PDA

View Full Version : PWO question...

thajeepster
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Ive been using oats/whey/banana for a while now, and think its time to try something new.

My order of dextrose and maltodextrin just came in the mail today so tomorrow im gonna try it for my pwo, question is:

If ive been having 80g carbs from oats/banana should I still have 80g carbs from dextrose/malto ? Or should i use less because of the more potent and quick absorbing nature of them?

something like 1.5 scoops whey, 40g dex/40g malto sound about right? could i drop that to 26/26 and a half cup oats... pretty confusing stuff eh?

I know the whole science behind it, .5g carbs per lb, .25g protein etc etc no fats... just wondering what the guys that actually use this stuff all the time had to help out...

Thanks guys.

malkore
08-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd just take protien in grams, double it, and that's your carb intake for PWO meal/shake.

thajeepster
08-16-2005, 04:49 PM
got it, so im eating 7 meals a day on workout days, trying to have 240g total for the day... so 240/7=34.5 so 35g protein and 70g carbs sound decent?

so that'd be 1.5 scoops whey and 35g dex/ 35g malto... = 460 cals 36g pro / 70g carbs and 1.5g fats... thats alot better numbers than my 80g carbs, 37g pro, 6.2g fats from my oats/banana pwo...

HobbsE46
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Giving up oats and whey???????? Noo.....i could never do that:(

Let us know how the new PWO goes

Isaac Wilkins
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Assuming you're working out hard, I doubt you'll find any fat gain from 80g of fast carbs PWO unless you really hit the carbs hard the rest of the day, too.

Personally I like slower carbs but I'm a fatty, while judging from your avatar picture you're not. It won't be as much of an issue for you.

One thing that you may notice is that you might get more of a "crash" an hour or so after you lift when your blood sugar hits rock bottom after the spike. If you notice this and don't like it, take 40g of your carbs pre-workout and 40g after. This is the most nutritionally sound approach anyway but it is a bit more of a pain.

thajeepster
08-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Assuming you're working out hard, I doubt you'll find any fat gain from 80g of fast carbs PWO unless you really hit the carbs hard the rest of the day, too.

Personally I like slower carbs but I'm a fatty, while judging from your avatar picture you're not. It won't be as much of an issue for you.

One thing that you may notice is that you might get more of a "crash" an hour or so after you lift when your blood sugar hits rock bottom after the spike. If you notice this and don't like it, take 40g of your carbs pre-workout and 40g after. This is the most nutritionally sound approach anyway but it is a bit more of a pain.

thanks for the reply, i get in about 75g carbs ppwo, and another 100-120g later in the day between a few meals... should i lower it a tad? I usually have my ppwo about an hour after my pwo, so would that keep me from "crashing"?

Built
08-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Are you getting fat from what you're eating now? If not, I'd leave it alone.

You might need to eat your ppwo meal a little closer to your post wo shake with the dex/malto. I know I have to follow it with a real mean fairly soon or I crash, too, but I gain fat very easily also.

I'm generally more comfortable with slower carbs, but i'll be fiddling with the faster stuff again when I bulk in November. Right now, I'd rather chew my calories. :)

thajeepster
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
good point on the ppwo closer to pwo built... im not gaining fat on my current diet, i just wanted to see what happens if I use this, ive heard things and cant really judge which i like better if i havent tried it at least once, so tomorrow i'll see how it goes.

its only 70g quick digesting carbs, not going to kill me, hell, a 20 oz bottle of coke has more than that. I just wanna see which way gives me better gains.

If it turns out im gaining too much fat, well then thats only about 8 bucks wasted. Not bad IMO.

Thanks for all the rep's guys, and gals :D.