PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not losing?

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi, perhaps you guys/gals can help me. I've been trying to cut for the last six weeks, and have had no results. Here is my stats from week 1 - week 6:

Wk1: 140.6lbs 13.5%bf 2600cals/day
Wk2: 139.6 13.5%bf 2600cals/day so I ended up losing 1 lb! thought I found cals necessary to cut BUT...
Wk3: 139 13.5%bf 2500 cals
Wk4: 139.6 13%bf 2300 cals so, I gain .6 of a pound and lose .5 bodyfat...nice..but
Wk5: 139 13%bf 2100cals
Wk6:139.4 14%bf _____ cals how did I gain a percent of bodyfat! what should I fill in the blank with, 2000 maybe 1900 cals? Dam thats low! But as you see, I am making NO progress. Since week one, ive GAINED .5% bodyfat and lost a measly pound, although I have dropped 500 cals since week one. My diet is pretty intact, VERY CLEAN, if it is needed I'll post a sample diet. Also, training intact, 3x a week, weights, and I dropped cardio because people on these boards said cardio is not the way to go to drop weight (I have a feeling it was a HUGE mistake to drop cardio, and my stats are saying so as well.) Sorry to bore anyone, any help is appreciated I love you all

sharkall2003
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Well most of the people say drop cardio (correct me if I am wrong) becasue it has a catabolic effect on your muscles. An effective weightloss program would have a cardiovascular program worked in with a caloric restriction.

SpecialK
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
What are your stats - height, weight, bf%?

What are you measuring your bf% with? Unless it's a DEXA machine or underwater weighing, I wouldn't attribute that "increase" to anything more than the inaccuracy of the instrument being used.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day and under the same conditions - i.e. clothes worn, hydration level, etc?

How many calories were you eating prior to week 1? Were you consistently eating that amount in the weeks prior to your cut? If you were, for example, eating 4500 calories the week before week 1, then suddenly cut down to 2600, your body could be in starvation mode, which will hinder fat loss.

If you don't find any issues with the topics I brought up above, I say just keep doing what you are doing. The issues I mentioned above are based on what I have read in other posts here when people asked similar questions. Make gradual reductions and see what happens. Assuming you aren't in starvation mode, your body only requires so many calories before it must start using internal energy sources.

Shark
08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Without knowing more I would say that you're probably not eating enough. What does your diet look like. Calories are important but where they come from is also very important.

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
special k - I use a tanita bodyfat scale, and yes under same conditions each time. I have no idea how many cals I was eating prior to week 1, because it was Arizona's fireseason and I was doing wildland firefighting and trail building for about a month, and they fed me and I had no means of anyway to figure out the cals I was getting. Once fire season ended, I came home and started my cut @ 2600. Maybe I was in starvation mode, being that we work anywhere from 10 to 17 hour workdays, physical labor in the Arizona sun.

Chris - I am eating more than enough according to my weight staying the same after 6 weeks. Heres typical marco diet:
Meal 1: 2 whole eggs, 1 eggwhite, cilantro, onion and greenpepper in the eggs, 1 bread (sprouted grain) 81grams oats. f-15.5 c-57 p-33

Meal 2: 8oz ground turkey, 84g wheat pasta, .5cup tomatosauce, added some garlic, red peppers, cilantro f17 c66 p50

Meal 3: 5oz salmon 126g lima beans added broccoli and tomatoes f-10 c-19 p-30

Meal 4: 2 tbsp flax, 1.5 scoop whey (GNC), 1 cup soymilk, 5 fish oils f-15.5 c-7 p-39

meal 5: 4oz tuna, 5 ritz, 2oz avo added cilantro and onion and greenpepper f-11 c-10 p-27

bedtime: 1tbsp almondbutter, 3hardboiled eggs(whole) f-22 c-4.5 p-20.5

RickTheDestroyer
08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Once fire season ended, I came home and started my cut @ 2600. Maybe I was in starvation mode, being that we work anywhere from 10 to 17 hour workdays, physical labor in the Arizona sun.

