PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from Truprotien.. what kind of sweetner should I chose?

ClubberLang
08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
the choices are...

Asulfame K, Aspertame, Stevia and Sucralose.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2005, 12:59 PM
You shouldn't use any of those fake sugar replacements because they're not good for you. If you're going to pick one anyway, you should probably go with sucralose (Splenda). However, chlorine is used to combine the molecules in sucralose if I recall...and well...that's not good.

ClubberLang
08-21-2005, 03:02 PM
how will it taste without sweetener?

Built
08-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I'd go with sucralose and or asulfame K. I'm not a fan of Stevia, although it's natural - it has a weird taste to me. Aspartame is nasty.

It has been my experience that combining two artificial sweeteners works better than simply using twice as much of one. The synergy gives a better "sweet" taste.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
@ ClubberLang: Why do you want to use artificial sweeteners anyway?

Paul Stagg
08-21-2005, 03:51 PM
You shouldn't use any of those fake sugar replacements because they're not good for you. If you're going to pick one anyway, you should probably go with sucralose (Splenda). However, chlorine is used to combine the molecules in sucralose if I recall...and well...that's not good.

Please post a source. If you do not have one, please refrain from posts like this.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2005, 04:23 PM
What is sucralose made of?

Sucralose is derived from sugar through a patented, multi-step process that selectively substitutes three chlorine atoms for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule. The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is exceptionally stable.http://www.ific.org/publications/brochures/sucralosebroch.cfm

In the case of Sucralose, Chlorine replaces the alcohol segments in the sucrose molecule (really - that's the ONLY difference between sucrose and Sucralose!). The resulting molecule is extremely stable. It ALWAYS passes through the body unchanged. The Sucralose that comes out in your feces is identical with that which entered your mouth earlier. It is completely indigestible. All it does is trigger the tongue to sense "sweetness" at about 600 times the level of regular sucrose - sugar.

The very nature of Sucralose makes it NOT dangerous. Since it doesn't break down in the body, it can't cause harm on its own. Since there is no known way for it to act as a catalyst for another reaction - negative or otherwise - it MUST be harmless!http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/11871

I don't know how bad it is, but here are some "side effects":

Is it safe for me to eat or drink a chlorinated product?

In the case of Splenda, we simply donít know for certain what long-term consumption of this substance can do to people over their lifetimes. Some health professionals have expressed concern that Splenda may put the health of people who consume it at risk. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed possible side-effects from consuming Splenda, including enlarged liver and kidneys, decreased white blood cell count, reduced growth rate and decreased fetal body weight.http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Elrd/fr980403.html

Built
08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
To be fair, chlorine IS in foods that we normally eat. And need. Salt, for example.

The ionic compound NaCl is a choride ion and a sodium ion. Sodium, on its own, is an unstable metal that bursts into flames on contact with water.

I'm just sayin'...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Nothing is for certain, I guess. It seems like there's trace amounts of everything in the food we eat. I just prefer natural sugar over Splenda.

Built
08-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Just depends what you want. If you have trouble with the carbs, then you'll need something to make it palatable, or find something else to eat.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, that's for sure. We all have our own level of tolerability with certain foods/nutrients. I myself am lactose intolerant, so I can't consume as much dairy as I'd like. I take enzymes and flax oil when I eat dairy, but even then if I consume too much dairy, I get dreadfully sick.

Paul Stagg
08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Just so it's clear, you did not post any source that backed up your claim that 'fake' sweeteners are bad for you.

Shao-LiN
08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd go with BSL (Black Star Labs) flavoring. The chocolate is a really good one, but I've heard that all of them are pretty good.

MM
08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
100% natural ON Whey has nothing artificial, for anyone who worries about artificial sweetners.

Shao-LiN
08-22-2005, 12:07 AM
If that's the case, he can go with Stevia as that's what the natural whey by ON uses.

malkore
08-22-2005, 09:30 AM
There is a consumer awareness group out there that swears up and down that sucralose is dangerous. their website reads like a radical religious fundamentalist group though...so I'm not going to bother posting it. If you google'd 'danger of splenda' you'll find it.

My motto: all in moderation. I still use table sugar in my morning coffee, half sugar and half splenda. that's the only time I bother with refined sugar though. splenda packet in my oatmeal.
But I wouldn't advise drinking a 6 pack of diet soda sweetened with splenda any more than i'd recommend a 6 pack of diet soda sweetend with aspartame, saccarhine, or nutrasweet.