PDA

View Full Version : Post workout meal questions

Dimitri
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Ok these are probably silly questions but I'm utterly shameless so I'll ask. After the workout I'm usually hungry.. so is it ok if I skip the post w/o shake (whey+dextrose) and I eat instead? I'm on a bulking cycle and I find that the shake just curbs my appetite for a couple of hours and makes me lose a good meal. Will eating after w/o take as much advantage of the "opportunity window" as drinking a protein shake? (Btw, is there really such a thing as an opportunity window or is just hyped up by the supp companies to boost their sales?)

Built
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
You're fine with real food.

You can drink the shake before you lift, or during if you like. What's your pre-workout nutrition like? If you've got some carbs in you an hour beforehand, they'll be there for you post workout.

DavyRen
08-18-2005, 05:24 AM
On training days I always train at 6.15pm, usually have my evening meal about 7ish and my shake about 8pm cos if I have my drink first I usually feel too full to eat my tea.

Beholder
08-18-2005, 05:30 AM
and by eat you mean drink your tea right? :)

muscleup
08-18-2005, 07:05 AM
No one really answered the "Hype" question about fast absorbing protein is best 30-45mins after you lift question. (whey isolate?)
I down 50g of whey isolate protein mixed with 8oz of milk and 2tbls of PB as soon as i get home from working out. Then I literally force feed myself dinner until it's time to go to bed...it's an ugly process, but it must be so...

Jorge Sanchez
08-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I haven't had a shake in the past 4 months, during which time I have seen my best gains. You don't need whey to gain muscle.

muscleup
08-18-2005, 07:24 AM
I haven't had a shake in the past 4 months, during which time I have seen my best gains. You don't need whey to gain muscle.
Not when you eat 3 BS chicken breasts, 2 cans of Tuna and 4-6 eggs a day...hehe :p

malkore
08-18-2005, 10:00 AM
I lift about 7pm, so when I get home at 5pm, I have a light meal. After I get home from the gym, I drink my whey+creatine shake.
an hour later (9ish) is when I have my cottage cheese, a little fiber one, and a tbsp of natty PB.
I'm trying to lean out right now, so I'm doing more whey shakes as snacks to keep my cals at a good level while dropping the carbs.