Might not be a terrible idea to chillax at maintenance for 2 weeks and then try cutting again.
I don't know how tall you are, but at 140ish, I'd be bulking like crazy if I were you...

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm not showing any symptoms of starvation mode, no colds/coughs, not tired, not irritable, appetite NEVER a problem, not storing bodyfat, I just feel great. Ya denim, if I had ambitions of being a bodybuilder I would bulk, but I don't, nor do I ever care to be in any sort of competitions/shows, I train for myself, not for show, and I don't feel I have to be big. I'm one of the rare that do it for their health rather than looks.

Shark
08-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Haha, come on man, if you didn't care about looks then you would not be cutting.

I would take a week or two off and start back in at around the 2500 mark. You were doing a lot of physical activity and eating a lot and then all of a sudden you dropped your cals. I would guess your body is just reacting naturally and holding on to the weight. Your diet looks good though. Really good carb levels throughout the day tapering off.

malkore
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
FYI, Tanita scales are less accurate than calipers due to the great severity of skewing due to hydration levels. Its really just a rough bodyfat %. I've had my Tanita change 4% in a 24 hour period.

Built
08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Tanita will tell you you're fatter when you're depleted, too, since it measures the amount of resistance in your body based on its water content.

They suck. Ignore for all but your weight.

Now, at your height and weight, you are LEAN. Your body is fighting you. When I've had this happen, I've taken a diet vacation for a week or two, then gotten back to it. You might need to do the same.

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Really built and malkore?! Tanita is that horrible? DOH! I do FEEL much leaner, maybe my weight is the same and my bf is dropping, just got a horrible scale. Either way, I think I will take 2 weeks off of training, and increase my cals slowly in those 2 weeks back up to 25-2600. That way I can KNOW my body isn't starving and start fresh. No training for 2 weeks...this is gonna be so depressing.

Built
08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't stop training - in fact, I'd train heavier with all that extra food.

Not heavier cardio - just heavier lifting.

How much cardio do you do now? What were you doing before you scaled it back?

And why do you think being 140 at your height means you're focussing on your health rather than your appearance, out of curiosity?

Shark
08-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Agreed, don't stop lifting. Lift heavy!

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 03:21 PM
HaHa you two put a huge smile on my face telling me I should still lift. I was only doing cardio twice a week built, for 1 hour approx. Now zero cardio, and cardio is my GAME it's my joy and I miss it so much. The whole health thing, I meant mainly cus I once tried to bulk a while back, and I started experiencing stuff I've never experienced in my life such as shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, and even heartburn/chestpains from all the extra eating. Thats when I decided this is rediculous, I want to GET healthy, not kill myself trying to gain weight to look good.

Shark
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Bulking is not unhealthy man! If you stick to a meal plan like the one you have now and up the cals and keep lifting heavy you will gain quality muscle mass. All those symptoms that you describe are not related to eating more. Heartburn could be casued by what you were eating but really, those are not side effects of bulking. I think maybe you're opinion of bulking has been soured and it does not need to be. Bulking is wonderfull!

AzBboy
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Well chris, you are deffinitely right about some stuff, my diet wasn't half as clean back then as now. Maybe I will bulk! Thanks for all your help everyone you are the bombbbb!

Built
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
A nice, slow bulk is awesome - you feel great, you feel STRONG - and there's no reason to ditch the cardio entirely - just scale it back. Maybe try 15 minutes of fast incline walking or some similarly moderate cardio after 2-3 of your lifting workouts. You can do this all through your bulk if you like.

As far as the calories are concerned - just increase your daily cals by an extra couple hundred for a few weeks, then another hundred or two ... if you go nice and slow like this, you WON'T pack on huge slabs of muscle in a hurry, but you won't gain a lot of fat, either, and you'll have great workouts!

Nosaj
08-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Good luck on your bulk, it's been a personal challenge for me to eat a LOT of CLEAN food, but I know you can do it! =]

AzBboy
08-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Thank you all for your help , tips, and motivation. I have no idea where I'd be w/o even a single one of you.