PDA

View Full Version : jme's journal

kad
08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome to my training journal. Any comments and suggestions are welcome, of course.

Current status: bulking

Supplements (updated 10-30-05)
2x AST MultiPro 32x
5g AST Creatine Monohydrate
3g AST GABA
ON 100% whey (post workouts)
2x Kent Nutrition ALA
6x Thermocin (3x twice daily)
2000mg Vitamin C
800IU Vitamin E
2x Vitamin B complex

Training (updated 10-30-05)
Max-OT style lifting, 4-day split now.

Day 1: legs, abs
Day 2: chest, triceps
Day 3: HIIT sprints
Day 4: back, biceps
Day 5: delts, traps
Day 6: HIIT sprints
Day 7: off

kad
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I decided not to include this week's workouts, because classes just started on Monday and I'm getting used to my schedule and trying to figure out when I'm going to be lifting and doing cardio from here on out, etc. Workout logs will be posted starting next week.

kad
09-05-2005, 10:04 AM
We have today off for Labor Day, so the gym on campus is closed as well. I'll be lifting on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday mornings, and running every evening, of course keeping the two at least 8 hours apart. Nutrition is pretty spot on. Here's today's meal plan.

(2 mile run)
meal 1: 1 banana, 8oz skim milk, 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 1/2 cup (dry) oats
meal 2: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
meal 3: 6oz tuna, 1oz almonds, 4 fish oil caps
meal 4: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups stir fry vegetables, 4 fish oil caps
meal 5: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups salad mix, 1T olive oil, 4 fish oil caps
meal 6: 8oz skim milk, 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 2T natty pb, 4 fish oil caps

2341 kcal, 79.5g fat, 151g carbs, 255.5g protein (30.56% fat, 25.80% carbs, 43.65% protein)

That's just a basic example of what I eat. I'm not posting meals every day, because it's boring and nobody cares about what I eat or how much I eat around here, just how much I'm lifting. I'll get on with that tomorrow. Just for reference, this is the basic meal plan I'm following for lifting days.

meal 1: 8oz skim milk, 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 1/2 cup (dry) oats
(workout)
meal 2: 40g dextrose, 1.5 scoops ON 100% whey (pwo)
meal 3: 8oz chicken breast, baked potato, 2 cups vegetable mix
meal 4: 6oz tuna, 1oz almonds, 4 fish oil caps
meal 5: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups salad mix, 1T olive oil, 8 fish oil caps
(running)
meal 6: 1 banana (post run)
meal 7: 8oz skim milk, 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 2T natty pb, 8 fish oil caps

2412 kcal, 80g fat, 177.5g carbs, 245.5g protein

edit: the above doesn't apply anymore since i've increased my calories for bulking.

ryuage
09-05-2005, 11:25 AM
so are you bulking or cutting?

kad
09-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Kind of nervous about posting these, but here's some pics. Yes they suck. What do you think? Cut or bulk?

edit: uploaded images as attachments instead.
edit 2: pics are attached at top of thread now.

Kiaran
09-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself, bud. Those picks don't scuk, and most people are too afraid to post anything at all for feedback. As far as what you should be doing (bulking or cutting), well, that is entirely up to you. if you want more mass, then bulk, and if you want to slim down, then cut. you mentioned you were at about 15% bf, which i don't think is too high to be bulking but some of these other guys here may have more to say on that. As far as the pics go, you appear to have a great frame to bulid onto, so just go for it man! BTW, do you have legs? there was no photo of them...

kad
09-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Kiaran - thanks for the response and the vote of confidence. I do in fact have decent legs, imo. I just didn't post pics of them. Last time I checked, my calves were ~15-15.5" and my quads were ~22".

I'm going to bulk, then cut. Since I'm 181 lbs, and around 15% bf, that puts me at about 152-154 lbs lbm. Since my goal is 185 lbs and 8% bf, my lbm would need to be around 170 lbs (duh). Anyway, I'd love to pack on about 20 lbs of muscle and then cut. I know it's possible to lose bf as you gain lbm at the same time, but whatever. I'll do some reorganizing with my meal plan and start posting workouts tomorrow.

kad
09-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Chest/Triceps
bb flat bench:
65x12x2 (warmup), 95x8 (warmup), 135x3 (acclimation)
155x6x2
165x4

bb incline bench:
95x6 (acclimation)
135x6
155x3 (failure)
145x4

bb decline bench:
95x3 (acclimation)
135x6
155x4

skull crushers (using curl bar):
75x5x2

cable pushdowns:
170x4x2 (entire rack)

Notes
- pretty strong workout in general.
- start with higher weight on incline/decline bench next week.
- don't use curl bar for skull crushers. form sucked.

kad
09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Cardio
16 minutes HIIT stationary bike (Max-OT style, hill interval setting)
- 3 mins @ level 6, 10 @ level 7, 3 @ level 8
- 180 cals, 6.6 miles

Notes
- start at a higher resistance level on the bike next time.
- today's diet went to crap. i ran out of whey yesterday, so i had to save the last two scoops for tomorrow's pwo shake. i also ran out of egg whites, and didn't have enough chicken cooked for this evening. i need to get my butt in gear and keep food stocked.
- forgot to post monday's cardio session... i went for a 2 mile run around the track monday evening.

kad
09-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Weight: 180.5

Back/Biceps/Forearms
Chinups:
BWx5
BWx4
BWx3

Deadlifts:
135x10 (warmup)
135x10 (warmup)
185x3 (acclimation)
245x6
275x5
275x5

Bent over rows:
115x6 (acclimation)
135x4
135x5

Shrugs:
70's x 10
85's x 10

Curl bar curls:
45x10 (warmup)
75x5
65x5

Hammer curls:
35's x 4
30's x 4

Notes
- really good workout. had the strongest working sets of deadlifts i've ever had.
- work on bent over row form.
- get back on track with diet today.

kad
09-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Weight: 180.5

Cardio
HIIT sprints - total time 14:48

I decided to change things up and do sprints at the track this evening. I jogged a warmup lap and sprinted the straightaways seven times. I slowed to a jog around the curves after the first 4 or 5 sprints, then for the last few I just walked the curves. I'm going to work my way up to 25-30 minutes total, keeping the pace at a jog instead of a walk in between sprints.

kad
09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Weight: 181

Legs/Shoulders
Squats:
95x12 (warmup)
135x10 (warmup)
155x3 (acclimation)
185x6
[insert talk with former strength coach about proper form]
[work on proper form using bar only]

Leg Curls: (short rests)
155x5x5

Leg Extensions: (short rests)
155x5x5

Smith Squats (to work on form):
1ppsx10 (warmup)
2ppsx2 (acclimation)
1pps+50x6
1pps+50x6

45deg Leg Press:
2ppsx8 (warmup)
2pps+50x6
2pps+50x6

Standing Calf Raises:
255x8 (warmup)
315x6
315x6

Side Lateral Raises:
15'sx10 (warmup)
20'sx6
20'sx6

Seated Military Press:
45x12 (warmup)
65x10 (warmup)
95x6
115x4

Notes
I had an interesting talk with one of the regulars that works out at the gym, who happened to be a former strength coach with 35 years of experience, about squat form today during my workout. He noticed my form was a little off, so I took his advice and worked on my form for a little while. He suggested I try to keep my lower legs as straight up and down as possible, sticking my chest out as far as I can on the way down to keep the balance. All I was worried about before now was keeping my back arched. He said it takes some of the stress off your knees and ankles, and he's seen lots of people improve their strength by doing them this way. I'm pretty sure that once I correct my squat form I'll see more of an improvement. I was impressed that I jumped up another 20 lbs this week in my deadlift heavy sets. I'll add SLDL's back in my leg workout next week. I'm also thinking about having a separate day for shoulders and traps, because I was in the gym for almost 30 minutes longer than normal today since I combined shoulders and legs (which I don't normally do).

Overall, this week's workouts were pretty strong. My shoulder strength is improving, even with my left shoulder giving me a little bit of pain. I'm just going to take ibuprofin and rub some Icy Hot on it until it works itself out.

kad
09-12-2005, 08:19 PM
This weekend I was thinking about my goals, and I decided to finish what I originally started - cut down to 9% body fat. Starting this week I'm eating just below maintenance at 2800 cals a day. For right now I'm simply increasing my activity level rather than dropping my calories really low all of a sudden. I may drop them by 100-200 cals a week later on if I stop making any progress. I'm moving up to 5 days a week of morning fasted cardio. I'm lifting in the afternoons on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and I'm also playing flag football for my BCM intramural football team (it usually lasts about 3 weeks), so we have practice maybe 2-3 times a week and games twice a week, usually late at night. Our first game is tomorrow night at 11pm. Anyway, here's today's workout:

Cardio - 6:30 am
Kinda sucked this morning because the two good bikes were taken by the time I got there, so I had to use the crappy one for 30 minutes or so. I'm switching to the eliptical runner starting tomorrow, and bumping it up to 45 minutes at 70% of my MHR (~150 bpm).

Back/Biceps/Forearms - 3:30 pm
Lat Pulldowns:
90x10
90x10
110x8
140x6
160x4
160x4

Deadlifts:
135x10
135x10
225x6
225x5
225x5

Bent over rows:
95x10
135x5
135x5

Alternating db curls:
25'sx10
30'sx10
35'sx8

Alternating hammer curls:
35'sx10
35'sx10

The campus gym was packed this afternoon, and everyone and their brother was doing curls, so I didn't get any barbell curls in today. Oh well. I think today's back workout was better than last week's. I went a little lighter on the deadlift weight, and my form was a little better. My back isn't killing me like it was after last week's workout. My form was also better with the bent over rows, and my strength is improving a little there too.

Flag football practice - 7pm
Practice lasted about an hour and a half. We ran a bunch of patterns and some plays.

kad
09-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Thought I'd update before I go to the flag football game tonight. I did 50 minutes of stationary bike cardio this morning at 130-135 bpm (~65-70%). My quads and hip flexors have been freaking sore today, probably due to DOMS from Saturday's leg workout coupled with sprinting when we ran routes at practice. I opted out of the elliptical this morning because of that, but the bike did the job just the same. I don't really know if there would've been much difference. I ordered another bottle of MultiPro 32X from dpsnutrition.com today, along with a bottle of AST's CLA 1000. Shipped UPS they'll hopefully be here next Monday. Tomorrow's leg workout is going to be fun after running all night tonight.

Kiaran
09-13-2005, 09:17 PM
looking good, man. Getting those legs back into gear I see. Nice deadlifting too, very impressive! How is your form on your BB Bent Rows?

kad
09-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Kiaran - Thanks. Leg workouts are one of my favorites, because they're my strongest area. As for BB bent over rows, my form is pretty much like this guy's (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html).

Skipped cardio this morning because I was playing flag football until 12:30 last night.

Legs
I hate it when I get to the gym and someone's doing curls in both squat racks. So, I started out by warming up with some leg curls and extensions.

