PDA

View Full Version : Liquor and weightlifting

Joker32
08-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I dont drink beer...but from what ive heard, liquor is better for the workout routine and once a week isnt a big deal? Is vodka the best? Does anyone have some calorie or fat facts or anything. Im sort of obsessive compulsive about my routine and i dont want to consume anything that hinders my results. I heard that bacardi was fine...i mean if something has 170 calories and no fat, low sugar...thats not really a problem correct?

getfit
08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
everything in moderation!

i'm sure if you google you'll find your answers on the calories and amount of sugar these beverages contain!

Meat_Head
08-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Any kind of alcohol is harmful to your progress in the gym, although its true that some are better than others. I'm no expert in this area, but I believe the higher the purity and quality of the alcohol, the better it is on your body. For example, drinking low quality beer in high amounts always makes me uncomfortably hungover, but after drinking proportianate amounts of liquor(especially more expensive liquor) my hangover is minimal or non-existant the next day.

As far as calories go, alcohol has 8 cals per gram, so no matter what you drink there's always going to be alot. It does help to drink stuff that has less simple carbs(sugar) for flavor though.

Be sure to always drink a ton of water after your drunken escapades. The dehydrating effect of alcohol absolutely kills your progress, its the last thing your body wants after hard weightlifting sessions, so always have something else to drink with or after your alcohol.

Joker32
08-22-2005, 03:24 PM
All Distilled Spirits (rum, vodka, whiskey, gin, tequila, bourbon, etc.) 97 cals 0.00 fat .000 carbs

I mean you cant go wrong with this according to the numbers

getfit
08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
once in awhile is fine don't worry i'm sure most of us here enjoy our drink! ;)

TheGimp
08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
All Distilled Spirits (rum, vodka, whiskey, gin, tequila, bourbon, etc.) 97 cals 0.00 fat .000 carbs

I mean you cant go wrong with this according to the numbers

It's not just about the calories though. Protein synthesis will halt until all of the alcohol has been metabolised, which can be many hours depending on the number of units consumed. This is just one of several negative metabolic effects alcohol consumption will have. It's a toxic macronutrient, plain and simple.

P.S. You're not the only bodybuilder who drinks, do a search for more details on the subject.

Paul Stagg
08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I dont drink beer...but from what ive heard, liquor is better for the workout routine and once a week isnt a big deal? Is vodka the best? Does anyone have some calorie or fat facts or anything. Im sort of obsessive compulsive about my routine and i dont want to consume anything that hinders my results. I heard that bacardi was fine...i mean if something has 170 calories and no fat, low sugar...thats not really a problem correct?

If you are really that OCD and really that dedicated, you would:

a) already know the answer to this question and,
b) not drink much, if at all.

Slim Schaedle
08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
It's not just about the calories though. Protein synthesis will halt until all of the alcohol has been metabolised, which can be many hours depending on the number of units consumed.
Agreed

sharkall2003
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I was told two things by a guy that gave me some advice. He said stay away from women and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Griffin98
08-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Well, I absolutely refuse to give up women but comsuming alcohol is one of the most catabolic things you can do to your body.

sharkall2003
08-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, I absolutely refuse to give up women but comsuming alcohol is one of the most catabolic things you can do to your body.

I have only drank once and believe me the women thing, well lets say I could not be successful at giving that up.

zer06ame
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
the reason i stopped drinking (i don't think i was sober ever during the first week of summer) was because i found out about it stopping protein synthesis. i say **** that, i'd much rather be gaining then getting drunk, no one else can understand why i don't wanna drink anymore but oh well, atleast i don't look like them (or as weak as them). i'll drink like once/twice a month now but not a lot, just to keep my social life in check lol

Mic Soloist
08-23-2005, 02:36 AM
I love beer more than almost anything. I also love bodybuilding more than almost anything. The two do not go together very well :(

But I try to enjoy both as much as possible. I refuse to give up beer just because I love working out and looking good. For what it's worth, I am not drinking for the next 8 weeks, due to my SD cycle and PCT. Going this long without a cold beer is one of the toughest things I'll ever do :(