PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as over-hydrating?

rmani
08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I've always been under the impression that you can drink as much water as you want. Anything that's excess your body will naturally dispell. So I'm talking with one of the guys at work (old man, very know-it-all-ish), and he says most people drink too much water, and that usually a greater danger is drinking too much rather than not enough.

This just seemed completely contrary to everything I've heard and read, but I just sat there and listened without saying much.

So does anyone have input on this? :)

Minotaur
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
It's called hyponatremia (low salt), or water intoxication. But it usually only afflicts endurance athletes (cyclists, marathoners, ultra marathoners) that drink too much water during the event. It can cause an electrolyte imbalance.

rmani
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
interesting thanks for the info. There have been times I'm at the gym and I've really loaded up on the water. I mean I've had to go to the bathroom 4-5 times within the next 2 hours following. Is this an early warning sign that I'm drinking too much?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
How much are you drinking in an hour?

rmani
08-26-2005, 01:28 PM
hmm just did a google search and I think I'm ok. hyponatremia is mainly a problem for infants and the elderly who cannot regulate how much they drink.

I'd say within an hour I probably down half a gallon of water, maybe more.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-26-2005, 01:31 PM
No that's not a problem for infants and the elderly. It can be a problem for anyone. You're not supposed to drink more than 1-2 gallons in an hour, because it can cause a severe electrolyte imbalance...and in extreme cases possibly even death. Most people in here...even the HUYOOGE guys drink 1.5-2 gallons a day. You're almost drinking that in an hour. Think about it.

Slim Schaedle
08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Shortly before I entered basic training a trainee (from Cincinnati/my cousin's friend)died from overhydration on a ?-mile march

At least that was the claim(coverup). We were told to drink 1 quart/hour, and somehow he exceeded that. Even though it was literally impossible to refill canteens that often.

But this circumstance aside, yes it can happen. Not sure what amount is considered dangerous though.

zimbo
08-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, hyponatremia occurs primarily when an endurance athlete has sweat out a LOT of salt water and replaced it with unsalted water to the point that they don't have enough electrolytes. It's hard to do.

--Steve

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-26-2005, 08:00 PM
No, drinking an overabundance of water in a short period of time will cause an electrolyte imbalance. It doesn't ONLY happen to endurance athletes. Drinking let's say 1-2 gallons in an hour dilutes the sodium in your body, which is what causes the imbalance. After running or weightlifing, water by itself is not enough. You have to eat or drink something with the water to replenish the electrolytes lost during these activities. You can still get water intoxication from doing absolutely nothing. Water intake needs to be spread throughout the day, not binging all at once. However, like you said, drinking too much water, combined with sweating out salts and the water diluting the salts even more can lead to this issue. It is very common with marathon runners/cyclers.

Haaji Dont Surf
08-26-2005, 11:01 PM
It's called hyponatremia (low salt), or water intoxication. But it usually only afflicts endurance athletes (cyclists, marathoners, ultra marathoners) that drink too much water during the event. It can cause an electrolyte imbalance.
There was a story a few years back where a college kid died because he drank too much water in too little amount of time to get into some frat.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, he was trying to become part of the frat and had to drink something like 1 or 2 gallons of water in a VERY short period of time. Stupid people are dangerous.

Shao-LiN
08-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah, he was trying to become part of the frat and had to drink something like 1 or 2 gallons of water in a VERY short period of time. Stupid people are dangerous.

We live in a very dangerous world.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-27-2005, 08:01 PM
We live in a very dangerous world.That we do. :/

jed
08-27-2005, 10:00 PM
lol if u think pissing 4 times in 2 hours is possible life threatening then i must be dead. when i was climbing up baldy i pissed NINE times in 3 hours... they were nice long ones too. i also didnt seem to be sweating that much but maybe i was just delerious from the high altitude and being in the mountains for (just) 5 days.

tigo
08-30-2005, 11:45 PM
i believe that was at chico... they made the kid drink water all night cuz he didnt want to drink alcohol, died from electrolyte difficiency... to think a bottle of gatorade woulda saved his life

BG5150
08-31-2005, 12:14 AM
Drinking lots of water without doing anything bound to cause problems.

If you are engaged in an activity that will use up a lot of water, then, naturally, you can drink more water.

I used to play a lot of beach volleyball...many times it was in 90 degree weather and high humidity. I had to drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated. I would drink at least two gallons of water between 8 AM and 5 PM (that's if we made the playoffs).

The point is: drink enough to replenish what you use.

And common sense leads to not drinking tons of water while you are sitting around just to get your "quota".

Jeezus, you hear these horror stories of people getting sick or dying because they ingested too much water...well, duh, they over did it.

It kills me (no pun intended) when people obviously overdo things and adverse consequences result....

Put it this way: if you think you are getting too much water, then cut back.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-31-2005, 02:35 AM
^^^^^

Too much of anything can be bad.

rmani
08-31-2005, 08:35 AM
^^^^^

Too much of anything can be bad.

too much sex is never bad. :)