Seated Leg Curls
140 x 10
140 x 10

Seated Leg Extensions
140 x 10
140 x 10

Squats
95 x 10
135 x 8
155 x 6
185 x 4
185 x 4

45 degree Leg Press
2pps x 10
3pps x 6
3pps x 4

SLDL's
135 x 10
225 x 1 (ouch)
Didn't do any working sets of these, because my lower back was still aching from Monday's back workout. So I finished hamstrings off with a couple more sets of leg curls.

Seated Leg Curls
170 x 6
170 x 6

Standing Calf Raises
275 x 10
395 x 6
395 x 6

(Edit: checked the calf raise stack today and updated weight above)

Notes
Overall the workout went pretty well. The gym wasn't as crowded today as it was Monday afternoon, but I still had to wait for the squat rack a couple of times. Oh well. I was still feeling Monday's back workout pretty badly in my lower back, so SLDL's sucked. I'm going to have to start doing back workouts on Monday and legs on Friday to allow more rest time between DL's and SLDL's. My back's been killing me since DOMS set in. My left shoulder was also nagging me today since I hurt it last week, which I think I figured out was from DL's. I must've used my shoulders too much last last week and strained something. I'll live. On another note, we lost our first flag football game last night. At least it was fun. The FCA team is insanely fast, so there pretty much wasn't any contest. Our BCM team has some pretty quick guys, but just to put it into perspective they have 7 or 8 guys as fast as our two fastest guys. It was amazing.

kad
09-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Man, my throat started getting sore yesterday evening. This morning it's still sore, and slightly worse. I think it's just sinus drainage, but it sucks. This happened a while back, but it only lasted for a few days. I fought it back pretty well then, hopefully I can this time too. I'd hate to come down with allergies right now. I also pretty much screwed up yesterday evening with chips and salsa, and then again later on with 4 blueberry muffins. So much for cutting. I'll get over it. At least I did fine through my pwo meal. I also decided to stop the creatine for now and see if it has any effect on my weight or strength. I don't really think it will. I'll be fine as long as I can maintain my current lifts in the 4-6 rep range.

I also decided not to get any more ETS after I run out of this bottle, because the stuff is too expensive for my college budget. I'm trying to minimize the number of pills I'm taking right now. And the number of pill bottles on the shelf... it looks like a flippin supplement store, hehe. Along those lines, I'm looking to combine my MSM/Chondroitin Sulfate/Glucosamine Sulfate bottles from Kent into a single supplement that contains all three for roughly the same price. I'm looking at the TKE joint boost on bb.com, but I still have about half these bottles left, so plenty of time to think about that one. I pretty much want to get down to taking only a multivitamin, joint support, fish oil, dextrose and whey. (Edit: and CLA and ALA.)

Guido
09-15-2005, 07:54 AM
I can't believe nobody has welcomed you with any :spam:. Let me be the first: :spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

Kiaran
09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Another nice legs session I see. I feel you on waiting for a Squat rack. I want to beat every person that does curls in a cage....drives me bat sh!t. There should be a Lose Turn sequence or some sh!t for them the next time they go to use the rack. Just how many pills/drugs you taking right now? You really should cut it back to just a multivitamin, a B-complex and Whey if you can. That stuff gets really expensive. Drink lots of water with that Creatine and anything else you are taking, you don't wanna fry your kidneys.

kad
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Guido - Thanks :D

Kiaran - I hear you on the expensive pills. Right now I'm finishing off some bottles of ETS and Thermocin, and I've got a tub of Creatine 500 and L-Glutamine waiting to be finished off. I'm going to keep taking the glutamine in my pwo shakes until I run out, but I'm saving the creatine for bulking later on.

I'm ditching the ETS, Thermocin, and L-glutamine when I'm out of them. I like the joint stack, so I'm sticking with it, but I'm getting something with everything combined next time. I'm narrowing my list down to multipro 32x, joint support, nitrean, fish oil caps, ALA, CLA, and B complex from here on out.

And just so I don't screw up again, I'm putting up my meal plan for today. Not that anyone else cares. Maybe this will help me stick to it or something.

meal 1: 1c (dry) oats, 2 scoops nitrean
meal 2: 1 boneless chicken breast, 2c salad mix, 2T olive oil, 4 fish oil caps
(workout)
meal 3 (pwo): 50g dextrose, 1 scoop nitrean (2:1 ratio, duh)
meal 4 (ppwo): 1 boneless chicken breast, 1/2c brown rice, 2c stir fry vegetables
meal 5: 8oz lean beef, can of spinach, 2T natty pb, 4 fish oil caps
meal 6: 2 scoops nitrean, 2T natty pb, 4 fish oil caps

totals: 2819 calories, 272g protein, 192g carbs, 107g fat (38.6% p / 27.24% c / 34.16% f)

Time for a chest/shoulders/triceps workout. I'm going to be too busy tomorrow and Saturday, so I had to get it in today.

kad
09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

BB flat bench
95 x 12
95 x 10
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 4

BB incline bench
135 x 6
135 x 6

DB side lateral raises
20's x 10
20's x 10

BB seated military press
65 x 10
95 x 6
115 x 1
105 x 6
105 x 4

BB close grip bench press
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 3 (failure)

Cable pushdowns
150 x 6
150 x 4

BB upright rows
65 x 6
85 x 6

Notes
My workout went great today, except for the fact I felt like crap the whole time since my allergies are flared up and my throat is sore. My strength is still improving on several lifts. I was able to rep 3 sets of 165 on the flat bench, which impressed me. I might have been able to go 6 reps on the first two with a spotter, but I stopped short since I didn't have one. I had a spot on the last set. I was stupid to attempt 135 on the CG bench without a spotter, because I almost dropped the bar on my jaw during the 4th rep. I should be able to get it next week though. My left shoulder was feeling healed and strong today, and they're both getting a lot more stable in the side lateral raises. I was slightly suprised I couldn't rep 115 more than once on the military press, since I did last week, but I had a spotter then too. I'm going to start doing standing military presses next week, and alternating dumbbells in for chest workouts too.

Kiaran
09-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Great bench work. Keep pushing the limits. My only critique on the diet is maybe try to eat less fat and more carbs? I guess it isn't supposed to hurt, since it's omega fats and all, but just my 2 cents. Dextrose? Is that the appetite suppresent sh*t?

kad
09-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Kiaran - Thanks. Yeah, I noticed that about my diet too. The carbs may be a little low, but I'm doing ok so far. The Thermocin is helping to suppress my appetite a little. Dextrose is actually a simple sugar that a lot of people take post workout in their shakes. Basically, it spikes your insulin and restores muscle glycogen stores after they've been depleted by a workout, and drives nutrients into the cells to kickstart the recovery process. I don't know if you already knew about that or not, but there you have it. There's a lot more that a good search could tell you than I can try to explain. :)

kad
09-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Weekly Report

Last week's workouts were good overall. I'm maintaining my strength while cutting, which is a good thing. I need to do better keeping up with my diet, since that's what makes or breaks a cut. It's hard to be in college and not splurge through the week. Anyway, I'm taking a week off (maybe two) from lifting, because I've got some nagging injuries that are being slow to heal. My left hip flexor hurts whenever I bend over and stand up straight, and I pinched a nerve in the left side of my lower back (probably doing deads), so that side of my back goes numb if I sit on a hard surface for too long. Oh well. No pain, no gain. I'm going to keep up with my diet and cardio next week though. I'm switching to the rowing machine for cardio for a while, because I hate sitting on the exercise bike for 45 minutes. It's too boring.

kad
09-21-2005, 07:40 AM
After two weeks of using Thermocin, I'm finally starting to see results. My body fat is slowly going away, and this is my week off too. It seems like every morning my stomach is a little tighter. I can't wait to get back to lifting and cardio next week. I'll get some pics on Saturday 10-1-05. I'd say I have about 8 weeks left before I reach my goal. It's taken me 6 months to get this far, and I can't wait.

Kiaran
09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
way to go man. What is your target bf%? Good luck with the injuries.

kad
09-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Kiaran - Thanks. My goal is 8% body fat, by the end of November. The injuries seem to be healed up. I'm pretty pumped about getting back to the gym this week.

kad
09-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Ok, since I've been "cheating" all week on my week off, I'm going to be ultra strict on myself for the next 8 weeks. I'm eating clean from here on out except for a cheat meal on Saturdays. I need to cut back on my sodium (no more soy sauce on the rice) and drink more water. I also need to work on getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, since I got my sleeping pattern all screwed up last week. I was up until 2-3am most nights programming for a class. Anyway, I'm going to weigh in Monday morning and start off at 2700 calories for next week. My plan for now is 45 minutes of cardio 3 times a week, and 3 days a week of heavy lifting. I'm sticking with the lifting routine I had going before now, since I liked it. I'm rested, healed, pumped and ready to get serious now. Daily logs will resume on Monday.

kad
09-25-2005, 08:57 AM
So I bought Lyle McDonald's UD2 ebook yesterday (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com). I've learned a lot, and I'm going to incorporate its strategies in my cut. I won't be able to this week, because I have too many exams on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I need all the energy and mental focus I can get. I'll use this week to finish reading it and formulate a plan, and start UD2 next week. I'll probably start a new journal at that time for a specific UD2 log. This week I'm just going to eat at maintenance and resume lifting like normal.

kad
09-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Monday, 9-26-05

Alright, here goes.

Monday morning weigh in: 182.5 lbs

Waist: 38.5"
Hips: 38"
Left bicep: 13.5"
Right bicep: 13.5"
Left forearm: 11.25"
Right forearm: 11.25"
Left quad: 22.5"
Right quad: 22.5"
Left calf: 15"
Right calf: 15.5"

Note: Arm and leg measurements were taken cold flexed, all were taken first thing in the morning.

I've got a little water weight, but not much. The thermocin helped keep most of that off last week. The good thing was I didn't lose any muscle during my week off. For some reason, my calves have always been a little off balanced like that. I'll fix that when I bulk after I'm done cutting. Anyway, I'm using my waistline and the mirror to determine whether or not I'm losing bodyfat (since my weight hasn't changed much in the last month), and my arm/leg measurements to determine if I'm maintaining muscle. So far, so good. I'm going moderately low carbs this week to get back into the swing of things and prepare my body for its first UD2 beating next week.

Today is a cardio day. I didn't make it over to the gym before class this morning to do my usual fasted cardio, so I'll go do some HIIT on the bike later on this afternoon. I'll update later.

kad
09-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Ok, so I skipped cardio today and decided to jump right into UD2. *Bad idea*. Especially right after a week off with no training and eating semi normally. I was so nauseated in the gym today I was about to puke several times during the depletion workout. I decided to dump that idea for now, because my body can't handle it. I'm drinking a dextrose/whey shake right now just to try to get myself back to normal. I should've done the smart thing and trained for a couple of weeks while managing my own diet before trying out UD2, but oh well. I'll be ok eventually. Geez. I have new respect for those of you that can handle UD2.

kad
09-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Tuesday, September 27

AM weight - 181 lbs

Workout - fasted cardio
45 minutes stationary bike @ 135-140 bpm

Calories: somewhere around 2300 (lost count)

Notes
Getting back into things after a week off has been slow. Yesterday was a disaster in terms of diet and training (neither were my normal routines). Today was a little better. I got my cardio in this morning, that was the important part. The diet was pretty good today for the most part, but I ran out of cooked food due to bad planning, so I drank a few whey shakes later on in the day to make up for it. I'll have to grill more chicken and beef tomorrow. I finally made a meal plan I can stick to, and password protected the spreadsheet so I won't modify it on a whim like I'm prone to doing. I'll be eating at or just above 2400 calories (depending on what day it is) for the next 3 weeks at least before I make any changes to the diet.

