PDA

View Full Version : Help with the new diet?

Shark
08-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Well it's been a while since i have asked anyone for help with a diet but I figured I would get all of you guys to chip in on this one since there are a lot of new people and hopefully that means more good advice.

The diet is attached as an excel spreadsheet.

Current stats:
Height: 6'2.5" (I like to claim 6'3")
Weight: ~230
BF: ~20%

Here's the catch. While on this diet, I will be only be lifting legs twice a week and nothing else. Perhaps some cardio or sports / regular physical activity but there will most likely be zero upper body lifting. It is possible that I will incorporate dead lifts in about a month or so but other then that no upper body. This is not negotiable and therefore I don't need to hear about lost muscle mass etc. I am injured and cannot work out upper body.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

-Chris

Built
08-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay, your protein and fats are sufficient.

You appear to prefer low-ish carbs, as do I.

What are your goals - I'm assuming maintenance while you heal your injury.

When do you train - between meals one and two? If so, might I suggest you consume your whey without the PB - have some carb with that meal instead, toss the peanut butter into your day someplace else.

Would you consider cycling your carbs - not sure if you have problems with fat gain. If you do, cycling your carbs and targeting them around your lifts might help you control your calories while your physical activities are curtailed.

Not sure if you're on a cycle at the moment so I'll stop here until I get more information.

What supps are you taking?

Shark
08-23-2005, 12:40 AM
No cycle. I do prefer low carbs. I would think of it more as a slow cut then maintenance as I may as well do something with my body while I can't lift. Gaining is really easy for me so losing a bit of muscle mass is not an issue for me. I train between meals one and two and would be more oppen to cycling but its just hard for me to do low carb for the better part of the day as I run into issues with what to eat.

I will be taking a multi for sure but I am not very consistent with anything else right now.

I could switch meals 2 and 3 and really that would be fairly close to carb cycling.

Built
08-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Okay.

I suggest you add creatine at least to your plan, also fish oil. I never go without them, and they're cheap.

The fish oil has many benefits, including the reduction of inflammation. I slip 'em in through the day. I take 10g a day and I weigh an astonishing 130 massive pounds. You may want more - I'd consider 10g to be a minimum.
You already know what creatine does. Take it as a daily dose in the AM empty, and / or post workout. 5g ought to do it, maybe slightly more? You know your body.

Ditch the olive oil for meal one, and the PB for post workout. Keep the carbs in your breakfast, maybe have a second english muffin or some oats in your post workout shake with your creatine.

Add the fats into the rest of your day. I'd suggest half an avocado in a salad, maybe some nuts in your cottage cheese.

No need to go keto levels of carbs - just avoid the starchy ones for non-lifting days, maybe go a little higher in the fats on those days to help with appetite control.

Your thoughts?

HILL
08-23-2005, 10:25 AM
just out of curiousity what are your maintanence cals as i way the same as you and cutting on much more. still tweaking diet tho so may need to adjust after this week.

Shark
08-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I thought about adding creatine when I was making up the diet but I couldn't see a huge need for it as i'm reducing my activity level greatly. What would be your reason for including it. Fish oil is not a bad idea, its just a pain some time to take them all throughout the day. I should probably just suck it up and do it though.

I can ditch the olive oil for meal 1 pretty easily and I can drop the peanut butter but I really do enjoy it in the protein shake. I could also add another night time shake and put the peanut butter in there. Just to clarify it is natty PB so its not like i'm sucking down Skippy here or anything.

That being said, I would add some 1 minute natural oats to my pwo shake and drop the olive oil from breakfast. The PB would go to a night time shake and the fats would come from some roasted unsalted cashews with the cottage cheese.

This would really be my lifting day diet and the main difference between this and non-lifting would be the pwo shake. I probably would end up dropping it on non-lifting and non-cardio days.

I'll make some changes and post the diet back up on the first thread.

My problem with this now would be the carbs look a little high because i left the sandwich in there and added the oats.

