PDA

View Full Version : Q on HIIT

YungLifter
08-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Could HIIT alone be considered a workout for lower body day? Like say you do 2x a week split and 1 lower body day you do squats, dead etc and the other you do HIIT. Would this be good idea to do or just do both days squats and deads?

Paul Stagg
08-22-2005, 06:10 AM
It's not the same.

MixmasterNash
08-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Sprinting is a good full body exercise and can induce hypertrophy, especially in the hamstrings and calves, though perhaps not as well as full ROM lifts.

However, you probably should be doing some cardio work, and HIIT is great (but hard!), so the question is, can you lift legs twice AND do HIIT?

YungLifter
08-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Well ill giv it a try and push my self to see if I can do it. Do you recommend doing it at end of leg workout or before it?

Anthony
08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Definitely NOT before. Preferably on a separate day.

RickTheDestroyer
08-22-2005, 07:55 AM
HIIT will make your legs sore, but I sure wouldn't use it in place of squats and stuff. I have acclimated to it a little, to the point that it doesn't detroy me like it did at first (I am not, and have never been, particularly "athletically inclined," so running /pwns my ass.)

I'd do it 2x a week on your upper days (unless leg day is the next day) or on off days (ditto). This has been working well for me- I've been bulking slowly and I truly think it's been helping to keep the fat gain to a minimum.

Progress
08-22-2005, 08:15 AM
HIIT is cardio. How can it be compared to weight training?

RickTheDestroyer
08-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Well- it's sort of cardio. I think that the difference has been adequately explained elsewhere, so I'm not going to go over it in detail here. The key thing is that HIIT is generally anaerobic, whereas doing the elliptical for 3 hours is aerobic. Of course, that's simplifying things, but uh... brain hurt.

Anthony
08-22-2005, 09:08 AM

Weight training is cardio too. Every type of exercise is cardio. The difference is whether it's a predominately aerobic exercise or anaerobic exercise. Long distance running/cycling is aerobic, weight training/sprinting/hiit is anaerobic.

MixmasterNash
08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Sprinting, particularly the start, is probably closer to power movements like the olympic lifts, more than strength lifts like squatting or deads.

Progress
08-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Weight training is cardio too. Every type of exercise is cardio. The difference is whether it's a predominately aerobic exercise or anaerobic exercise. Long distance running/cycling is aerobic, weight training/sprinting/hiit is anaerobic.

Ah I see.

When I bulk or just don't do any "cardio" (which for me is treadmill work or running work) I don't feel fit. When I do HIIT or distance training I generally feel healthier. I know HIIT isn't anaerobic, but for me just getting on the treadmill and running for 20 minutes at time gets my heart working in ways weight training just wouldn't touch.

PowerManDL
08-22-2005, 11:02 PM
If you want to sprint, then yes that's the way to do it, by dropping the volume on your leg work to accomodate it.

But if you're working on getting bigger/stronger, it's not ideal. And there's other ways to maintain cardio fitness without compromising strength training goals.

Progress
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
If you want to sprint, then yes that's the way to do it, by dropping the volume on your leg work to accomodate it.

But if you're working on getting bigger/stronger, it's not ideal. And there's other ways to maintain cardio fitness without compromising strength training goals.

Thus HIIT should be a supplement to your overal workout, right? As it's own you will only see minimal gains if at all when it comes to hypertrophy/strength.

djreef
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I don't agree. Since I've re-started doing HIIT (sprints), and using it to replace one of my leg workouts a week, I've actually added 60lbs to my squat over a 2.5 month period. I've also added 2" to my quads. It may be as simple as a shift in training style, but it definitely has made me re-evaluate my principles. I've encorporated a number of explosive movements into my regimen with decent success.

DJ