PDA

View Full Version : Help needed setting up a diet

jarhead
12-19-2001, 11:38 AM
I am having a difficult time coming up with a diet which will enable me to bulk up. The major problem is my daily work schedule which prevents me from eating properly. I will list my daily routine in hopes that you could help me with my diet.
4:45am - wake up
7:00am - get to work
5:00pm - leave work
6:00pm - work out 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Thur) WBB rouine 1
7:15pm - get home and eat whatever dinner is served
10:30pm - go to sleep

Based on my schedule, what is the best way to incorporate 5-6 meals which will allow me to bulk up? Of course the biggest problem is eating properly while at work. I work in Manhattan and all we have is a bunch of salad bar type of delis, pizza places, and fast food joints. Maybe I should start bringing my meals to work.
I kept track of the foods I ate the past few days and came up with these numbers (averages):
Cals: 2000-2200 Fat: 35-50g Carbs: 250-350g Prot: 120-150g

Thanks in advance.

Tryska
12-19-2001, 11:45 AM
well here's what i do:

5:30 am - wake up..coffee, meal 1 (cottage cheese and flax)

8am: leave for work
9:30am: meal 2 - yogurt or some oats (brought from home)
12:30: meal 3 (typically on sundays i make a whole pot of something that fits my requirements and split it up in those little gladware thingies)
3:30: meal 4 usually a piece of fruit, perhaps a protein bar, sometimes just cheese cubes, or even a couple hard boiled eggs (brought from home)
4:30ish: leave work, go to the gym
5:30ish: home, drinks some whey and milk
8:00pm: eat a salad with some protein on it.
10:00pm: sleep

if i were you, since your never quite sure what's for dinner....i would opt for the salad option for your lunch time meal. incidentally the above meal plan is at about 2000-ish cals too.

ericg
12-19-2001, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
well here's what i do:

5:30 am - wake up..coffee, meal 1 (cottage cheese and flax)

8am: leave for work
9:30am: meal 2 - yogurt or some oats (brought from home)
12:30: meal 3 (typically on sundays i make a whole pot of something that fits my requirements and split it up in those little gladware thingies)
3:30: meal 4 usually a piece of fruit, perhaps a protein bar, sometimes just cheese cubes, or even a couple hard boiled eggs (brought from home)
4:30ish: leave work, go to the gym
5:30ish: home, drinks some whey and milk
8:00pm: eat a salad with some protein on it.
10:00pm: sleep

if i were you, since your never quite sure what's for dinner....i would opt for the salad option for your lunch time meal. incidentally the above meal plan is at about 2000-ish cals too.

Sounds planned out (which seems to be the key as well as consistency)

If ya dont mind me asking: In meal 3, you say you make a pot of something.....think you can give some examples, and what is the macro breakdown of those examples (approximate). Thanks BABE;)

Tryska
12-19-2001, 12:18 PM
wow.....macros. hmmm..let me see if i've got my jounral somewhere.

well in any case....what i look to do on sunday is make a meal that will have 3-4 ozs of protein, and about a cup of vegetables...

so say....salmon filet with broccoli, or chicken breast and zucchini, or maybe ground beef chili without the beans, or steak and eggplant or something of that nature.

so let's say...20-23grams protein, maybe 5g fat?, and 10-15g fibrous carbs?

CBates
12-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Here is what I use for my diet, you may need to make some changes due to the times, b/c I work long and kind of late shifts. But this diet has helped me lose body fat and gain muscle.

7:00 am: outmeal and skim milk (pre workout)
8:30 am: whey shake w/ water (post workout)
9:30 am: 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, and flax
1:00 pm: an apple and cottage cheese
4:30 pm: 1 can of tuna and 2 servings of green veggies
8:00 pm: 1 can of tuna and some kind of veggies
10:00 pm: 1 piece of baked chicken
11:30 pm: cottage cheese and flax (before I go to bed)

spreading my meals out like that throughout the day makes sure I don't get too hungry between the meals. I usually follow that diet Sunday-Friday. On Saturday, I may eat a little more carbs since I'm usually craving them kind of bad someties.

ElPietro
12-19-2001, 12:21 PM
I have a question for you Tryska...WTF are you doing from 5:30-8am that you need that much time before leaving for work? :confused:

Wizard
12-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Really.. what are you doing???!! :confused:

Tryska
12-19-2001, 12:27 PM
5:30am to 7am i am waking up, including drinking my coffee, eating my breakfast, taking my supps, trying to get a positive mental attitude for the day ;) . in other words, caffeinating. 7-8am i'm showering and getting dressed.

