PDA

View Full Version : The eye of the tiger

furious
08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted here, and since then much has changed in my life. However, I am still working towards a better physique and after two successful fitness shoots in May, I have basically maintained throughout the summer.

While I have added muscle to my physique, my chest and my legs in particular are still lacking, and so I have finally made the decision to devote time to adding neccesary muscle to both.

Today is the first day of my new bulk, and I am posting my diet/vitals/nutritional information below. I will update inadvertainly, and I hope to enjoy my progress.

PreBulk Stats:

Height: 5'8
Weight: 152lbs
Bodyfat: 8-9%
Biceps: 15
chest: 38
rest: not sure.

End goal:

1. Physical. To be in the best shape of my life by my 24th birthday (December 9th). On this date, and beyond, I will conduct several photos, which will lead to aquisition of a fitness agent to usher in my evolution as a model.

2. Mental. To progress in both my professional and social life by striking a balance between the two. Both confidence and professional connections will be aquired through increased networking, while simultanieously, my capacity for concentration will be increased; With the end result being a balanced and healthy lifestyle.

Dietary Changes: Moderate carbohydrates

Hypocaloric days (Sat/Sun/Tues/Thursday):
152x 20= 3200 calories
40% carbs= 1200 cals
50% protein= 1300 protein
10% fat= 200 cals

Hypercaloric days (Mon/Wed/Fri):
152x12= 1800
70% protein: 1200
15% carbs= 300 carbs
15% fat= 300 fat

Total Weekly Calories: 18200

Workout Schedule:

Tuesday/Saturday: Upperbody
Thursday/Sunday: Lowerbody

Built
08-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey there - this looks unusual!

What's the deal with the hypocaloric days for a bulk, and why are both your hyper and hypo caloric days so low in fat?

cphafner
08-27-2005, 08:51 PM
good luck furious. You looked like you were in awesome shape in your old photos. I can't imagine what kind of shape would be the best of your life!

furious
08-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Day #1:

Training observations:

I feel as if the first day got off to a solid start. After several weeks on the UD 2.0 setup, I just wanted to lift normally again, and I feel the return to carbohydrates will be a welcome change.

I ma looking foward to adding quality muscle in the most efficient manner possible.

Diet:

8 am (Preworkout): 1 can Romulan Beans+ 1 can albacore tuna
11:30 am (post workout): 40g whey protein
12 :00 am: 2 cans black eyed peas+ 1 can albacore tuna
2:00 pm: 1 can albacore tuna
5 pm: 1 can black eyed peas+ 1 can albacore tuna
7 pm (post workout): 40g whey protein
8:00: 2 cans albacore tuna+ 1 can black eyed peas

Total calories: 3200
Total Carbs: 1500 (40%)
Total protein: 1500 (40%)
Total fat: 250 (20%)

Why so many beans?

Given that I have been in a carbohydrate deprived dietary state for a considerable length of time, I have chosen to reintroduce highly fiborous- low gi carbs to hopefully limit storage of adipose tissue. Perhaps this is wishful thinking, however i can think of no better carb than my beloved legumes, and being from the south, this is an ideal excuse to consume excess quantities of one of my favorite foods: blackeyed peas.

Workout:

AM Workout (Chest/Back/biceps):

Chest:

Flat bench: 135 10x
220 2x
215 3x
195 6x
185 5x

Incline dumbbells: 80 6x
70 10x
70 10x

Dumbbell Pullovers: 55 10x
55 10x

Machine flys: 140 15x
140 15x

Back:

Overhand Barbell rows: 150 6x
145 6x

Underhand barbell rows: 150 5x
145 6x

Lat Pulldowns: 160 4x
160 4x

Bodyweight pullups: 8x
8x

Dumbbell rows: 55 15x
55 15x

Biceps:

Dumbbell bicep curls: 40 3x
40 3x

Standing barbell curl: 95 5x
85 7x
60 15x
60 15x

PM Workout (triceps/shoulders/traps):

Shoulders:

Military press: 170 3x
3x
155 6x
6x

Dumbell Overhead press: 75 6x
6x
5x
Dumbbell rows: 40 6x
6x

Military press: 95 15x
15x

Bent over dumbbell rows: 35 6x
6x

Behind the back military press: 105 15x
15x

Traps:

barbell shrugs: 195 4x
3x
3x
175 6x

Dumbbell shrugs: 90 8x
8x
55 15x
15x

Triceps:

Skullcrushers: 125 3x
3x
105 6x
6x
100 8x

Rope pulldowns: 90 8x
7x
Overhead extensions: 45 15x
13x
Dips (bodyweight): 12x
12x

furious
08-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Hey,

Thanks for your interest and support.

