PDA

View Full Version : Bulk possible without gaining direct stomach/waistline fat/mass?

muscleup
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey, I'm currently on a bulk right now. I'm 6'1 and weigh 179-180lbs naked right when i wake up in the morning. Most of my weight is in my stomach.
I struggle to get 3000 cals down a day, and when I DO it feels like its going right to my gut.
I know that feeling might be natural because my stomach isn't used to handeling that much food each day, but it really bothers me, and i'm afraid my stomach is going to get bigger...not stretched on the inside where the food is stored, but bigger on the outside where it looks like I have a friken beer belly.
I know putting on mass is the whole idea, but i don't want mass in my stomach because it makes me feel fat.

If I eat at maintenece, where I'm not loosing weight, will I still gain muscle mass? Much MUCH slower i'm sure after the first 2months...but it's possible, right?

I don't want to cut just to get the fat off my stomach because that would just defeat the purpose of wanting to get bigger everywhere else on my body...

Built
08-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Change the word "stomach" for "ass" and you've described my upcoming bulk.

The only thing I can suggest is "bulk slow". I'll be adding an extra hundred calories to my days, watching and waiting, then another hundred, then another...

If I increase my cals too fast, I gain too much fat. If I don't increase them fast enough, I merely limit my gains. The latter is the devil I'd prefer.

muscleup
08-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Have you ever heard of anyone bulking for a week, then cutting for a week over and over again? OR maybe not each week, but switch off each month?

Built
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, but I've not heard back on how it worked.

hhw
08-17-2005, 02:44 PM

The only thing I can suggest is "bulk slow". I'll be adding an extra hundred calories to my days, watching and waiting, then another hundred, then another...

If I increase my cals too fast, I gain too much fat. If I don't increase them fast enough, I merely limit my gains. The latter is the devil I'd prefer.

You only add one hundred over maintenance a day? So how long will that take you to gain 1 lb?

muscleup
08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I think I might try it.
Bulk for a week and maintenance/minor cut for a week.
I think i have actually done this before unintentionally, but since I never used to count cals in the past i really paid no attention to bulking or cutting. I just ate ALOT when i was hungry and when i wasn't i didn't. haha

thajeepster
08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I would at least bulk for a few weeks, and then cut for a week or two... I dont think 1 on, 1 off would give you significant gains... It'd be like sitting at maintenance the whole time.

BTW, im in the same boat as you, I feel my bulk is going straight to my gut as well, but i gotta get big somehow :D.

muscleup
08-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I guess the only thing left to do is eat...

thajeepster
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
:D sounds good to me.

Built
08-17-2005, 04:45 PM
You only add one hundred over maintenance a day? So how long will that take you to gain 1 lb?

I add a hundred to my daily cals, wait a bit, see what happens, then another hundred... yes.

As a natural female over forty, I'm not sure I've got that much more muscle to pack on. Over a 4 month period, if I manage to pack on 5 pounds of muscle it'll be a freaking miracle. If I increase my calories too fast, I'll just gain a lot of fat.

I reduced my calories from maintenance of 2300 (143 lbs) to 1700 (130 lbs) over the course of my cut. I'm working the cals up very, very slowly to see if I can get them to at least 2000 without weight gain. Then I'll start cutting back on the cardio. When that's stable, I'll start my ultra-slow bulk.

For me, at this stage of the game, it's more important to be able to eat more food than it is to grow. I'll enjoy stronger workouts and very little fat gain if I bulk slowly like I plan to.

Manveet
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Probably one of my best bulks (in terms of muscle:fat ratio) was when I added 100-200 cals per week to my daily intake when I needed to.

antor
08-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Don't panic about the gut, I'm on a bulk my gut has grown quickly also a accumlation of fat round my chest. It looks gross I made me self concious at first. I started wearing looser shirts pants. makes it less obvious. I started my bulk 3 months back at 170ish, got on the scales today 188lbs So. I looked skinny before I look merry now. are you clean or dirty bulking?

beachmuscles
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I found out a pretty good way. I was cutting at 2300 calories I am 172lbs right now. Every 2 weeks I up the calories by a 100. Yes very slow, but I'm in no rush.

