PDA

View Full Version : mind to muscle

mattanshrager
08-27-2005, 09:23 AM
when doing big lifts, i do the whole deal where you make a storm in your head and just kind of forget your living on earth and the only thing that exists is you and the weight. and i breathe deep before the lift caus psychologically (and maybe realistically) it makes me think my muscles are being filled up w/ oxygen.

what am i doing wrong? what am i doing right?

antor
08-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Easy on the crack !!! just kidding. Thinking about the mistakes I have made in life get me in the mood to push more weight. Itīs best to life with without regrets. but Usefull to remember those during a workout.

Gutz981
08-27-2005, 09:58 AM
If thats how you fire up...then do it! I personally walk around the gym cussing my ass off having my buddies slap me a few chalk up and hit it

fixationdarknes
08-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Here's a similarly related thread which has my comments in the first post: http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68381

jack_of_all
08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
if i ever try to use my mind to help me lift it, i eventually think to myself "thats a hell of a lot of weight" and then no amount of motivation could possibley help me. i do have something of a dl ritual though.

i clear my mind, yawn, get up next to the bar, lean over and grip it. then i push my knees forward and move them side to side while coming up on the balls of my feet (essentially, everything i would never do when actually doing a dl), i pull them back into the proper position, put my heels on the ground, and hold everything good and still, then i drop my hips down, arch my back, take a deep breath, and from here i just focus on getting it out of the bottom because if i get it to my knees i can lock it out.

fixationdarknes
08-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Same here jack. I have no problem with locking out. The bottom is hardest.

BG5150
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by a storm? But I firmly believe that for your working sets you should definitely visualize moving the weight before you start. To me, it's almost like another warmup set.

And breathing deep before the lift--great idea. Get as much O into ya as you can.