PDA

View Full Version : Deterimining Max

threatmix
08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm going to be starting a strength-training regimine next week, but I'm not sure what my maxes are for bench, deadlift, or squat, and I'd like to find out before I start my routine. Would it be a bad idea to try and figure them all out in one workout? Should I spread them out over several days instead? Also, any general tips on determining your max for these exercises?

WBBIRL
08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
You can test all three in the same day, just give yourself about 5-10 min in between each lift. Remember to warm up also, thats going to be hard this first time since you have no idea what your capable of. My advice is to take whatever you think you can hit now for a 1RM and lower it by 50%... do a set of 6-10 reps with that weight before you try to max out. I would suggest you do that for all 3 lifts, and have someone around who can spot you for your own safety.

More over my personal advice on the whole subject is... dont worry about maxing right now. If you have never lifted before dont even care about your #'s for the first few months. Learn good technique for every lift you plan on doing, and if no one can help you where you live then you can always ask here. It may be hard to explain things like this on a message board, but there are also videos out there to help.

Gutz981
08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
He most likly is going to try a routine that calls for knowing his 1RM. heres what I would do: Go test them 1 at a time...You got time, no need to rush these things...The iron aint going no where anytime soon.