I need to be more consistant with my training too. Since I did a full body workout yesterday, I'm going to do the same tomorrow and Friday just for the sake of consistancy. I hate full body workouts though, so next week I'm moving back to the routine I was doing before I took off. The general plan for next week on will be the following:

Monday: cardio
Tuesday: back, biceps
Wednesday: cardio
Thursday: chest, shoulders, triceps
Friday: cardio
Saturday: legs, abs
Sunday: off

kad
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Wednesday, September 28

AM weight - 180.5 lbs

Workout - PM cardio
20 minutes HIIT rowing machine
- 1 minute intervals with 3 minute warmup, 4 minute cooldown

Calories - 2400

Notes
Things are starting to work again. Keeping carbs low and taking Thermocin seem to work well together. I've lost 2 lbs already since Monday, most of which is water weight from last week. The cut's going pretty good so far. I can see a lot of veins and striations already. I don't feel like I'm losing any strength or anything like that either, which I guess is a good sign. My triceps are toast right now, since my form wasn't that great when I did db bench press on Monday. I kept my elbows in instead of out, and it targeted my triceps too much. I'll work on that next time.

Kiaran
09-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Nice, looks like you're finally getting the ball moving on this mofo. Keep it rolling, man! Also, you might want to use http://www.fitday.com to track your calories. Way easier to watch your carbs/fat/protien count with that tool. I wouldn't be moving without it.

kad
09-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Thursday, September 29

AM weight: 179.5 lbs

Calories: 2500

Workout
Keeping up with my full body workouts today.

Squats
95x10
95x10
135x8
185x5
185x5
205x3 (could've probably repped 4, but I stopped)
135x5

SLDL's
95x10
135x10
185x6
225x2
205x5

Flat bench
95x10
95x10
135x8
155x6
155x5
155x5

Dips
BWx5
BWx3

Chins
BWx0.5 (sucked)

Lat Pulldowns
160x5
160x5

Bent over rows
95x10
135x5
135x5

Standing military press
45x10
95x5
95x3 (burned out)

Notes
Everything was pretty strong today, especially squats. Using the neck/shoulder pad on the bar helped a ton. SLDL's could've been stronger, but I didn't want to hurt anything. I'm pretty happy where my weights are for now, and my goal is just to maintain my current strength for the rest of my cut. Right now my max bench is around 185, squat is around 225, and deadlift is around 275. I guess that's a pretty good spread of strength for now, but of course I'll work on that when I'm done cutting. I can't wait to bulk. :evillaugh

kad
09-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Kairan - thanks. I actually have a fitday account, I just don't use it. I prefer to use my own spreadsheet instead. :)

Kiaran
09-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Nice lookin workout, buddy. Yeah, just focus on your cut right now. Be patient and soon you will have all the room to bulk you want. You're going to be one strong dude.

kad
09-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Kairan - thanks. I'll be sure and post pics when I'm done cutting.

kad
09-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Friday, September 30

AM weight: 179 lbs

Workout: AM fasted cardio
45 minutes stationary bike @ 130-135 bpm

Calories: (cheat day)

Notes
Hopefully I won't have too much water weight gain tomorrow after my cheat day today. Tomorrow will be my last day of full body workouts. I will probably go a little lighter in the 8-10 rep range since yesterday was a pretty heavy workout, and add in some isolation work for biceps/triceps/calves.

kad
10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Saturday, October 1

Workout: full body

BB flat bench
65 x 12 (warmup)
65 x 10 (warmup)
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 7

DB incline bench
25's x 10 (haven't done these in a while)
35's x 10
45's x 8

DB side lateral raises
15's x 10 (warmup)
20's x 10
20's x 8

DB shoulder presses
20's x 10 (warmup)
35's x 10
35's x 8

DB rear delt raises
15's x 10
15's x 10
Weak on those...

Lying tricep extensions
45 x 10
55 x 10

Curl bar curls
55 x 10
55 x 10

Lat pulldowns
100 x 10 (warmup)
120 x 10
120 x 10

BB bent over rows
95 x 10
95 x 10

45 degree leg press
1pps+50 x 10 (warmup)
2pps x 10
2pps x 10

Seated leg curls
140 x 10 (warmup)
155 x 10
155 x 10

Notes
My weight was a little up this morning after my cheat day yesterday. Oh well, no biggie. It should come back off fairly quickly in the next couple of days. Overall I'm satisfied with this past week. I pretty much took a week to get rid of a few pounds of water weight (and then gain a couple back yesterday). But I've got my motivation, and my method, so now it's just a matter of time before I'm at my goal.

kad
10-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Back/Biceps/Traps

Got to the gym this morning and two chicks were doing curls in both power racks, so I had to hold off on the heavy stuff. I hate it when that happens.

Lat pulldowns
100 x 12 (warmup)
120 x 10 (warmup)
150 x 6
150 x 5

I went a little lighter on these so I could keep good form. My form was getting sloppy at heavier weight last time.

Seated cable rows
150 x 6
150 x 6

They were still curling the bar in the racks, so I had to sub in cable rows... ugh.

Hyper extensions
BW x 12 (warmup)
BW+25 x 8
BW+25 x 8

Still curling in the racks, so I had to sub in hypers instead of deadlifts... getting a little pissed by now. :bang:

Curl bar curls
45 x 10 (warmup)
75 x 6
75 x 5
65 x 6

Barbell shrugs
135 x 12 (warmup)
185 x 10 (warmup)
225 x 10
225 x 10

They finally moved on, so I was able to hit the traps hard today.

Barbell bent over rows
135 x 6
135 x 6

DB hammer curls
30's x 10
35's x 8

I normally do SLDL's on leg day anyway so I guess those will make up for the lack of deadliftage today. The cut's still going. I ran out of Thermocin yesterday, so I put in an order for some more. I should've done that last week when I started getting low. My diet's been a little off track for the last couple of days, but I'm correcting that today. Gotta keep it consistant if I'm going to expect any results.

kad
10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

BB flat bench
95 x 12 (warmup)
95 x 10 (warmup)
115 x 8 (warmup)
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 4

BB incline bench
135 x 3 (acclimation)
145 x 4
145 x 5 (last rep barely assisted)

Dips
BW x 6
BW x 5

DB side lateral raises
15's x 10 (warmup)
25's x 6
25's x 6

DB rear delt raises
20's x 8
25's x 6
25's x 6

BB standing military press
45 x 10 (warmup)
45 x 8 (warmup)
95 x 2 (failure)
65 x 6
85 x 4

DB overhead tricep extensions
40 x 10 (warmup)
50 x 6
50 x 6

Cable pushdowns
150 x 5
150 x 4

Pretty strong workout overall. Military press could've been better, but I'm still getting used to doing those standing instead of sitting. Sitting I could've pushed 115x4 pretty easily. I guess it's the lack of back support. I got my Thermocin today (thanks Chris), so I can start taking it again. I also ordered some AST GABA and creatine monohydrate from DPS nutrition the other day. Hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week.

The cut's still going. My diet has been off track for the last few days, but I'm still noticing some results... imagine that. I've been cheating too much this week. I'm going to have to be more strict on myself... anyway. Saturday's leg day. Can't wait for squats.

kad
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Legs

Squats
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 3
205 x 3
185 x 4
185 x 4

SLDL's
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 3
225 x 5
225 x 5

45 degree leg press
3pps x 5
3pps x 5

Standing calf raises
265x10
395x5
395x5

I skipped my leg workout on Saturday. Call it lack of motivation to get my butt to the gym on a Saturday morning when I could be lazy instead, but whatever. Workout was short and sweet. Squats were satisfactory, but could've been better. I shoul've waited to load 205 after my sets at 185 instead of before. SLDL's were strong as always, as were leg presses. I think my squat form needs some work, but I'm not sure. I'll try to grab one of the more experienced lifters next time I'm doing squats. My cutting diet hasn't been that clean lately. It freaking sucks. I can't get back on the right track, and my bodyfat isn't really going anywhere. I'm almost tempted to just maintain until after Thanksgiving and bulk over the winter, then cut again in the spring.

kad
10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

BB flat bench
95 x 12 (warmup)
95 x 10 (warmup)
135 x 10 (warmup)
165 x 5
165 x 4
165 x 4

BB incline bench
135 x 6
135 x 6

Dips
BW x 6
BW x 5

DB shoulder press
25's x 10 (warmup)
35's x 6
35's x 6

DB side lateral raises
20's x 10 (warmup)
25's x 6
25's x 5

DB rear delt raises
25's x 6
25's x 6

BB close grip bench
95 x 10 (warmup)
115 x 6
115 x 6

Cable pushdowns
170 x 4
160 x 5

Weight selection was pretty much right on target today for the 4-6 rep range. I might go up a little in the CG bench and DB presses next week. We'll see. I'm going to keep the cut going for as long as I can. I really want to see a sixpack before I start bulking. My diet is getting back to where it needs to be, and my sleeping pattern has been better this week. I had 7 hours Sunday night, and 8 hours last night, so I'm feeling better about that. Tomorrow's an off day, so I'll probably throw in some HIIT sprints.

kad
10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Back/Biceps

WG/OH chins
BW x 3

CG/UH chins
BW x 4
BW x 6

BB bent over rows
95 x 10
135 x 6
155 x 5

Conventional, raw deadlifts
135 x 10
155 x 10
185 x 6
225 x 3
245 x 1
275 x 6
275 x 5
315 x 1 (PR)

BB shrugs
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

BB curls
85 x 2
65 x 6
65 x 6

Notes
The deadlift PR about sums up how I feel about today's workout. I was really excited to finally hit 315 lbs on a lift today, since I've only been lifting constantly for about 7 months. 3pps is such a good feeling. Too bad the curls suffered at the end of the workout. I was wiped out after DL's.

I've also decided (for certain) that I'm quitting the cut, and switching gears to a clean bulk. I'll be upping my calories to the 3500 range over the next couple of weeks. I'll be out of town for the next 5 days, so I'll be good and rested when I get back to the gym for squats next Wednesday. For anyone interested, the supplements I'll be using are AtLarge Nitrean, AtLarge Thermocin, AST MultiPro 32x, AST GABA, AST creatine mono, Kent Nutrition ALA, and dextrose (obviously). I need to put in an order for some more Nitrean when I get back in town. Time to get my bulk on. :evillaugh

briancurran01
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
good luck bro...question why thermocin on a bulk?

kad
10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
good luck bro...question why thermocin on a bulk?
Thanks man. I was thinking it'll help prevent excess fat gain, but I could be wrong. I'll shelve it if you don't think it's worth it on a bulk.

