PDA

View Full Version : science behind bulking?

Podium Kreatin
02-27-2001, 06:55 AM
r there scientific studies on bulking stages, or is it based more on empirical and observational studies? rasslin's over, and i wanna know for sure b4 i say bye bye to my six pack:( i'm up to 6% bf, and hope to get to double digits soon. what %bf is bulking? i'm 130lb 5'4 now, what cal intake should i take? bulk w/ junk food, or supp, natural?
sorry for asking so many q's. i never bulked b4

Sinep
02-27-2001, 07:27 AM
My bulking consist of high protein, high calorie meals.. I eat 6 times a day (7 sometimes). I use food such as beef, eggwhites, tuna, rice, oatmeal, chicken. Bulking is necessary in my opinion.. trying to gain muscle while maintaning a low bf is very hard and inefficient. There's no science behind this.. you eat, you grow, that simple. IMO, there's no need for junk food in a bulk although you don't have to restrict yourself as much as when dieting down.

lick
02-27-2001, 07:29 AM
first of all, i dont have any info on scientific studies on bulking, maybe some of the other members will know.

im replying to you because we are close in size, im actually near 140lb, but only because ive been bulking for a little while now. But i started off at 130.

First, I would eat all clean foods if you can. Sure, you can bulk w/junk food, but clean food is definitely better. Junk food tends to be just a bunch of empty calories.
I would say since you are only 130, like i was, then avoid most supps for awhile, except, get yourself a Multivitamin, and some Vitamin C.

Eat lots of natural, clean food. (IE, tuna, chicken, turkey, brown rice (i eat steamed wild rice), oatmeal, potatoes, wheat bread, etc etc. Also, get some sort of fat in there, IE natty peanut butter, and flaxseed oil if you can.

For your calories, it really depends. Ive started bulking with a 3200 cal diet, split into 6 meals. Its hard and sometimes i miss, but im still gaining weight. You can split it this way. I had a post on this awhile back, and some very helpful ppl answered. you can search for a post by me if you would like to see that.

sorry to cut this short, late for school.

hemants
02-27-2001, 11:40 AM
this is going to sound revolutionairy but the science behind bulking is eat more calories than you use.

the science behind cutting is use more calories than you eat

I should win a nobel prize :)

people seem obsessed with macronutrient percentages (it's no wonder with all the fad diets out there) but a healthy diet is a healthy diet. If you want to bulk, eat more of the same healthy food.

J-Flyer
02-27-2001, 08:36 PM
Here's some scientific studies:

www.musclemedia.com/training/abcde/v58_abc1.asp

Frankster
02-28-2001, 07:49 AM
I reccomend every one read that very long article. Very educative.

MissAbs
03-01-2001, 10:03 AM
Well said Hemants........ maybe not noble prize winning, but at least worthy of a gold star...

Hulk- get the boy a star would ya....

David
03-01-2001, 10:30 AM
Geez - now whats so special about this hemants guy - all he said was basic stuff that any novice should already know.

If you want to bulk just eat more!!

Braveheart99
03-01-2001, 12:29 PM
I just printed out the article so I can read it when I get home from work, what I have read so far really is getting me excited.

Thanks for posting this article, I think it may be what I was looking for. :D

gino
03-01-2001, 01:17 PM
2 steps forward, 1 step back is a great way to describe this caloric cycling. I've tried it and liked it. The theory is that you can put on some quality muscle with fat on the high calorie weeks and lose all of the fat and keep most of the muscle on the low calorie weeks. For instance:

-Week 1-2
gain 3 lbs muscle, gain 2 lbs fat

-Week 3-4
lose 1 lb muscle, lose 2 lbs fat

-Repeat

So, in summary, this person gained 2 lbs of muscle and NO fat after 4 weeks. It's worth a try - it worked for me, with 10 years of training under my belt, so it may work for most of you.

Podium Kreatin
03-03-2001, 08:55 PM
i know how to bulk, but my q was "what does bulking do?" hope that cleared that up.

Frankster
03-03-2001, 09:03 PM
Read the long article. it will tell you exactly what it does.

gary
03-04-2001, 11:13 PM
Bulking and cutting cycles are helpful because its hard to count exact calories that would cause muscle gain without gaining fat. Thats why most people eat a lot during bulking phase and eat substantially less during cutting phase.

I think if a weight training man loses only 2lbs of fat in 2 weeks (nice planned healthy diet), he should not be losing that 1lbs of muscle. He might lose nothing, make a modest muscle gain or lose upto quarter pound muscle during that 2week period.

There is one science behind cutting, never cut when your workouts are not intense enough. For example, if you have shoulder or knee or lower back problem that stops you from working out certain body parts - its not the right time for cutting.

Originally posted by gino

-Week 3-4
lose 1 lb muscle, lose 2 lbs fat

Podium Kreatin
03-04-2001, 11:15 PM
ok, i read that thing :mad: i get it now. i thought bulking was for months. did anybody get good results w/ this? it's backed up w/ sources (so that's why we need them for school research papers:))

Podium Kreatin
03-07-2001, 12:29 AM
bumper sticker