PDA

View Full Version : How do you put on waterweight

AzBboy
08-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi. I've always tried not to drink a load of water as always suggested, rather I drink an amount that I feel is enough, only because I have no idea how water stores itself and I fear drinking loads of water will cause me to put on waterweight. Is this a legitimate fear or should I just indulge in water with confidence that I will not put on weight? I understand water actually makes you LOSE weight, but then how does water weight come about? Are you born with it or does it come from slugging too much water? Thank you!

ReelBigFish
08-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Water weight comes from eating carbs mainly. Each gram of carb. makes you hold 3 grams of water. But don't worry about it, and yes make sure you drink lots of water. Drinking too little will actually make you hold more water. As long as you get enough, your water levels will be normal. Side effects of drinking enough...going pee every 10 mins. :)

Jorge Sanchez
08-17-2005, 11:45 AM
The only weight you should be concerned about gaining is fat.

Unreal
08-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Drink water, atleast a gallon a day.

sharkall2003
08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
A gallon a day and more is okay. I got that saying from this website. Last night when I went for a bike ride I had 2 litres of water in about 1 hour. Also, I read in the how to get muscle mass says to drink tons of water because even when you are not thirsty and exercising you are being dehyrated and a 2% dehyrdration state can significantly decrease performance. Drink water all the damn time even when you don't want to.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
A gallon is four liters, right?

... that's 16 glasses?

I'm lucky to get one liter in.

sharkall2003
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Then again when I ride my bike I have a few shirts on and a jacket so I sweat a whole lot.

muscleup
08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
A gallon is four liters, right?

... that's 16 glasses?

I'm lucky to get one liter in.
1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

drink...drink....drink

ShockBoxer
08-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Gah. I have a hard enough time with being stuffed to near puking on less than 2000 calories without throwing in an additional 12 glasses of water a day. This will be brutal.

Shao-LiN
08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
It's liquid. No calories, not even all that filling over time. It may help satisfy you temporarily, but you act as if it's a load of food you are going to down.

PhilsterT
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
If you drink too much water your body just flushes it out; peeing. If you take too much of anything your body flushes it out. If you start peeing every 3 seconds than I think you had enough.

AzBboy
08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
lmao I'm in the same boat as you shockboxer, hard enough eating my 2100 cals, now add all that water?! DOH!

ShockBoxer
08-18-2005, 06:29 AM
It's not that bad if broken up. I just looked at the gallon and imagined downing a four liter jug of water in a sitting or something. A military canteen holds about a liter if I recall correctly and during basic in 90+ degree weather you had to pound back a canteen and keep it full every chance you got or they really tore a strip off you. If you're awake 16 hours a day then it's a glass of water an hour.

wrestlemaniac
08-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Not getting enough water will cause you to hold on to every drop because your body needs it.

malkore
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Gah. I have a hard enough time with being stuffed to near puking on less than 2000 calories without throwing in an additional 12 glasses of water a day. This will be brutal.

Actually, drinking water will help the body digest the food, so you'll actually start to feel less full once you get used to it.

Titanium_Jim
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Not getting enough water will cause you to hold on to every drop because your body needs it.
This is true. If your pee is not clear by 10AM (depending on when you wake up) you are not drinking enough water. The more water you drink, the less chance you have of retaining extra water weight. Especially if you live in a hot or dry area (like me in the Sonoran desert of Arizona), you can't get too much water. Don't be afraid to drink more water every day. Try to drink more water than you did yesterday.

*Edit: When you're active, you can drink a liter every fifteen minutes, so don't be afraid to drink even more.

Sug
08-23-2005, 01:40 AM
If a gallon is too much, try 1/2 gallon first. It was hard for me at first to but ive been working at our ranch for the past few weeks in 100+*F weather and I drink about 5-7Literes a day. Im only 5ft8 160lbs-+

SpecialK
08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
So when you drink water, what determines whether it's stored in your muscles (good), or under the skin (bad)? Does anyone know for sure?