Kiaran
10-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Great work on that 3pps dead PR, man. I know exactly how you felt when you pulled that :) Bulk or cut, doesn't matter. Whatever you want, just make sure to kick that **** off the hinges and achieve your goals!

kad
10-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Legs

Squats
135 x 10
155 x 8
185 x 6
205 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 1

SLDL's
135 x 10
155 x 10
185 x 6
205 x 3
245 x 1 (ouch)

Seated leg curls
155 x 10
200 x 5
200 x 5

Seated leg extensions
245 x 5
245 x 5

Standing calf raises
255 x 10
395 x 6
395 x 6

Notes
The squats were great today. I'm finally starting to up the workout weight to 205 now, which is cool. I decided to match my PR and try for one more, but I didn't feel like I could get the second rep, so I didn't go for it. Maybe next time. My left hip flexor was a little tender after squats, so I decided not to do 45 degree leg presses today. SLDL's were ok until I got up to the heavy weight. My back was a little tender after the rep at 245, so I decided to go easy and do some curls and extensions instead. I didn't want to screw my back up today. I need to save it for regular deads on Saturday.

kad
10-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Bench press
115 x 12
135 x 10
155 x 6
165 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 3

Dips
BW x 7
BW x 5

CG bench press
95 x 10
115 x 6
115 x 6

DB side lateral raises
20's x 10
30's x 6
35's x 5
35's x 5

DB rear delt raises
25's x 8
35's x 6
35's x 6

DB shoulder presses
20's x 10
30's x 8
40's x 2
35's x 5
35's x 5

Cable pushdowns
150 x 10
150 x 7 + 1 (after short pause)

Notes
Everything was feeling strong today. I'm looking at a weight increase on CG bench next week, and I'm going to attempt to push my max bench up a little too. I attempted the 40's on the DB shoulder press today, but I couldn't lock out the third rep, so I dropped back down to the 35's. Maybe next week. I don't normally lift three days in a row, but I'm going to have to move my back/biceps workout up to tomorrow instead of Saturday, because I'm going to be out of town on Saturday. I should be able to stick to the Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule for next week on, and I might add some cardio back in on Tuesday/Thursday just to get rid of the bloat.

kad
10-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I ran out of Nitrean quicker than I thought I would, and I never got around to ordering any more earlier this week, so I had to drive 30 minutes tonight to the nearest store that carried ON 100% whey. I picked up two 2lb tubs (they didn't have anything bigger), so I should be set for a while at least. Anyway, my calories are approaching the 3000 level. Next week I'll bump them up to 3200-3300 and see how things go from there.

kad
10-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Back/Biceps

Chinups
BW x 8 (CG/OH)
BW x 7 (CG/OH)
BW x 6 (CG/UH)

BB bent over rows
95 x 10
115 x 8
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

(Note: I stuck with 135 for working sets on BO rows for form.)

Conventional deadlifts
135 x 12
135 x 10
185 x 8
205 x 6
225 x 4
245 x 2
275 x 5 (+straps)
275 x 5 (+straps)
325 x 1 (+straps) (PR+10lbs)

BB curls
45 x 12
65 x 10
85 x 2 (...)
65 x 6

Notes
Great workout. Maxed out on deads again. I couldn't do too much on curls afterwards, my biceps were mostly worn out from the rest of the workout. It took just over an hour overall with all those DL warmup/acclimation sets. I'm going to start adding abs back into the routine sometime next week, maybe twice a week in between lifting days. The bulk is going well. I can already tell I'm gaining more mass all over. My weight was around 185 this morning. I'm aiming for 200 lbs by the end of December, then I'll decide what to do from there. I might continue to bulk up to 210-215, and then cut in the spring. Who knows.

kad
10-26-2005, 10:41 PM
My lower trapezius muscles were giving me some grief towards the end of last week, so I decided to take a week off from lifting. I needed to get rid of the bloat I gained from the bulk too, so I've been doing cardio this week and lowering the carbs a bit. I'm going to take things a bit more slowly when I start back up again next week. I've got a meal plan going again, because I need to be more strict on my diet from now on too. I let things go a little too crazy at first. Anyway, I'm off the creatine (for now), because I've had a lot of water weight fluctuations with the AST creatine monohydrate, and I want to get more of an accurate weight measure each week. We'll see how things go. I'll start updating with workouts and stuff again next week.

kad
10-27-2005, 07:32 AM
stats update

My weight has been 185.5 consistantly for the last 3 mornings, so my water weight and bloat are pretty much gone. I can tell just by looking in the mirror and flexing - muscle striations and veins are more pronounced. So I took measurements, and used an online BF calculator (I don't own calipers) at healthcentral.com to get a more accurate bodyfat measurement than just guessing. All measurements were taken cold flexed unless otherwise noted.

Chest: 44"
Biceps: 14.25"
Forearms: 11.5"
Wrist: 7"
Quads: 22"
Calves: 15.5"
Waist: 38" (at widest point)

Hips are 39" at the widest point just for reference. The online calculator gave me 14.5% bodyfat, which seems about right. I still have a slight gut when relaxed, but I'm starting to notice the outline of my abs when I flex. Pretty cool. I can't wait to get back to lifting next week.

Edit: This means I've gained 5-6 lbs of LBM in the last month or so, because I started out at about 179 lbs with 14-15% bodyfat. :evillaugh

kad
10-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Today marks the beginning of a new era in dieting for me. I finally got the guts to switch to calorie/carb cycling, and started off my first UD2 cycle today. The little bulk, or whatever it was, that I was attempting for the last few weeks left me fat and bloated. I'm determined to get to sub 10% bodyfat before I bulk again. My goal is to get to sub 10% by Christmas. I haven't finished reading the UD2 book yet, due to being busy with classes, but I've already gone through and done the math for my calorie requirements and planned my workouts. Instead of using mostly machines for the depletion workouts, I'm using mostly free weights (squats, sldl's, bent over rows, etc).

Just for reference:
Weight: 185 lbs / 84.1 kg
Bodyfat: 14-15%
LBM: 158 lbs / 72 kg (roughly)
Fat mass: 27 lbs / 12.3 kg
Goal bodyfat: <10%

Supplements I'm taking:
ON 100% whey
AST MultiPro 32x
AST creatine monohydrate
AST GABA (3g nightly)
6 fish oil caps a day (as Lyle suggests)
Kent Nutrition ALA
3x Thermocin 2-3 times daily
Vitamin C (2000mg), E (800IU), and B Complex (2 caps)

I'm not going to spill the whole plan and routine here, because it's roughly 2 pages long in a word document right now, and it'd be pointless and boring and nobody would read it anyway.

kad
10-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Monday AM depletion workout:
Target set/rep = 3x12-15 circuit style (do it twice) @ ~60% max

Squats: 1RM = 225 lbs, target = 225 * .60 = 135 lbs
45 x 12
135 x 15
135 x 13
135 x 12
* Note: weight selection was right on the money. I started feeling the nausea and lactic acid buildup slightly after the second set.

SLDLís: 1RM = 225+ lbs, target = 135+ lbs
45 x 12
135 x 15
135 x 12
135 x 12
* Note: increase weight on these next time

Bench: 1RM = 185 lbs, target = 185 * .60 = 111 lbs
45 x 12
95 x 15
95 x 12
95 x 13
* Note: bump weight up to 115 lbs tomorrow

Lat pulldowns: 1RM = ~185 lbs (165x4ish), target = ~110 lbs
100 x 15
100 x 13
* Note: bump weight up on these slightly too

Lateral raises:
15ís x 12
15ís x 12
15ís x 12
* Note: weight selection was right on with these too. Pretty much 12RM.

Calf raises:
215 x 15
215 x 15
215 x 15
* Note: bump weight up slightly next time

Cable pushdowns:
A little over half the stack x 15
* Note: a little light on these. Need to bump weight up to 100 lbs tomorrow.

Curl bar curls:
45 x 15
45 x 12
* Note: pretty much dead on. Second set x 12 was just shy of failure.

Meal Plan
M1: 3/4 cup oats (pre cooking), 1 cup egg beaters, 1 scoop whey (48/47.5/5.5)
M2: 8oz chicken breast, salad, red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil (46/0/16)
M3: 8oz chicken breast, 1 can spinach (46/0/0)
M4: 6oz atlantic salmon, 1 can green beans (41/0/12)
M5: 1 scoop whey (24/3/1)
supplements: 6 fish oil caps (+6g f)

totals: 1404.5 kcal, 205p/50.5c/42.5f

Notes
I almost forgot what it was like to work for higher than 10 reps in a set. Still, I didnít feel as nauseated during this workout as I did last time I tried a UD2 depletion workout. I don't think I was working hard enough for a few of the sets, because I wasn't using enough weight. I'll fix that tomorrow morning. I couldnít make the circuit twice, because I was already in the gym for nearly an hour for the first time through. I had to take a crap after lat pulldowns, so that set me back a little. :bang: I also didnít want to go overkill today and almost vomit in the gym floor either like I nearly did last time. Easing into things the first time seems to work better. UD2 and carb depletion workouts (and carb cycling in general) are new to me, so I didnít want to scare myself off like I did last time. The thermocin did a pretty good job keeping off hunger cravings, until 10-11pm after my last meal of the day. I'm freaking starving right now though. Tomorrow's depletion workout is going to be brutal.

kad
11-01-2005, 07:49 AM
You get the condensed digest version today.

AM weight: 184 lbs

Tuesday AM depletion workout
A1 = 1st rotation, A2 = 2nd rotation
Short rests (60-90 secs)

Leg ext:
A1: 95x10, 95x10, 140x15, 140x15, 140x15
A2: 140x5, 125x15, 125x15

Leg curl:
A1: 95x10, 115x10, 140x15, 155x15, 140x15
A2: 125x15, 125x15

Calf raise:
A1: 215x10, 215x10, 275x15, 255x15, 235x15
A2: 215x15, 215x15

Incline bench:
A1: DB's: 20'sx10, 20'sx15, 25'sx15, 25'sx15
A2: BB: 45x10, 65x15, 85x15, 85x15

Shoulder press:
A1: DB's: 20'sx10, 20'sx15, 20'sx15, 20'sx12
A2: (BB seated mil press): 45x15, 45x13

Seated cable rows:
A1: 95x10, 110x15, 110x15, 110x15
A2: 110x15, 110x15

Barbell curls:
A1: 45x10, 45x15, 45x12
A2: 45x15, 45x8 (toasted)

Cable pushdowns:
A1: 110x10, 120x15, 120x15, 120x15
A2: 120x15, 120x12 (toasted)

Meal Plan
M1: 3/4 cup oats (pre cooking), 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/46.5/6.5)
M2: 8oz chicken breast, salad/red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil (46/0/16)
M3: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli (46/0/2)
M4: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli (46/0/2)
M5: 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 2 tsp flax oil (24/3/10)
Additional supps: 6 fish oil caps

Totals: 210p/49.5c/42.5f = 1420.5 kcal

Edit: Updated meal plan halfway through the day. I didn't feel like eating salmon again. Still on target, though.

