PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as too much fiber?

eps
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I feel like I might be going overboard with the fiber I'm consuming ... here's why:

I eat about 3 whole wheat bagels per day, and with my 2 protein shakes, I add 4 level tablespoons of powdered fiber into them.

I'm getting around 40+ grams per day I think.

Anyway, the reason I posted this thread was because I notice I am eating a hell of a lot more, but I noticed I was LOSING weight!!!

I think the fiber has made me use the bathroom 7 times yesterday -- I'm wondering if my body is absorbing any nutrients in the intestine or if it's just emptying it all out?

Should I slow down on the fiber?

More to the point: What should I do?

My weight loss during a bulk is starting to discourage me :-(

Thanks in advance,

-Eps

Built
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Why, on a bulk, would you put something in your shakes that would slow down and interfere with their digestion?

thetopdog
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Why, on a bulk, would you put something in your shakes that would slow down and interfere with their digestion?

Slowing down digestion wouldn't be a problem, and would actually be a good thing on a bulk, unless the shakes he's talking about are pre or post workout shakes

ElPietro
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Yes, it's called, "when you **** in your pants."

Built
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Slowing down digestion wouldn't be a problem, and would actually be a good thing on a bulk, unless the shakes he's talking about are pre or post workout shakes

That's the part I was thinking of.

thetopdog
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
That's the part I was thinking of.

Yeah, I figured that. You always know what you're talking about

Built
08-22-2005, 03:06 PM
LOL! Well, I don't, but I'm stumbling toward knowing more and more about what I'm talking about.

When I don't, I continue to rely on bullsh!t. Just like everybody else.

;)

malkore
08-22-2005, 03:37 PM
You are crapping more because you are eating a lot more. The fiber is a good thing because you don't want to be constipated.

Unless you're seeing a steady loss in weight over 2-3 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. It was probably water weight, or a mis-weigh.

wrestlemaniac
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Fiber is not a diaretic. It doesn't make you ****, it just doesn't stay in your body. It will make you "regular". It won't give you diarhea. It will actually prevent you from getting diarhea if you are eating enough of it. The only reason Fiber could possibly be slowing down your weight gain is the fact that it takes up space in your stomach so you can not eat as much.

ReelBigFish
08-22-2005, 10:41 PM
well too much fiber can actually cause constipation if not enough water is consumed.

raniali
08-22-2005, 11:21 PM
well as to your original question about the value of 40 g of fiber,
The recommended dietary fiber intake is 14 grams per 1,000 calories consumed.
http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter7.htm

at 3,000 cal, you are right where you should be according to the government. from other sources i have encountered, i was led to believe that the more fiber, the better, almost without limit (obviously there is a limit but you would never be able to eat that much). personally, i wouldn't sacrifice fiber because of all the health benefits and the necessity of it for proper colon functioning. that is my opinion, tho.

wrestlemaniac
08-23-2005, 05:50 AM
well too much fiber can actually cause constipation if not enough water is consumed.

No. Fiber makes you regular. It makes sure you will not be constipated or have diarhea.

ReelBigFish
08-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Dude, do a search. Adding in too much fiber (esp. supplementing it) at one time, w/ out proper fluid intake can cause constipation.

djreef
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I say too much. Look you have to consider what types of fiber. Insoluble fiber just adds bulk - it doesn't help you too much in the toilet dept, it just more or less takes up space. Soluble fiber is something else. That's the fiber that soaks up oils and water. You get too much of that and your ass will look like the tube slide at the water park, in August. You should only be consuming 10 grams of soluble per day, even then that might be too much. If you're taking psyllium powder then back it down to two tablespoons. If it's unsweetened then back it down to one (unsweetened has a higher % soluble content than sweetened).
hope this helps.

DJ

malkore
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
source stating no more than 10g of soluble per day?

galileo
08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I have routinely taken in far more than that without issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

djreef
08-23-2005, 02:57 PM
The source would be my intestinal tract. I currently take 4-6 grams of soluble, plus whatever I get through my diet, and it cleans me out twice a day. I mean, if you want to take more, you can, but I can't even imagine why you would need to. Of course, if you have digestive issues, or don't mind spending all day in the crapper, then...

DJ

malkore
08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
(disclaimer: I"m not saying this diet/program is the best...)
When I was trying the BodyRX program, in the final cycle, you're munching 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight a day, and 45g of fiber.
If I didn't have that amount of fiber, I'd have been sh*tting bricks in the toilet.