PDA

View Full Version : white rice

hhw
08-16-2005, 02:37 PM
I was wondering if you should worry about carbs' GI index while bulking. I eat white rice for one or two meals a day. Although it is listed in "What a bodybuilder eats," I checked on its GI index and it has a fairly high GI at 98. Should I have wheat stuff instead or does it matter in a bulking phase? Would a higher GI carb cause me to gain more fat over a lower GI carb if they are taken in equal portions calories wise?

waynis
08-16-2005, 02:50 PM
white rice breaksdown into sugar quicker. If your body don't use it it can turn to fat. Since it breaks down quick the best time to eat white rice would be before or after exercise for energy. Otherwise there's no need for the insulin spike white rice can give u. Eat brown rice it's still higher in GI but it's broken down slower for consistant energy and less of a insulin spike.

Built
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
The difference in GI between white rice and brown rice is minimal. Besides, you're likely not eating it alone. Proteins and fats consumed with it will slow the rate of gastric emptying, thus reducing the GI of the meal.

Eat whichever you like - brown or white. Personally, I prefer the taste of brown rice, and I like the extra fibre, but that's me.

waynis
08-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Eat whichever you like - brown or white. Personally, I prefer the taste of brown rice, and I like the extra fibre, but that's me.

The fiber is a big plus! Nutrients wise also.. anything thats in it's natural state will be better for you.

hhw
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd eat brown rice too but I'm Chinese and my family just doesn't eat brown rice....and all the Chinese restaurants only carry white rice

malkore
08-16-2005, 04:42 PM
One of the best parts about eating for health is eating 'the weird stuff'. I'd enjoy the looks my family gave me for eating the brown rice if I was you.

But yeah for bulking, white rice is a long ways from the 'worst choice' you could take. Dont' sweat it too hard.

largelegsbuthot
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd eat brown rice too but I'm Chinese and my family just doesn't eat brown rice....and all the Chinese restaurants only carry white rice

Historically, Chinese people did eat brown rice, but has since converted to white for it's conveinience and taste. From what I've seen of the traditional asian diet, it's pretty good otherwise. If you feel you would benefit from whole grains, why not just buy yourself a small bag of oats? It's very cheap, easily available and superfast to cook. You can have your white rice and oats and not feel guilty.

hhw
08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Historically, Chinese people did eat brown rice, but has since converted to white for it's conveinience and taste. From what I've seen of the traditional asian diet, it's pretty good otherwise. If you feel you would benefit from whole grains, why not just buy yourself a small bag of oats? It's very cheap, easily available and superfast to cook. You can have your white rice and oats and not feel guilty.

Yes, looooong ago my ancestors ate brown rice. But white rice tastes better though. Problem is that I get lunch from nearby Chinese restaurants and they always have rice. I just don't wanna waste the rice you know? I'd avoid white rice when I want to cut but for bulking I think it's still better than a Big Mac?

waynis
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Yes, looooong ago my ancestors ate brown rice. But white rice tastes better though. Problem is that I get lunch from nearby Chinese restaurants and they always have rice. I just don't wanna waste the rice you know? I'd avoid white rice when I want to cut but for bulking I think it's still better than a Big Mac?

yes.. i was about to mention that as well. White rice only tastes better cause thats what your used to. At first brown rice didn't taste that great to me.. now If I had to choose based on taste I would eat brown rice anyway. Ancient chinese culture probably had the best diet.

dissipate
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
oh man... same problem here!! i love brown rice but my family doesn't eat brown rice. since i eat rice only once a day during dinner, it's much easier to eat the white rice my mom cooked.

hhw
08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
oh man... same problem here!! i love brown rice but my family doesn't eat brown rice. since i eat rice only once a day during dinner, it's much easier to eat the white rice my mom cooked.

I feel you man...I don't wanna cook just a little brown rice for myself so I just eat the white rice.

IdaMAN
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
How come there isn't a lot of fat Chinese people if it breaks down into fat? people seem to knock white rice a lot, but is there any real proof it will make you fat or gain weight?

hhw
08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
How come there isn't a lot of fat Chinese people if it breaks down into fat? people seem to knock white rice a lot, but is there any real proof it will make you fat or gain weight?

I think like Built said, white rice combined with other stuff like protein and fat will neutralize its GI? Also, Chinese food is generally cooked with less oil and grease than most Western food. In fact, most Asian diets are less greasy and fatty compared to some Western diets.

IdaMAN
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I get into phases where I go for a month straight eating white rice. Then I get go for a month with out it. I am still not in that cutting mindset but I want to be able to eat white rice without thinking it is going to make me gain more body fat.

largelegsbuthot
08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I thinks it's pretty clear you can eat anything and not get fat so long as you don't eat too much. The chinese eat small portions and alot of good stuff with the rice. Buffets are soley for North Americans, with a North American turn on the food as well.