Notes
Lactic acid, nausea, and lightheadedness are my new best friends. I'm trying not to puke as I type this right now. Today's workout was a LOT tougher than yesterday's, especially the second time through. I opted to do mostly machines today for legs/back, because the machines are already arranged in a circuit style and stuff. Anyway, I'm glad that's over with. I honestly feel depleted. My arms are freaking shaking. One thing I noticed too, is that since later on yesterday evening I get dehydrated really easy. Must be a side effect of low carbs, since carbs hold water, etc. I've already had 2 liters of water today, and it's not even 9am yet. Time to eat breakfast and get to class. Later.

kad
11-02-2005, 07:35 AM
AM weight: 182.5 lbs

Cardio
45 minutes rowing (fasted)

Distance: 9104 meters
Average resistance: 120-150 watts (about the same resistance as the bikes at level 6)
Average speed: 3.4m/s
Calories: 544 (according to the machine, of course I'm skeptical)

Meal Plan
I decided to drop the carbs a little lower and up the fats to make up for it today.

M1: 2 scoops ON 100% whey, 1T natty pb, 1/2 cup oatmeal (pre cooking) (48/36/13)
M2: 8oz chicken breast, salad/red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil (46/0/16)
M4: 8oz chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli (46/0/2)
M5: 1 scoop ON 100% whey (24/3/1)

Totals: 210p/39c/40f, 1356 kcal

Notes
The gym was packed when I walked in at 6:45 this morning. Every single stationary bike and most of the treadmills were being used... Good grief. So I went to the other side and used a rowing machine instead. I tried to target about the same levels of resistance that I used on the bike to keep my heart rate in the 60-70% range throughout the workout. Sometimes I prefer the rowing machines for a change, especially since my butt doesn't get as sore as it does from sitting on the upright bike seats forever. I think I'm going to stick to the rowing machines and the ellipticals for a while.

Anyway, Day 3 of UD2 isn't as bad, so far. I'm used to being on extremely low carbs by this time, and I got to do cardio for a change this morning instead of a nausea inducing depletion workout. I get to do cardio again tomorrow morning, and then another even harder final depletion workout tomorrow evening before I begin the carb load. Did I mention the carb load? I'll be eating somewhere around 1100 grams of carbs from Thursday evening post workout until I go to bed Friday night. I've got 3 boxes of pasta and 2 boxes of rice in the pantry for that. I can't wait. :evillaugh

kad
11-03-2005, 07:13 AM
AM weight: 182.5 lbs

Today is the final day of depletion. I get 70% of my calories from the last 3 days (or the first 3 meals) for the first part of the day. Then there's a final depletion workout this evening, and after that I kick the carb load off with a few dextrose drinks before I go to bed. I'll post more details about that workout and the carb load later on today.

Cardio
50 minutes stationary bike (fasted), 125-135 bpm
Level 5 resistance, 90 rpm speed
17.2 miles, 370 kcal (according to the machine)

Note: I believe these machines are slightly more accurate, because they take in your bodyweight and calculate based on preprogrammed MET's and level of resistance, etc... yeah.

Meal Plan
M1: 1/2 cup oats (pre cooking), 1T natty pb, 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/36/13)
M2: 8oz chicken breast, salad w/ red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil (46/0/16)

Totals: 140p/36c/31f, 983 kcal

30 minutes before evening workout
shake containing 30g dextrose, 15g protein, 5g creatine

Kiaran
11-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Man, you're gettin hardcore about this now. Things will most definitely go the way you want them to if you keep this sort of dedication up. Nice work, bro! I'll bet you can't wait to eat that pasta :p

kad
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Man, you're gettin hardcore about this now. Things will most definitely go the way you want them to if you keep this sort of dedication up. Nice work, bro! I'll bet you can't wait to eat that pasta :p
Thanks man! I just finished my final depletion/tension workout. It was pretty hardcore, but definitely worthwhile. Now I get to rest until Saturday's power workout and enjoy the carb load.

kad
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Thursday PM

Final depletion/tension workout
Load = 70-85% max, 2 sets of 6-12 reps (stopping 1 rep short of failure)
Rest = 1-2 minutes, long enough to not puke

Incline leg press:
2pps+50 x 10
2pps+50 x 9

The racks were being used, so I couldn't do SLDL's. I did a couple extra sets of seated leg curls instead. I just noticed on the curl/ext machines there's an extra mini weight stack on the side to add either +50 or +60 to the main stack, so I included that weight here.

Seated leg curls:
220 x 10
235 x 8
235 x 8
250 x 6

Leg extensions:
235 x 12
265 x 8

Standing calf raise:
395 x 9
395 x 8
395 x 7

Lat pulldowns:
150 x 8
150 x 7

Cable rows:
120 x 10
140 x 8
150 x 6

Bench press:
135 x 12
155 x 6
135 x 8

Lateral raises:
25's x 8
25's x 8

Incline bench:
115 x 8
115 x 8

Cable pushdowns:
150 x 9
150 x 6

Alternating DB curls:
30's x 12
30's x 12

Notes
This was a pretty high load/high intensity full body workout. Surprisingly enough, I didn't get sick and nauseated during the workout, but I did develop the most intense headache I think I've ever had before in the middle of lat pulldowns. That really sucked. My weight selections were on target, and so was the rep range. I didn't include warmup sets here though to keep the post short. I'll post my plans for the carb load in the next post.

kad
11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Carb load plans
The target for the carb load is 12-16g/kg LBM.

5:30 pm (pwo shake): 150g dextrose, 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/156/2)
8:00 pm: 150g dextrose, 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/156/2)
10:30 pm: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 box pasta, 1/4 cup alfredo sauce (46/171/13)

Totals: 142p, 483c, 17f, 2653 kcal

Friday:
M1: 2 bagels, 4 whole eggs (24/100/18)
M2: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 box pasta, 1/4 cup alfredo sauce (46/171/13)
M3: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice (46/66/5)
M4: 2 bagels, 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/126/2)
M5: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup egg beaters, 1T olive oil (70/66/19)

Totals: 234p, 529c, 57f, 3565 kcal

Total carbs from Thursday post workout - Friday evening:
483 + 529 = 1012g carbs

Edit: I went slightly over the 16g/kg LBM upper limit with the original plan, so I made some changes and traded a pasta meal for some rice. I don't want to go overboard. 12-16g/kg LBM (72kg LBM) for the carb load should be in the 864-1152g carb range for me.

Edit 2: I didn't feel like cooking again for meal 4, because I just got done at work, so I just chowed down on some more bagels. Good stuff.

Edit 3: Heh, I felt like cooking fried rice for my last meal, so I did. I edited the meal plan above.

kad
11-04-2005, 07:14 AM
AM weight: 183.5 lbs

Today is a rest day. Rest, and eat. And eat. And eat. I feel like I'm bulking, but I'm just replenishing glycogen today. I woke up with a headache this morning, but I feel better all over today since the carb load started last night. No thermogenics today, but I do get to creatine load for the power workout tomorrow. That's pretty much it.

kad
11-05-2005, 04:36 PM
AM weight: 187 lbs

Workout - full body power workout
Holy crap, that was the longest workout evAr!

warmup: 2 minutes rowing, full stretch

Squats
45 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 3
225 x 1 (previous PR)
275 x 0 (PR+50 failure)

I felt like I still had some in me after 225x1, so I tried to nail another PR. Maybe I went a little too heavy this time, but I might be able to get it if I do fewer workout sets before attempting it next time. I could've probably repped 245 or 255. Good thing I had a spot. I'll nail that next week. :mad:

SLDL's
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 1
275 x 5
275 x 3 (grip failed)
275 x 3 (grip failed)

My calouses started giving me some grief on the heavy sets towards the end, and I lost my grip.

Incline calf presses
Hey Kairan, check this one out! ;)

1pps x 10
2pps x 6
3pps x 6
5pps x 6
6pps x 6
7pps x 6
7pps x 6
8pps x 6 (720 lbs) (automatic PR)

The last set was still pretty easy. I would've thrown more plates on the machine, I didn't feel like doing any more. I was just testing the waters and checking out my limits today. Next week I'll throw the 100lb plates on first, then load it up from there, and see if I can break 1000 just for fun. :D

Beat that! :evillaugh
(kidding) :)

Flat bench
45 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 2
205 x 0 (PR+20 failed)
205 x 0 (PR+20 failed, again)

Another failed attempt at a PR... I wanted this one so badly too.

Dips
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 4

Chins (CG = close grip, UH = underhand, OH = overhand)
BW x 5 (CG/UH)
BW x 4 (CG/OH)
BW x 3 (CG/UH)

My arms were starting to get a little tired during these...

Bent over rows
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 6

Standing military press
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5 (PR+10lbs+5reps)
115 x 5
115 x 3

Shoulders were feeling really strong on these today. That felt good.

Side lateral raises
25's x 5
25's x 5

Rear delt raises
35's x 5
30's x 5

Alternating DB curls
30's x 12
35's x 10
35's x 8

Cable pushdowns
150 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 4

This workout took freaking 2.5 hours to complete. I didn't alternate supersets like the book suggested, so that's what I get. I'll get my method down next week, and hopefully it'll go a little faster. Oh well.

Meal Plan
Today is pretty much a maintenance day in terms of nutrition. I'm supposed to start dropping carbs down tomorrow to get ready for the next cycle on Monday. I don't normally do pre and during workout shakes, but the book suggested it, so I did today.

M1: 3/4c oats (pre cooking), 1 banana, 2 scoops ON 100% whey (48/66.5/6.5)
pre-workout: 30g dextrose, 15g ON 100% whey (15/30/0.5)
during workout: 30g dextrose in 320z water (0/30/0)
M2 (post workout): 70g dextrose, 1.5 scoops ON 100% whey (2:1) (36/71.5/1.5)
M3: 8oz chicken breast, 1 baked potato/malt vinegar (will post recipe at some point), vegetables (46/50?/3)
M4: 8oz chicken breast, vegetables, 1T flax oil (46/0/17)
M5: 6oz tuna, salad/red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil (32.5/0/15.25)
M5: 2 scoops ON 100% whey, 2T natty pb (48/12/18)

Totals: 271.5p, 263c, 68.75f, 2756.75 kcal

Notes
I'm creatine loading today as well. I might have 5g of creatine again tomorrow, but I don't get any during the depletion part of the cycle (until pre-workout on Thursday). So far, I'm pleased with the results I've gotten just from my first UD2 cycle. I can actually tell I've lost bodyfat, which is more than I can say about the last two months I've been dieting normally. I'll continue to update weight/bodyfat stats every Monday morning before the start of a new cycle. I expect I'll reach sub 10% bodyfat by Christmas easily at this rate.

kad
11-07-2005, 07:42 AM
UD2: Week 2, day 1

Measurements
All measurements taken cold flexed unless otherwise noted.

