PDA

View Full Version : Turkey- deli and fresh

endoplasm
08-18-2005, 07:36 PM
After reviewing a bunch of threads, it seems the consensus is that sliced deli meat from the supermarket is full of salt, nitrates and other preservatives. Does it follow that those big plastic-wrapped frozen turkey breasts have the same problem? I love deli turkey sandwiches, but have committed to being as healthy and clean as possible. I can't eat tuna 24-7. I'd be willing to roast a turkey breast and freeze it in weekly portions, but don't want to waste my time if it's just the same as the deli meat.

ReelBigFish
08-18-2005, 11:13 PM
yeah bro, they are just as bad. All they are is the same kind of processed meat, shaped into a "breast" shape.

malkore
08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I've seen real turkey breast halves for sale, so if you can find those, and check the ingredients to make sure they didn't inject a bunch of sal****er or chicken broth, that'd be ok. Or maybe even ask the butcher.
But those Jeani-O brand turkey breast 'loafs' are no better than the deli meat.

Jorge Sanchez
08-19-2005, 01:03 PM
And I don't think tuna is any better for you, it has tons of mercury. Unless you can afford to go organic you really have no other choice. I eat about a half pound of deli turkey a day and I'm still kickin' though.

malkore
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Tuna doesn't contain that much mercury, unless you start eating 2 cans a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Somewhere on this site there was a thread and someone actually did the math based on avg. mercury levels in a can of tuna. I think it turned out that 4-5 cans a week was completely safe.

Jorge Sanchez
08-19-2005, 01:09 PM
I actually read that thread, and as a result of it did some independent research, but I was replying to the OPs statement that "I can't eat tuna 24-7". I don't think that is healthy. Almost anything in moderation is fine.

YungLifter
08-19-2005, 04:19 PM
you can eat chunk light tuna everyday, albacore tuna on other hand wouldn't be to good to eat every day.

hoser813
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
yeah, albacore is a deep sea fish and has high a mercury content, but the chunk light has little to none in it and wont harm you.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I thought deep sea fish had less mercury. :/