I was at 2800 for 2 weeks, now for the next two weeks ill do 2900.

beachmuscles
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
It's funny I'm almost more strict on my clean bulk, then I was on my cut... go figure?

Last bulk I was an idiot. I thought it was funny to eat taco bell, and go out to eat 3-4 times a week. It worked...but i looked like **** atleast in the gut.

DavyRen
08-18-2005, 05:28 AM
Hey, I'm currently on a bulk right now. I'm 6'1 and weigh 179-180lbs naked right when i wake up in the morning. Most of my weight is in my stomach.
I struggle to get 3000 cals down a day, and when I DO it feels like its going right to my gut.
I know that feeling might be natural because my stomach isn't used to handeling that much food each day, but it really bothers me, and i'm afraid my stomach is going to get bigger...not stretched on the inside where the food is stored, but bigger on the outside where it looks like I have a friken beer belly.
I know putting on mass is the whole idea, but i don't want mass in my stomach because it makes me feel fat.

If I eat at maintenece, where I'm not loosing weight, will I still gain muscle mass? Much MUCH slower i'm sure after the first 2months...but it's possible, right?

I don't want to cut just to get the fat off my stomach because that would just defeat the purpose of wanting to get bigger everywhere else on my body...

Someone in exactly the same position as myself, this is what WBB is all about.

thajeepster
08-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that losing weight is a hell of alot easier than gaining it cleanly? The way i see, I know i can lose the weight... i got down to 7%bf at 145lbs, from around 175lbs, So if i gain a little fat, i know damn well i can easily lose it...

ShockBoxer
08-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Lucky you. I get fat at the slightest provocation and it takes ages to lose anything ... unless I'm being crazy and working out every day at a 50% deficit or more like I did earlier this year to drop 20 (which would seriously trash my shiny, new, hard earned muscles were I to try it again, I'm sure).

muscleup
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Don't panic about the gut, I'm on a bulk my gut has grown quickly also a accumlation of fat round my chest. It looks gross I made me self concious at first. I started wearing looser shirts pants. makes it less obvious. I started my bulk 3 months back at 170ish, got on the scales today 188lbs So. I looked skinny before I look merry now. are you clean or dirty bulking?
Trying to stay as clean as possible, until i'm close to dinner time and i realize i'm 1000+cals under schedule...then I hit the PB and anything goes...

muscleup
08-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that losing weight is a hell of alot easier than gaining it cleanly? The way i see, I know i can lose the weight... i got down to 7%bf at 145lbs, from around 175lbs, So if i gain a little fat, i know damn well i can easily lose it...
I've never had to loose weight, so i don't know if i can do it easily or not. i'm an Ecto, so i assume it wont be a problem for me to cut.
I thought I would at least need to stay around 3k cals to bulk, but I don't really know what my maint lvl is, so i might not have to go up to 3k everyday right now. I've hit 3k the last 2 days, and to get there I just upped my PB and milk intake. I think i'm going to try to hit at least 2800, but nothing lower.

hhw
08-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I add a hundred to my daily cals, wait a bit, see what happens, then another hundred... yes.

As a natural female over forty, I'm not sure I've got that much more muscle to pack on. Over a 4 month period, if I manage to pack on 5 pounds of muscle it'll be a freaking miracle. If I increase my calories too fast, I'll just gain a lot of fat.

I reduced my calories from maintenance of 2300 (143 lbs) to 1700 (130 lbs) over the course of my cut. I'm working the cals up very, very slowly to see if I can get them to at least 2000 without weight gain. Then I'll start cutting back on the cardio. When that's stable, I'll start my ultra-slow bulk.

For me, at this stage of the game, it's more important to be able to eat more food than it is to grow. I'll enjoy stronger workouts and very little fat gain if I bulk slowly like I plan to.

something to look forward to in life, eh? :cry:

Built
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Why the tears, hhw? You cutting now?

hhw
08-18-2005, 02:01 PM
cuz i don't wanna get old

Built
08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks.

hhw
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Sorry, that didn't sound too good...didn't mean to be an ass. But I'd be very happy if I can be in as good shape as you are when I'm 40. Just saying it sucks that metabolism starts slowing down as people age

Built
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
LOL! N/P :D

It's just the way it goes. We're born with a terminal illness. It's called "life".

I'm just fighting it, tooth and nail.

;)