need to wear anything special on your feet. That sounds like a bit too much work. Weighing yourself shouldn't be complicated.

Shao-LiN
08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Obsessive are we? Get up, before you hop in the shower, get on the scale, use the same stance you usually use. Your weight will fluctuate daily, so weigh yourself once a week on the same day of the week, or once every other week to get a general idea.

ShockBoxer
08-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Obsessive? Nah... just trying to figure if I'm cutting, bulking, or maintaining on my current calorie intake. Up or down it's not moving much... a pound every few weeks (maybe)... so I'm guessing maintaining.

I know weight will fluctuate through the course of the day. I'd use a weekly average if the scale ever moved (but it hasn't ever since I lost 20 pounds earlier this year).

Shao-LiN
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
And this is after how long?

If it hasn't moved at all, and you aren't making progress visually (aka "the mirror" test), then you may have hit a plateau and need to change things up.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Lost 20 pounds in a month back in April. Was burning 400 calories a day on cardio and only eating one meal a day (and two rice crispie squares for breakfast). Got burned out after a month and didn't go the gym again regularly until late July.

Just started week four of WBB1 which is also how long I've been watching what I eat. A lot stronger in some ways and my arms and chest are noticably thicker and much firmer. I think I've lost a little body fat (less of a double chin). Since I barely eat 1600 to 1800 calories a day as is (with occassional days of 2300 to 2600... maybe once a week tops: I'd have to check fitday.) I'm wary about cutting any more off. I'm 180 and dunno body fat but I'm assuming about 30% (thought it was 20% when I started but I think the person who read that was way off).

thetopdog
08-17-2005, 09:22 AM
If you're standing on a decent scale, it doesn't matter how you're standing or even if you're standing on one foot, you'll get the same weight.

darkdan
08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Unless you're going to weigh in for a fight or a wrestling match.....then just use the scale to give you an estimate on how well you're progressing.

So just make your results repeatable.

Either that or put your inserts on the scale and stand on them.

BG5150
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Lemme ask this: do you like what you see in the mirror? If you think you are too fat, then lose weight. If you think you are too skinny, add weight. Simple. I never understood this compulsion with weight and body fat.

ShockBoxer
08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Actually, I am a little obsessive about it. Saying I wasn't earlier was my usual knee-jerk response. See, I do have a very, very mild touch of OCD which is why I fixate on numbers (and why I stretch for exactly 30 seconds now, count stairs that I go up, wash my hands for exactly 45 seconds, and open doors with my hand wrapped in my shirt among other silly and stupid things). You can see why (maybe) something a silly as a pound being shed by changing stances would get a question posed by a person like me.

As for the mirror being the judge... It's not healthy having BF this high so what I think of myself in the mirror is irrelevant.

I am not overjoyed with my physical strength which is why I chose weightlifting over resuming wrecking myself with cardio.

10% BF within the next 5 years is a goal... but the sooner I get there the better for my health.

How to speed it along is the question... I can't really cut any lower. I'm already at 1700 to 1900 calories and my weight is holding. I've spent years with a daily average of less than 1400 and all it got me was fat because of metabolic slowdown. My hope is that I'm at a caloric deficit and recomposing: I am thinner through the face. But how long will this recomposition phase last?