ElPietro
12-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Hmm...I will hit snooze 10 times before I wake up...I've even reset my alarm to give myself 3 minutes of additional sleep before. I will finally get up when there is just enough time to scramble for a shower, get dressed, and out the door. Generally I'm always 5-10 minutes late for work. But I got those extra minutes of sleep!

Tryska
12-19-2001, 12:37 PM
well i've found for myself, if i try to snooze past when my body wants to wake up, i tend to feel more tired and groggy for the rest of the day. My sleep cycle usually has me waking about around 5:30 naturally, although this morning i woke up at 4:30 for some wierd reason.

but we're digressing here.

sorry about that.

ericg
12-19-2001, 12:42 PM
wow.....macros. hmmm..let me see if i've got my jounral somewhere.

well in any case....what i look to do on sunday is make a meal that will have 3-4 ozs of protein, and about a cup of vegetables...

so say....salmon filet with broccoli, or chicken breast and zucchini, or maybe ground beef chili without the beans, or steak and eggplant or something of that nature.

so let's say...20-23grams protein, maybe 5g fat?, and 10-15g fibrous carbs?

Great ideas....you need to write a cook book....:D

jarhead
12-19-2001, 12:50 PM
I am staring to get some ideas now. I will have to start bringing some food with me to work as suggested by Tryska. Should not be a problem since we have a fridge and a microwave. Should I also sneak in some kind of a protein shake? Reading recent threads, Prolab's N-Large2 seems to be a popular one and has a whopping 600 cals/serving.

Tryska
12-19-2001, 12:51 PM
*lol* my mom has been telling me for years i need to get into cooking...but i've been ignoring her. thanks for the compliment though.

honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that my diet was so unorthodox, and i work 8 hours a day, i wouldn't be cooking at all, but in order to meet my goals, and make money, it takes a little bit of planning and forethought to accomodate things.

Tryska
12-19-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jarhead
I am staring to get some ideas now. I will have to start bringing some food with me to work as suggested by Tryska. Should not be a problem since we have a fridge and a microwave. Should I also sneak in some kind of a protein shake? Reading recent threads, Prolab's N-Large2 seems to be a popular one and has a whopping 600 cals/serving.

you could do that....although the bulking shakes tend to be high in carbs....umm....if it were me, i would do a protein shake or a smoothie with protein in it, on the ride in to work, or the ride home from the gym.

jarhead
12-19-2001, 02:18 PM
..bulking shakes tend to be high in carbsIsn't that what I want in order to increase the caloric intake?

...if it were me, i would do a protein shake or a smoothie with protein in it, on the ride in to work, or the ride home from the gym. Any recommendation on the type/brand? Can I premix it the night before and take it to work the next day?

Tryska
12-19-2001, 02:22 PM
i'm sorry...i thought for some reason you were cutting. i forgot..you wanted big legs right? *lol*

go for the bulking shake then.....drink it on the train ride in.

smoothies would be problematic, unless you make them the day off, and then you need to carry it with you and whatnot.....y'all don't have smoothie stores up there?

jarhead
12-19-2001, 02:29 PM
You've got some memory there. I am the one who wants bigger legs. I just can see myself drinking a protein shake on the train ride while everybody is sipping their coffee :o. I don't think we have any smoothie places up here. So you are saying, on the off days, I should be drinking just a regular protein shake?

smalls
12-19-2001, 03:36 PM
jarhead,
sorry for being dumb, but your male right. Cause if you are you need to be eating more to be bulking. Of course that depends on your weight and other factors. But if your "normal" you should take everyones advice here about timing your meals, just eating more. That should be your biggest concern, just getting enough cals to gain.

Tryska
12-19-2001, 05:27 PM
smalls is right...i saw the 2000kcal and thought he was cutting.....

but this is prolly your maintenace cals at the moment right? so you need to add 500 on top of that?

while protein shakes are nice additions for extra calories...training days or off days, i would try to get my main cals from regular old food.

jarhead
12-20-2001, 05:55 AM
smalls,
I am a male and I do know that I should be eating more to increase the calories. My height is 5'11" at 173lbs and Tryska is right, 2000-2100 calories is my maintenance weight. I will search the forum for some ideas for a diet and what type of foods to eat.

the doc
12-20-2001, 06:04 AM
well here's what i do:

...typically on sundays i make a whole pot of something that fits my requirements and split it up in those little gladware thingies)...

I do the same every sunday as well!
last weekend i made 2.5 gallons of chicken and barley soup in my huge pressure cooker...lol

Tryska
12-20-2001, 06:27 AM
you know..my mom gave me a pressure cooker last year, and i still haven't figured out how to use the damn thing.

jarhead....since you are bulking you could take advantage of an insulin response to store protein, i would think......

maybe combining protein and carbs, in your meals, and keeping the fat relatively low?

doc? what do you think? (bulking is not my forte)