PDA

View Full Version : Once I start losing water/glycogen weight, am I below maintenance?

SpecialK
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but cutting is brand new to me. I was at 4200 cals last July and have reduced my daily intake by 200 each week since, and am now down to 3400/day. This week I lost 4 lbs in the past 3 days and can only assume this is water/glycogen weight I have lost, since I don't think it is possible to lose that much fat in that short of a time, and because I have been making such small reductions in calories I doubt it is muscle loss either.

Anyway, I have been cutting cals by 200 on the Thursday of each week, and my question is, should I drop down to 3200 this week, or give 3400 another week and see what happens? Once I start losing water/glycogen weight, am I below maintenance? The sudden 4 lb weight drop has me worried and I don't want to cut too fast and ruin it.

EDIT: I was 6', 219, ~12% bf right when I started cutting.

Junin
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
From my experience, you really don't need to worry about cutting too fast. 3400 calories is more than triple what I ate on my cut and I lost very little strength/muscle mass.

Jorge Sanchez
08-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I can temporarily lose that amount of weight on a bulk. I'm sure it's just a result of fluctuation of water weight or the amount of food in your stomach. But you will eventually have to stop lowering your calories, obviously.

ElPietro
08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
This will happen when you decrease carb intake, and train intensely or increase your cardio. It doesn't necessarily mean you are below.

It can go on for a few days where you get rapid weight loss, then it will level out, then it will probably stagnate for a week or so and then the slow and steady weight loss can start occuring. Or at least that's how it works for me and some others I've spoken too.

SpecialK
09-16-2005, 09:49 AM
OK its been a few weeks and I'm still getting these sudden 2 lb drops. I was at 209.5 for the last 8 days then the last 2 mornings I have woken up at 207. I started this cut at 220 lbs. - is it really possible for me to lose this much water? I might have lost some of my lower back fat, as my pants seem to be fitting a bit looser (they sit below my waist), but not a lot. I am now down to 3200 cals per day. How much water can someone lose? I look more vascular now so I know something is going on, but when will the fat loss start?

ZDrax
09-19-2005, 02:51 AM
No. You're not only losing water. After the first few days most of your water weight disappears. Try to keep that KCAL intake as high as possible, and don't lower it until absolutely necessary. The poster who said you can't "cut too fast" is wrong! If you do cut too fast, you simply end up a smaller version of yourself, fat and all. Good work on dropping it by 200 KCAL a week. Remember, as you decrease KCAL, you'll be consuming less carbohydrates, which combined with a high intake, are protein sparing, so you may need to up your PRO intake, esp. if you're sitting at that high of a bodyweight with that low of a bodyfat.

SpecialK
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
OK, here has been my experience with my cut so far:

WEEK CALS AVG WEIGHT
1 4000 220
2 3800 219
3 3600 218
4 3400 214
5 3400 211
6 3400 209.5
7 3200 207
8 3200 205

Today is the first day of what I am calling "week 8", so I'll have to see what my weight does in the upcoming days, but what is going on here, really? It's like I wasn't losing anything until I hit 3400, now its dropping at a rate of 2.5 lbs/week! It can't all be fat, because that would be a 7k cal deficit per week, which is impossible. Some of it had to be water weight, and I am noticeably more vascular now, and maybe some was muscle, but I don't think much of it was. I seem to have lost a little of the low back fat, but all of the stomach fat is still there, unfortunately. Can I still be losing water? Why is my weight holding constant for a week, then I suddenly see a 2.5 lb drop, and then that weight holds?

I am training with low volume, heavy weight, with basic compound movements, getting 1.5 gm protein/lb bodyweight, drinking 1+ gal water/day, etc. I'm also taking 25mg E/200mg C 3x per day. Can any of you cutting experts explain my sudden weight loss when I don't seem to be in that big of a deficit?