(Left/Right)
Biceps: 14.25"/14.25"
Forearms: 11.75"/11.75"
Chest: 44.5" (under arms)
Waist: 38" (relaxed)
Quads: 22.5"/22.5"
Calves: 15.25"/15.5"

My arms were actually just barely over 14" last week, so I rounded up, but now they're easily 14.25". All my other measurements are up as well. I wasn't expecting any size gains while cutting with UD2, so that's pretty nice. I'm going to have to be more strict on my diet after the carb load this weekend though, because last weekend I goofed Saturday night and cheated with taco bell for dinner and then pizza later on. Oh well.

I'm overall very satisfied with my results from the first week. I lost a bit of bodyfat just by looking at the mirror, and I even built some muscle. That's why they call it body recomposition :D. I have a better idea of the general procedure, so this week should go a little smoother. A few things I'm changing though. I'm cutting out the oatmeal for meal 1 post workout on depletion days, and having a couple bananas spaced throughout the day instead. I feel like this should help speed up the depletion process. I'm also going to cheat on Friday nights during the carb load instead of on Saturday when I should be eating a clean maintenance diet.

kad
11-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Workout

Round 1
Incline leg press
90x10, 180x15 (warmup)
200x15, x15, x15

Seated leg curls
110x10 (warmup)
140x15, 150x15, x15
note: +50 added on machine

Standing calf raises
215x10 (warmup)
335x15, 315x15, 295x15

Seated cable rows
110x15, 120x15, x15

Bench press
115x15, x12, x10

Standing military press
45x15, x15

Barbell curls
45x15, x15

Cable pushdowns
120x15, x15

Round 2
Leg extensions
140x15, x15, x12

Seated leg curls
140x15, x15, x15

Standing calf raises
275x15, x15, x15

Seated cable rows
110x15, x15, x15

Bench press
95x15, x15, x10

Standing military press
45x15, x12

Barbell curls
45x15, x15

Cable pushdowns
120x15, x15

Notes
Today was another full body depletion workout. This workout was better than last week's first depletion workout. I actually made it around twice, heh. I got a huge headache again during leg presses, and I got a little nauseated after legs on the second round. Overall it went smoother and I kept up with my rest times better, so it only took a little over an hour. I started losing strength during the second round though. My weights were a little lighter. I hope I can make it all the way through tomorrow's workout, which will be basically the same thing as today's with a few different exercises.

Meal plan
My meal plan is slightly adjusted this week.

1400 kcal depletion days
pre workout: 1 banana, 1 scoop ON 100% whey
post workout: 1 scoop ON 100% whey
M3: chicken breast, vegetables
M4: chicken breast, vegetables
M5: chicken breast, vegetables
M6: 1 scoop ON 100% whey, 2T natty pb
Supplements: 10 fish oil caps
Additional banana at some point in the day when i'm hungry.

Totals: 210p, 55c, 38f, 1402 kcal

I know it's boring, but it works for me. I don't mind eating the same thing every day for 3 days in a row if it produces results. And it has been, so I'm sticking to it. This will be my diet from now until Thursday evening post workout.

Kiaran
11-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, well, well, you've been a busy little bee haven't you? Lookin good, looking strong, things are working out for you, bro. Oh and you crushed the incline press machine into the ground eh? It's on now mofo! Just for that I'm gonna go for a 245 lb bench press PR :D Great dedication and keep hittin it hard, dude. Oh and sounds like you get some wicked headaches. Are you hittin up at least 72 oz clean water per day? Could be mild dehydration attacking you at the gym.

kad
11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Kiaran - Haha, thanks man. Go for that 245lb bench, you're definitely more within reach than I am! I'll get there someday. Yeah, I make sure I get at least a gallon of water a day, lately it's been closer to two. I think the headaches are just a side effect of the depletion workouts. It wasn't as bad during this morning's depletion workout, though. I normally down a half a liter of water before and a liter during workouts anyway, but this morning I took 800mg of ibuprofin before the workout too. Maybe that helped.

kad
11-08-2005, 08:03 AM
AM weight: 186 lbs

Workout
Full body depletion workout again today. Fun stuff. I decided to compress my full body workouts into a shorter format, so posts aren't so freaking long. R1 = rotation 1, R2 = rotation 2. i.e., I did everything in the first rotation, then started over and did everything in the second rotation. It should be easier to read.

Leg press
R1: 90x5, 180x5, 220x15, 220x5 (burned out)

Leg extensions
R1: 140x15, x15
R1: 140x15, x13, x13

Leg curls
R1: 140x15, 155x15, x15
R2: 140x15, x15, x15

Standing calf raises
R1: 275x15, x15, x15
R2: 275x15, x15, x15

Lat pulldowns
R1: 110x15, 120x15, x12
R2: 110x13, x12

Incline bench
R1: 95x15, x13, x10
R2: 95x15, x13

Side lateral raises
R1: 15's x15, x15, x12
R2: 15's x13

Bicep curls (curl bar)
R1: 45x15, 55x15
R2: 55x15

Cable pushdowns
R1: 120x15, 130x15
R2: 130x15

Notes
Pretty good workout overall. I got burned out on the leg press pretty quick first thing this morning, so I ditched it for leg extensions instead. Quads still got hit pretty hard. Good thing the headache wasn't as bad during this workout, as I said above I think taking 800mg of ibuprofin before helped. I got a little pressed for time near the end of the second rotation, so I had to cut out a few sets on shoulders/arms. No biggie, I think they still got just as depleted as everything else.

Diet - 1400 kcal, meal plan same as yesterday.

kad
11-09-2005, 07:40 AM
AM weight: 184 lbs

Workout
Cardio - 45 minutes fasted stationary bike
Level 5 (125 watts), 15.5 miles, ~90 rpm, 125-130 bpm HR, 319 kcal

Situps
BW x 25 (warmup)

Cable crunches
150 x 15
150 x 15
170 x 15

Hanging vertical leg/hip raises
BW x 20
BW x 7 (started to wobble, quit)

Decline crunches
BW+25 x 10
BW+25 x 10

My right hip flexor was giving me some grief at this point, so I had to call it quits.

Notes
Pretty good workout overall. Cardio performance was great, and my abs are feeling stronger than ever. :windup:

Diet - 1400 kcal, same as the last two days

Goals
I have some goals in mind for the rest of the year as far as lifting is concerned. Saturday's power workouts are a good time to try to increase my lifts since I've been carb and creatine loading for the previous 30 hours, so I generally feel really strong in the gym. I'd like to see my bench at 225 lbs, squat at 275 lbs, and deadlift at 365 lbs by the end of the year. A 10 lb increase per week shouldn't be too difficult. I'm confident I'll nail 195 lbs on the bench and a 245 lb squat this weekend. I might even attempt a 335 lb deadlift on the same day. If not, then definitely next weekend. It'll depend on what I feel like doing on Saturday.

Kiaran
11-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Right on with the goals, j. You'll nail those numbers if you want them. Not sure how progress in weight works while on a cut but you should go for it.

kad
11-10-2005, 07:40 AM
AM weight: 182 lbs

Cardio - 45 minutes fasted stationary bike
Level 5 (125 watts), ~125-130bpm, ~90 rpm, 15.4mi, 335 kcal

I'm not exactly sure if the bikes measure distance in miles or km... but I'm going with miles until I find out otherwise.

Meal Plan
Target is ~70% of my calories from the last few days.
M1: 2 scoops ON 100% whey, 1oz almonds (edit: forgot I ran out of natty pb)
M2: 8oz chicken breast, vegetables, banana
M3: 8oz chicken breast, vegetables, banana

Total: 140p, 52c, 22f, 966 kcal

Tonight
Tonight is the final depletion/tension workout.

Pre-workout: 30g dextrose, 1/2 scoop ON 100% whey, 5g creatine

Post workout: 150g dextrose, 2 scoops ON 100% whey, 5g creatine
M5: same as pwo
M6: same as pwo

Total: 144p, 468c, 6f, 2502 kcal

I'll update later tonight after the workout.

kad
11-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Workout
Final heavy duty depletion/tension workout. 70-85% max for 6-12 reps, stopping one rep short of failure.

Legs
Incline leg press
90 x 8
180 x 8
270 x 8
360 x 6 (PR + 5 reps)

Seated leg curls
190 x 8
250 x 10 (entire stack+50)
250 x 8

Seated leg extensions
290 x 8 (entire stack+50)
290 x 6

Incline calf presses
360 x 10
540 x 12
540 x 12
540 x 12

I really didn't feel like loading any more plates on the thing.

Chest
Flat bench
45 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 8
155 x 6

Incline bench
135 x 8

Back
Seated cable rows
120 x 10
150 x 10
170 x 8

Chins
BW x 8
BW x 6

Shoulders/Arms
Lateral raises
20's x 10
25's x 6
25's x 6

For some reason my left arm wasn't wanting to go up to parallel with the 25's tonight. :windup:

Barbell curls
45 x 6
85 x 2 (PR + 1 rep)
65 x 8
65 x 6

Cable pushdowns
120 x 10
170 x 8
170 x 8

Notes
Tonight's workout was a lot stronger than last Thursday's workout. I couldn't believe I pulled off those PR's. I think my body is finally starting to adapt to carb depletion, since I felt so strong in the gym tonight and my headache hasn't been as bad today. Now it's time for me to carb/creatine load and get rested up for Saturday's power workout. I'm gonna go for a 205 lb bench PR again, and a 245 or 255 lb squat PR. I'll probably swap out squats for deads next weekend and attempt a 335 lb dead PR. I'll post my plans for the carb load below.

kad
11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Carb Load
LBM: 158 lbs (72 kg)
Carb load target: 12-16g carbs/kg of LBM (roughly 1000-1100g carbs)

This evening
post workout: 150g dextrose, 2 scoops ON 100% whey
later on: 1/2 box of pasta, 1 chicken breast, marinara sauce
later on: same thing again

Totals: 140p, 532c, 16f, 2832 kcal

Friday
M1: 1 cup oatmeal (pre cooking), 1 bagel, 4 eggs
M2: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice
M3: 8oz chicken breast, 2 white potatoes
M4: 8oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice
M5: [cheat meal] - 200g carb/10g fat allowance
M6: 2 scoops whey, 1 banana
Supplements: 6 fish oil caps

Totals: 208p, 563c, 58.5f, 3610 kcal
Total for carb load: 532 + 563 = ~1095g carbs

It's not exact, but I'm in the ballpark. I left room to cheat tomorrow in my calculations, because I need to be more careful and not splurge on Saturday night again this weekend. It was more of a psychological thing last time, since I didn't go out on Friday or anything. I don't think it hurt me in the long run, because I still got great results this week.

kad
11-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Workout (Full body power workout)
Legs
Squats
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
245 x 1 (PR + 20 lbs)

SLDL's
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 4+1 (pause at bottom)
275 x 3
275 x 3

Incline calf press
360 x 10
540 x 6
900 x 6 (PR)
900 x 6
900 x 6

Chest
Flat bench
45 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 1
205 x 1 (PR + 20 lbs)

Incline bench
135 x 6
155 x 4 (worn out from flat bench)
155 x 4

Back
Chins (shoulder width grip, palms facing in)
BW x 6
BW x 6
BW x 6

Bent over rows
45 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5

Shoulders/Traps/Arms
Barbell shrugs
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

Standing military press
45 x 10
95 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

DB side lateral raises
20's x 5
25's x 5
25's x 5

DB rear delt raises
20's x 5
35's x 5
35's x 5

Standing barbell curls
45 x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3 (PR + 1 rep)
65 x 5

Close grip bench (thumb width)
45 x 10
115 x 5
135 x 5 (PR + 3 reps)
135 x 5

Notes
Awesome workout. Hit PR's on bench and squat, and several others today. 205 was clean, slow down, slow up, no bouncing or sticking. The guy spotting me said it looked easy. I might go for 225 in a few weeks. Ditto on the squat PR. 245 went down clean, up clean, no sticking. My spotter (a different guy) said it looked easy for me too, and I felt like it was. I thought I had enough left to go for 265, but I failed and he had to drop it on the safety bars. Oh well. I'll probably go for it again in a couple of weeks. For what it's worth, I do everything raw, no belt. I use straps every once in a while for deads, but that's it. I could've used them today, because my calouses started giving me grief during SLDL's, and I had trouble repping more than 3 reps. Oh well. And for those of you wondering how long a workout like this takes, try about 2.5 hours. Good thing I had a 40g dextrose shake to keep me going.

kad
11-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Stats update

Measurements taken cold flexed unless otherwise noted.

