PDA

View Full Version : Bulk or Keep cutting?

harv
08-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Been cutting for a while...don't quite have the abs I'm after yet, but I'm thinking I need to bulk to get my pathetically undersized pecs to grow.
Opinions?
Any guesses on bf %?

Shark
08-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Damn, that's a serious lat spread. Your chest is underdeveloped but you look really good! I would say cut a bit more if you want then bulk and focus on some heavey chest lifting.

Built
08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
I concur.

DAMN! That BACK!!!

You look GREAT. Bring that chest up a bit and you'll be unstoppable - it already looks great, really nice shape.

getfit
08-24-2005, 02:48 AM
that lat spread just blew my mind away!

great job Harv!

Mik
08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Holy crap that's one wiiiiiiiiide back!!!!!!

harv
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Chris - thanks man. "undeveloped" is a very kind way to describe my chest. Funny thing is I've been lifting heavy w/chest and seeing progress on my lift weights but the damn thing won't grow. I will keep at it though!

Built - thank you, I'm not that...
*looks at builtís avatar*
... um... uh...I'm sorry what were we talking about?...I COMPLETELY lost my train of thought for some reason (to say that you look amazing would be an understatement by the way ;))...OK, back on topic, I'm not very consistent on hitting legs and back but fortunately they grow quickly.

GF - thank you...very kind words (coincidentally the same reaction I had when I first saw your avatar ;) )

Mik - thanks man!

Anthony
08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Looking huge and lean ... keep bulking!

TwiloMike
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Looking solid, man. The lat spread is definitely breath taking. When doing chest work you may be compensating with your OMGSUPERHYUUUGELATS, but I'm sure you're mindful of that.

harv
08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Anthony!

Twilomike - thank you and good point...perhaps that's why I can flat bench so much more than I can incline.

So, any estimates on bodyfat % 12%??

Forgot to show the wheelz...

Chiznarles
08-24-2005, 09:39 AM
i would say when you do flat bench, focus on bringing the bar high on your chest, over your clavicle and keep your elbows straight out instead of tucked in.. do this for incline bench also to help try to add size to your chest. don't do decline as much since those also work your lats..

Mik
08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Wheels look good harv. I'm not the best estimator but I would think <12%

MM
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
****, I was going to post some pictures today but that's a tough act to follow. :D

You look great man. Wheels and back a strong point; chest lagging, but many of us have THAT problem. I'd say you're around 12%, maybe less.

500squat
08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Damn..........your thick man.....keep it up! Great work

MM
08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Harv, are you really only 200lbs in these pictures?

harv
08-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Harv, are you really only 200lbs in these pictures?
Yeah - I'm only 5-10...weight fluctuates between 200-203

500squat...thanks. I have a ways to go before my quads catch yours!

Chiz...good advice, thanks.

getfit
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
excellent work harv! :)

IdaMAN
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Damn, you could take flight with those lats! Awesome spread!

Brandon
08-24-2005, 06:36 PM
harv, you're looking very lean despite what you may think. I know I think I should have razor sharp abs but really you have to eat to grow and you're doing great so far. Bulk bulk bulk!

harv
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Ida/Brandon...thanks fellas...much appreciated!

Canadian Crippler
08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
That is one massive freaking back. Damn, lol.

Stackattack
08-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Insane back! Great job harv.

twisteddendrite
08-25-2005, 09:41 AM
You look good, I would say bulk and don't rely on just heavy bench for you pecs, try heavy pullovers,declined fly's and weighted dips.

ElPietro
08-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Bulk man bulk!

Great work so far!

If you are concerned with your chest you could add some more isolation work, and perhaps training everything twice per week if you aren't might help.

I recommend Taco Bell as a bulking medium.

harv
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Crip / Stack - thanks guys!