Shark
08-23-2005, 10:50 AM
My maintenance is probably around the 3000 mark but because my activity level has dropped so much I want to eat below that.

I'm also thinking more along the lines of a legitimate cut now.

Built
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
There's evidence that creatine can prevent sarcopenia, at least in older athletes. I'd call it cheap (possible) insurance against muscle wasting that won't hurt you, and that may have other benefits.

I assumed it was natty PB - I just like to keep my workout meals lower fat to avoid slowing down the insulin response when I actually WANT it. Have it later in the day in a shake if you like. The rest of your proposed diet tweaks sound like ones I'd do.

Good luck.

Edited to add: don't go too low on the calories while trying to heal an injury, okay? And you might consider adding in a couple grams each of MSM and glucosamine to your supplement regime - to help reduce inflammation.

Shark
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
yeah, I was just thinking about adding that or maybe even some ETS. You don't think keeping the sandwich at lunch time would be more carbs that I don't need and at a time that i don't need them?

Manveet
08-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Enough protein, carbs and fats.

Calorie level seems reasonable as well considering your maintenance level.

When it comes to cutting, slow and steady always does the trick.

Built
08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
yeah, I was just thinking about adding that or maybe even some ETS. You don't think keeping the sandwich at lunch time would be more carbs that I don't need and at a time that i don't need them?

If they make you hungry, ditch 'em. If they don't, it doesn't matter.

Shark
08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Haha, everything makes me hungry! I sort of feel like since i'm only lifting twice a week I don't need as much carb energy but at the same time I love my sandwiches! Kind of a toss up. I don't think it would really hinder weight loss that much though.

Severed Ties
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM

IMO ETS is the best supplement on the planet for joint pain/inflammation and I'm not even remotely jokeing.

As far as the diet goes only thing I'd get rid of is the Mayo just about any other far source would be a better choice.

On meal 2 when you say instant oats is that the quaker rolled oats that you can cook in the microwave or the packets of oats that are loaded with sugar?

Ry

Shark
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
They're 100% oats from Trader Joes that I think are like 5 minutes to cook. No added sugar or other crap.

What's so bad about mayo? I used to put cheese on the sandwiches but switched to mayo because it has less saturated fat at 1.5/10 grams per serving.

ryuage
08-24-2005, 10:23 AM
dunno as long as it fits in I dont see a problem but there are better sources of fat try this courtesy of jodi from ironmag

EFA Mayo
1 Egg
1 tsp Red wine vinegar
2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp (or less) salt
1/4 c Olive oil
1/2 c Flax Oil
1/4 c Safflower oil (may need more or less)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor, whirl. With machine running, add Flax Oil 1 Tablespoon at a time, then add the Safflower Oil 1 Tablespoon at at time, til thick and creamy. Try not to go too fast adding it and it won't be as thick as regular mayo until its refridgerated. Scoop out and put in fridge.

Shark
08-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Hmm, maybe i'll have to give that a try. I really am addicted to the mayo.

Shark
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
ANother question. I'm new to this whole, putting oats in the shake thing. Are you guys cooking them at all, or do you just throw the raw oats into the shaker cup?

HILL
08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
i grind oats into a powder in a blender then add other ingrediants into blender and blend.

Anthony
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I usually dry blend the oats into a fine powder (takes 1-2 minutes with large flake oats) and then add that to shakes. Can't even tell they are in it.

Severed Ties
08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I usually just throw the oats, ice, and protein powder into the blender and blend it on high for 2 minutes...never tried cooking them first but might work to make a thick shake.

ST

Built
08-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Haha, everything makes me hungry! I sort of feel like since i'm only lifting twice a week I don't need as much carb energy but at the same time I love my sandwiches! Kind of a toss up. I don't think it would really hinder weight loss that much though.

They won't hinder weight loss at all, if your cals are in check. But for me at least, bread makes me freaking HUNGRY.