(Left, Right)
Arms: 14.25", 14.25"
Forearms: 11.75", 11.75"
Chest: 45"
Quads: 22.75", 22.75"
Calves: 15", 15.5"

I'd say bodyfat is around 13% now. My weight has stayed roughly the same, which is fine with me, because I've put on some muscle. Not too much in the arms and calves, but chest and quads are definitely improving. I hate how my calves are different sizes... I'll have to fix that. I might start doing individual calf exercises. My abs are starting to show more when I flex now, and I'm starting to get the ridge down the middle of my stomach at least. Anyway, this week is my last week of phase 1 of UD2 before I take a break for Thanksgiving. Then it's another 3 weeks for phase 2 before the end of the year.

kad
11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
UD2 Week 3 plan:

I decided to switch things up a bit for the depletion workouts this week. First, I hate using machines. Second, I'm tired of doing full body workouts all week. I need a little variety, so I'm splitting the depletion workout in half. The UD2 book recommends a split of chest/back/shoulders on day 1, and legs/arms/abs on day 2, so I'm going to try it this week. Here's what I've got planned:

Again, the target is 10-12 sets per bodypart with a load of about 60% of 1 rep max.

Day 1 (chest/back/shoulders)
chest:
flat bench (6x12-15)
incline bench (6x12-15)

back:
bent over rows (6x12-15)
lat pulldowns (6x12-15)

shoulders:
military press (5x12-15)
lateral raises (5x12-15)

Day 2 (legs/arms/abs)
legs:
squats (6x12-15)
sldl's (6x12-15)
calf raises (6x12-15)

arms:
barbell curls (5x12-15)
cable pushdowns (5x12-15)

abs:
cable crunches (6x12-15)

I'm gonna try to alternate exercises when I can to get out of the weight room faster, as in do a set of squats, then a set of SLDL's, etc. I'm going to add some cardio in on Monday and Tuesday too if I have time. Probably not right after lifting though, because I have class in the morning.

Diet
Pretty much the same as it has been for depletion. Moderate protein, low fat, low carbs, roughly 1300-1400 kcal. Here's the breakdown:

M1: 1 cup egg beaters, 1 banana
M2: chicken breast, vegetables
M3: chicken breast, vegetables, 1 banana
M4: chicken breast, vegetables
M5: 2 scoops dymatize whey, 1oz almonds
10 fish oil caps throughout the day

totals: 208p, 55c, 36f, 1376 kcal

kad
11-14-2005, 07:49 AM
AM weight: 187.5 lbs

Workout - Depletion - Chest/Back/Shoulders
Flat bench
115 x 15
115 x 13
115 x 10
115 x 6
115 x 8 <- don't know how I managed 2 more reps on these sets, but I did.
115 x 8

Incline bench
95 x 15
95 x 13
95 x 10
95 x 9

Dips
BW x 4 (burnout)
BW x 4 (burnout)

Lat pulldowns
120 x 15
120 x 15
120 x 12
120 x 10
120 x 12 <- ditto
120 x 12

Bent over rows
95 x 15
95 x 15
95 x 15
95 x 13
95 x 13
95 x 13

Could've used a little more weight on these... 115 next time.

Standing military press
45 x 15
65 x 15
65 x 12
65 x 10
65 x 10

DB Side lateral raises
15's x 12
15's x 12
15's x 12
15's x 12
15's x 12
15's x 12

Notes
I already like this split a lot better than the full body workouts I've been doing for depletion. I felt like a total noob running around hitting all the machines twice the last couple of weeks. I'll be sticking with this depletion routine from now on.

kad
11-14-2005, 07:34 PM
ok, i may be a big wuss or something, but whatever. i've had a constant headache since i started ud2 two weeks ago and low carbing it during the week, and i can't take it anymore. i drink plenty of water, between 1-2 gals a day, and i'm eating clean, so i know it has to be the low carb. i guess my body can take it physically, but my brain can't. or something... anyway. i'm taking some time off from anything ultra low carb for a while to let my body return back to normal. i'll still be lifting and doing cardio, and i'll update the journal on a regular basis with my workouts. i'm still pretty much in cutting mode, just going about it more moderately for now. i might implement something along the lines of the maximum muscularity guidelines from rugged magazine. i'll post again later when i decide what to do. for now i'm going to try and get rid of this freaking headache. ud2 has officially kicked my butt. :bang:

Kiaran
11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Don't despair, bro. I would have tossed in the towel on that **** weeks before you did if my head was always hurting. I think it's a good decision for you. Anything that causes headaches/migranes is probably doing more damage than good. I actually applaud you on listening to your body and going with your instincts. Keep focused on a good diet and hitting that iron hard and I think you'll surprise yourself and continue the weight loss.

Also, if you feel like startin it up again too (the ud2), then that's cool too. Doesn't really matter what program you choose (even if it's your own made up thing). Just keep the iron moving :)

kad
11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Kiaran - Thansk bro. I'm still in the game. I will hit my strength goals before the end of the year, dangit. Also, I could care less about losing weight. I'm more interested in bodyfat and seeing abs at this point. After the two weeks I was on UD2, my weight actually stayed the same, but I dropped at least a percent bodyfat, and I gained some muscle, so I'm happy about that. Anyway, I'm gonna shift gears slightly into maintenance/strength mode for the rest of the year. I want those PR's. The cut can wait until later.

kad
11-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Back/Biceps
Chins
BW x 10 (PR)
BW x 10
BW x 8

Deads (raw)
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
335 x 0
335 x 0

I had 335 almost all the way up, but I couldn't lock it out. I came even closer the second time.

Bent over rows
135 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 3 (PR)

Decided to see how heavy I could go on these. It seems my rowing is on par with my bench.

Barbell curls
45 x 5
65 x 5
85 x 4 (PR + 1 rep)
65 x 5
45 x 5

Notes
Pretty good workout. I had tons of energy this aftrernoon after I started eating carbs regularly again, so I put it to some use and set a couple of PR's. It's been a while since the last time I deadlifted, but I expect 335 next week.

kad
11-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm taking today off, since I just lifted for two days straight (even though Monday's workout wasn't that heavy). My lower back's got a little DOMS from deadlifting. I'll probably do some HIIT sprints this afternoon, and legs and abs tomorrow morning. I'm cleaning my diet up and making up a couple of meal plans and sticking with them. My calories will be around 3100 kcal for the rest of the year, which is just above maintenance for me, but I'll be doing just enough cardio so the excess won't matter. I've got a fitday account, and I'm going to get a fitday journal going soon. I just have to get all my food in there.

kad
11-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Cardio, Abs
2 mile track run (not timed)

Decline crunches
BW x 20 (warmup)

Cable crunches
150 x 15
170 x 15
170 x 15

Weighted decline crunches
BW+35 x 10

Not much to say about this workout. Chest/Shoulders/Triceps tomorrow morning.

kad
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

warmup - 3 minutes bike @ 90rpm

Flat bench press
45 x 10
95 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 4
205 x 1
185 x 3

DB incline bench
40's x 5
50's x 5
65's x 3
55's x 5

Dips
BW x 9
BW+25 x 3 (PR)

Close grip bench (thumb width)
135 x 5
135 x 4

Cable pushdowns
170 x 10 (entire stack :rolleyes: )
170 x 7

Side lateral raises
20's x 10

Standing military press
45 x 5
135 x 0
115 x 0

My shoulders just weren't feeling up to it today. I don't know what I was thinking jumping straight from the bar to 135 on the military with nothing in between. Oh well. I was pushed for time anyway, so I called it quits.

Notes
This was probably the best chest workout I've had in a long time. I finally decided to do some heavier sets at 185. I felt like I could've repped more than 4 if I hadn't done so many sets at 155. Next time I'm going to drop the 95x10 warmup set and break the 135x10 into two sets of 5, and drop the sets at 155 down to 1 and concentrate on my heavy sets at 185. I'll probably take a shot at 225 after Thanksgiving. I haven't incline benched with dumbbells in ages... I was surprised at my strength on these. I felt like I could've repped more than 3 with the 65's, but my arms gave out. Oh well. Dips were also good. Again, strength is improving here. I grabbed a belt and did some weighted dips, and I liked it. I'll have to keep doing those. I might start doing some weighted chins for my next back workout too. Legs on Saturday, going to attempt a 265 lb squat PR.

My sleeping pattern is improving. I've only been getting 6 hours a night or so, but I didn't have to go to class this morning so I slept in and got 9 hours of sleep. That felt great. Diet is also getting back to normal, and cleaner. I'm still bumping my calories up to maintenance level. Yesterday was about 2800 kcal, so I'm getting close. I'll have the fitday going sometime this week.

kad
11-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Finally finished putting all my food in my fitday account. I entered in all the food I had today, so here's today's calories to start things off:

Total: 3424
Fat: 92 826 26%
Sat: 15 137 4%
Poly: 8 72 2%
Mono: 10 90 3%
Carbs: 331 1243 39%
Fiber: 21 0 0%
Protein: 288 1150 36%

And the link (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=jmevatt) to my fitday page. It's going in my sig too.

kad
11-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Today's an off day from lifting. I'm doing HIIT sprints at the track this afternoon. I might post results later.

Sleep: 4 hours :(

Fitday for today:
Total: 2976
Fat: 89 797 29%
Sat: 15 131 5%
Poly: 8 72 3%
Carbs: 260 962 35%
Fiber: 19 0 0%
Protein: 253 1012 37%

domahmegok
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Today's an off day from lifting. I'm doing HIIT sprints at the track this afternoon. I might post results later.

Sleep: 4 hours :(

Fitday for today:
Total: 2976
Fat: 89 797 29%
Sat: 15 131 5%
Poly: 8 72 3%
Carbs: 260 962 35%
Protein: 253 1012 37%
On your calorie thing posted at the bottom it says 2976cals total does that mean you ate 3k cals already by 12pm? thats sickenly awsome. how did you do it? or is it ur goal for today?