ElPietro/twist: Thanks. Currently my chest workout consists of 4 sets heavy BB bench, 4 sets incline DB press, 3-4 sets flys (or fly machine). That's higher volume than my other workouts because it's so far behind everything else. Thoughts?
2 workouts / week could help but I doubt I could make that work.
Taco Bell? lol...thanks. Any specific recommendations? 7 layers and chalupas are my fav.

ElPietro
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Bah, 7 layers are for noobs! 7 fookin layers, and guess how many layers are meat? ZILCH! Get yourself a chicken burrito surpeme and never look back!

If you can't work things dedicated twice per week, you could always tack on some chest work to another workout, and other bodyparts on other days, etc. Or have one day where you just do less volume but almost like a full body to hit things twice. Just some thoughts, I know it's hard to be at the gym all the time.

Brotherofiron
08-25-2005, 11:23 AM
wow man i would deff. bulk if i was you....
awesome job man at buildin such a solid frame!! your back is huuuuuge!!!
where do you buy shirts??!!hahahaha

latinomasfino
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
very impressive man
seems to me like u have very thick wide sides which ion probably wont help u wiht ur v shape yes a bit more concentration on the chest will help u out a lot other than that u look good man

BCC
08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with your chest or any part of you.

You're at a point where cutting or bulking will finely suit you. If you feel you have the mass you want, you will only look better as you continue to cut. This especially goes for your chest. With your build you would look sick as hell in the 185-190 range.

twisteddendrite
08-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Try working pecs in a downward motion~decline fly's ~dips. Incline seems to hit delts harder. But I agree with chase you look fine.

harv
08-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Bah, 7 layers are for noobs! 7 fookin layers, and guess how many layers are meat? ZILCH!
Hey dems fightin' words...careful or I'll sick Sylvia on your ass :)

Brotherofiron/latinomasfino: thanks for the comments guys

Thanks for the feedback Chase and good advice.

lilmase1153
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
ok harv just went over teh pics bro and i gotta start first by saying youve got a great build going on bro.

your back is very wide. your chest although not looking as huge as your back is still in good shape.(also great power from what ive read) i say keep bulking but taht all depends on what you want out of your body.

elp said it best taco bell is great for bulking. but i go for double decker tacos $1 each and if you get 4-6 of them i can guarantee youll be full.

Patz
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Harv, your back is so wide, I had to hook up a second monitor to view the pic!

I don't see lag in the chest. I think you're doing a crapload of sets, though.

Maybe just switch to dumbells?

Are you natural?

harv
08-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Mase - thanks bro. I'll have to try the $1 tacos lol

Mrelwood - LMAO...thanks. Yes I'm Natty. First time I've been asked that question *fist pump*

Patz
08-27-2005, 12:00 AM

Mrelwood - LMAO...thanks. Yes I'm Natty. First time I've been asked that question *fist pump*

heh..I expected a "no." Excellent work, man!

Gabrielle
08-27-2005, 09:23 AM
it looks like you hold more water in your upper body compared to your lower body. I don't think your chest looks underdeveloped. You look to be about 12% or so. You would look pretty damn good between 5-10 % if you can get that low. I used to bulk up really heavy, but nowadays I like staying lean. It is all up to personal preference. By the way nice back

spencerjrus
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM

I gotta say, you have one of the most impressive natural backs I have ever seen.

harv
09-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Spence: Wow, that's quite a compliment - thank you. My lats just grow easily, I'm trying to get the traps to catch up!

body
09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
back and legs looking good.
Though your worst body part in terms of size is your strongest for strenght.

I go for bulk and diet next summer. but thats me.

harv
09-27-2005, 01:50 PM
back and legs looking good.
Thanks!

Though your worst body part in terms of size is your strongest for strength.
I know...go figure??? Any my best body part in terms of size (back) isn't very strong... :scratch:

I go for bulk and diet next summer. but that's me.
Yeah, I continued to cut for a while after posting these pics (mainly due to Chase's comments) but got sick of my stagnant lift weights so I started bulking a couple weeks ago.