I noticed you have about the same stats as me except im a little fatter(195lb) and younger 21yr. and your workouts are alot more intense than mine. Where do you usually work out?

kad
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM
That's what I will be eating today from morning until I go to bed. I generally plan my meals out in advance. Today will go something like this:

M1: 1 cup grits, 2 cups egg whites
- 1x AST multi
- 4x ETS
- 400mg ALA
- 1000mg vitamin C, 400IU vitamin E, 1x vitamin B complex
M2: 8oz chicken breast, salad, red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil, 4x fish oil caps
M3: 8oz lean beef, vegetables, 2T natty pb, 4x fish oil caps
M4: 50g dextrose, 1 scoop dymatize whey (post HIIT sprints)
- 400mg ALA
M5: 1 cup brown rice, 8oz chicken breast, maybe vegetables (not counted)
M6: 2 scoops dymatize whey, 2T natty pb, 4x fish oil caps
- 4x ETS
- 400mg ALA
- 1000mg vitamin C, 400IU vitamin E, 1x vitamin B complex

I eat vegetables with my meals 2-3 times a day, usually the salad and with another meal or two.

I work out at my university's fitness center (on campus). It's free for students with an ID, and has most of the equipment full blown gyms would. It's pretty nice.

I started lifting in March '05 at 212 lbs, 28-30% bodyfat. Right now I'm 187 lbs, and around 13% bodyfat. My squat and deadlift have improved the most since I first started training. I remember struggling to get 135x10 for squats back in March. I don't really remember what my deadlift was like then, but probably just as weak. I've seen the most improvement in my lifts in the last 3 months I've been training since I stopped cutting and got serious about eating. Now that I'm working more on strength than anything, I plan on a 1200 total for next year. :)

kad
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I got in 10 minutes worth of HIIT sprints this afternoon between my last class and a meeting. Not as much as I would've liked, but I didn't have time for any more. I also skipped out on meal 5 and went out to Applebee's with my girlfriend. I had steak, shrimp, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. Pretty good stuff, and not too heavy. I can't wait to hit legs hard tomorrow.

kad
11-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Legs/Shoulders

Warmup: 2 minutes bike @ 90rpm

Squats
45 x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
265 x 1 (PR + 20lbs)

SLDL's
45 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 4
245 x 2
275 x 5
275 x 1 <- ...
315 x 0 <- ditto

Nautilus standing calf raises
275 x 10
395 x 10 (entire stack)
395 x 10

Standing military press
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 0 :(

Upright rows
45 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 4
95 x 5

I decided to throw in some upright rows today... I don't normally do them, because I read an article once at BB.com that said upright rows and behind the neck presses/pulldowns were bad for your shoulders, because of the type of internal rotation. Has anyone else heard of this? Here's the link (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru26.htm) if anyone's interested.

Notes
Not a bad workout. I hit a squat PR, which was cool. I was going to throw in a single at 225 after my sets of 205, but I thought I'd have a better chance at 265 if I didn't. Maybe it helped, maybe not. I'll be able to hit 275 easily by the end of the year at this rate, maybe more. My military press is getting stronger too, but I still had trouble repping 135 for a single. Maybe next time. My hams and glutes were not up to deads today though. That was frustrating. I think running this week wore them out.

I'm taking next week off from lifting, because Thanksgiving break is on Thursday and Friday, so I'll be at home for the weekend after classes on Wednesday. I need to let my legs get rested up, because I need to start repping 315 with deads if I'm going to hit my goal by the end of the year. I'll probably move my heavy squat sets up to 225 as well.

Diet
Fitday plan for today:
source grams cals %total
Total: 3310
Fat: 89 801 26%
Sat: 16 140 4%
Poly: 8 72 2%
Carbs: 308 1134 36%
Fiber: 24 0 0%
Protein: 299 1196 38%

Sleep - 8 hours

domahmegok
11-19-2005, 07:57 PM
good work on the squat pr, at this rate you def hit 275 by end of year

bschatz88
11-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Nice squatting bro

kad
11-19-2005, 10:47 PM
domahmegok, bschatz88: Thanks guys!

Coke
11-20-2005, 05:07 AM
I love me some Applebees too dude, damn good food...the 20lb jump on the squats is sweet, nice effort all around.

kad
11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
CoCoa - Yeah Applebees is one of my favorites. Thanks for the kind words and for dropping by my journal!

kad
11-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Stats update
AM weight - 187 lbs

All measurements taken cold flexed.

Wrist: 6.75" (um, not flexed)
Neck: 16.5"
Chest: 44.5"
Upper arms: 14.5"/14.5" (Left/Right)
Forearms: 11.75"/11.75" (Left/Right)
Waist: 35"/37.5" (Flexed/Relaxed)
Hips: 38.5"
Thighs: 22.5"/22.5" (Left/Right)
Calves: 15.25"/15.5" (Left/Right)

I must have still had a chest pump going last weekend when I measured, because it's down a half an inch to where it was the week before that. Oh well. At least my arms are catching up. Hopefully they'll be over 15" by the end of the year. Bodyfat is still around 13%, according to an online calculator. I need to get me some calipers sometime to get more accurate measurements.

I'm glad I decided to take this week off, because I tweaked my lower back yesterday doing deads. It was hurting all day, and it's been hurting all day today too. I'll be ready to push the deadlift weight up next time I'm in the gym, because I'm slacking in that department.

kad
11-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually. My lower back is almost back to normal. I blame ETS for this.

So I might end up lifting tomorrow and Tuesday anyway. We'll see. I don't feel like taking a whole week off anyway. 5 days away from the gym this weekend will be hard enough.

Diet today was ok. I didn't track calories...

Sleep last night - 7 hours

Kiaran
11-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Lookin' good in here, man. You will for sure hit your goals for this year, if not more. Great job with everything! Legs are lookin stronger everytime I stop by.

kad
11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Kiaran - Thanks bud. It'll be an all out race after Thanksgiving for sure, since I've only got 3 solid weeks of lifting before Christmas break. Maybe 4. I'll need to bust out a deadlift PR every week from here on out. :eek:

kad
11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
11-22-05
Off day...

I decided to take the whole week off. I've got a lot going on in classes right now, and not enough time to lift. That, and I'll be at home and away from the gym for 4 days this weekend anyway.

Sleep - 7 hours last night, 2.5 hour nap this afternoon. :D

Fitday:
source grams cals %total
Total: 2958
Fat: 96 864 31%
Sat: 14 126 5%
Poly: 12 108 4%
Mono: 14 126 5%
Carbs: 216 744 27%
Fiber: 30 0 0%
Protein: 285 1140 41%

kad
11-25-2005, 06:22 PM
11-25-05

Still at home with my family for the break. I helped my dad with some yardwork today at a house he's been fixing up to sell. I said I wasn't going to do any training this week, but I still managed to get in a set of chinups while hanging off the bucket of a front loader :rolleyes:. Man I can't wait to get back into the gym next week.

Kiaran
11-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Ghetto chins...nice! Rest is good, iron is better :D Prepare to hit it hard, bro.

Coke
11-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Ghetto chins...nice!

So that's what those were, lol...I really appreciated the fact that you're working hard at school and with Pops - ;)

kad
11-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Cardio - 30 minutes AM fasted stationary bike
~90 rpm, level 5 resistance
10.3 miles, 213 kcal

Back/Biceps
Barbell deadlifts
45 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5 (straps after this point)
265 x 5
275 x 5
335 x 1 (PR + 10 lbs)
355 x 1 (PR + 30 lbs)

My calouses were giving me some grief about halfway through deads, so I decided to wear straps. Much to my surprise, I repped 355 today. After I repped 335, too.

Barbell bent over rows
45 x 10
95 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5

Barbell shrugs
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 5

For some reason, I ignored the laws of physics and gravity and took all 3 plates off one side before I went to the other. *WHAM* The bar shot up and the weights fell on the floor on the other side of the squat rack safety bars, with the bar standing straight up off the ground. Luckily there wasn't anyone standing between the squat racks. Needless to say, I felt pretty dumb. Oh well. :rolleyes:

CG chinups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Barbell curls
45 x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
65 x 5

Taking the week off did me a lot of good. My back felt strong and ready to take on a heavy workout the first day back in the gym. Tomorrow is chest and triceps!

Sleep - 6 hours :(

Diet
source grams cals %total
Total: 2995
Fat: 94 848 30%
Sat: 12 108 4%
Poly: 10 86 3%
Mono: 12 104 4%
Carbs: 229 841 30%
Protein: 277 1106 40%

harv
11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Great looking deads man...congrats on the PR's!!

Coke
11-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Awesome pr with the deads JME, good workout overall - like the morning 1/2hr. cardio on the bike bro.

kad
11-29-2005, 07:18 AM
harv, CoCoa - Thanks guys! :)

AM cardio - 30 minutes interval rowing on the erg machine
6087 meters, 3.4m/s average speed
124 watts average power, 367 kcal

I've gotta get me some more Thermocin. I swear I gained an inch on my waist and 2 pounds of fat last week... :windup:

Anyway, I just wanted to get those numbers up before I forgot them. I'll post again later this evening with my chest/triceps workout.

Decline crunches
BW x 20
BW+25 x 12
BW+45 x 10

Cable crunches
170 x 15
170 x 15
170 x 15

Edit: Forgot to post the ab workout after cardio...

domahmegok
11-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Damn your Deads are getting strong quick. keep it up and by xmas break i think u will have 405 easy

kad
11-29-2005, 02:06 PM
domahmegok - Thanks man. My original goal for deads this year was actually 365, but last week I decided to drop it down to 335 since I tweaked my lower back. I came back strong this week and nailed 355, so who knows. Maybe 405 is within reach. :)

kad
11-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Chest/Triceps

Warmup - 2 minutes stationary bike @ 90rpm

BB flat bench
45 x 10
95 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 4
175 x 5
175 x 4
155 x 8

I guess we have our good ones and our bad ones. That sucked.

DB incline bench
40's x 5
50's x 5
50's x 5
50's x 5
55's x 5
55's x 5

Dips
BW x 5
BW+25 x 4
BW+35 x 3

BB close grip bench
135 x 5
135 x 1

At this point I was thinking forget that.

Cable pushdowns
170 x 10
170 x 8

Notes
I don't know what was up with the bench today. I wanted to go for 225, but I gave up on that idea after I could barely rep 185x4. Hopefully next week will be better. I want to be able to get at least a few sets of 185x5 in before I attempt 225. Man I want 2pps so bad. The rest of the workout was ok... close grip bench sucked, because my triceps were nearly toast. I need to eat more.

Sleep - 6.5 hours

Diet -
source grams cals %total
Total: 2798
Fat: 87 779 29%
Sat: 10 86 3%
Poly: 17 153 6%
Mono: 13 117 4%
Carbs: 234 888 33%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 256 1024 38%

Coke
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Super ab work prior to the nice chest and tricep effort, its all hills and valleys but you did damn good imo Jordan.