My justifacation for hyper and hypocaloric days, instead of eating 500 calories above maintainence daily, are to center my higher calorie days (1200+ in excess) around the workouts for my lower and upper body. By concentrating the majority of my carbohydrates around pre/post workout nutrition, I hope to maximise anabolic uptake, and minimise storage of adipose tissue.

My hypocaloric days, which occur in slight caloric deficit, are lower in carbohydrates and occur on days when I am less active. These days adjust for the excess of the previous day of lifting, hopefully will allow my body sufficient time to recover while remaining in caloric surplus.

Please feel free to post any questions/comments. I look foward to your contributions to my thread.

Built
08-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I do the same thing with targeting my carbs and calories toward my lifting days. I just don't go as low during a bulk. But I might. It sounds like a good idea.

Are you at all concerned with going into a protein oxidative state with your fats and carbs so low on your hypo days?

furious
08-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Not really. This is just a set point and I can adjust my carbs as neccesary. In terms of fat, I neglected to list my supps (because there are a ton), but I take 8g of fish oil every day regardless of my nutritional goals, keeping my fat at sufficient maintainence levels.

Built
08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Hmmmm...200-300 cals from fat means 22 - 33g of fat. Even adding in the 8g from fish oil doesn't bring you up to even a minimally sufficient amount of fat for optimal endocrine function at your weight.

Have you done this type of dieting before?

furious
08-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I havent. Ive done UD 2.0, and experimented with several diets, but this is something completely new to me, so I am looking foward to giving it a go.

In terms of the fat, I can adjust as neccesary, but after a ketogenic diet high in fat, frankly too much makes me sick. Again, I can readjust as neccesary.

furious
08-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Day #2:

Training observations:

Ah, leg day. There is nothing quite like waking up to the prospect of blasting my quads after a breakfast of gravey, and black eyes peas. Alright, so perhaps I am a tad enthusiastic, but looking in the mirror this morning, my arms and shoulders in particular looked vascular and striated. Sure, my abs didnt look quite as visible, but I am just happy to be growing again.

I pulled my back last week working my legs, so my workout got out to a cautious started. I generally begin with lunges, but today I started on the hack squat for the heaviest reps for my quads. Next, came the roadtest for my back, the dreaded straight legged deadlift. But from the first rep, I knew I was fine and I flew through my workout from there.

Overall, I felt good energy and was happy with my performance, though I must, say I am still waiting for the workout that renders my legs unable to walk. No matter what I try, my legs never seem to to visibly fatigue, but they definetly grow, so I cant complain.

Diet:

8 am (Preworkout): 1 can black eyed peas + 2 tblspns gravey
12 :00 am: 2 cans black eyed peas+ 1 can albacore tuna 1tblspn gravey
2:00 pm: 1 can albacore tuna + 1 can black eyed peas

Why Chicken Gravey?

Why else....because it is good!

Workout:

AM Workout (quads/glutes/hams/calves):

Quads:

Hack Squat: 450 3x
3x
400 6x
5x

Static dumbbell lunges: 80 6x
5x
60 8x
8x
Leg press: 250 10x
12x

Hams/Quads:

SLDL: 225 3X
3X
200 6X
6X

Morningstars: 65 6x
6x
55 8x
7x

Single leg hamstring curl: 50 10x
40 13x

Calves: Sitting Calf press: 235 3x
3x

Standing calf raises: 435 8x
8x
8x

furious
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Note: Due to my busy schedule during the week, I only plan to update this on training days (Tues, Thurs, Weekend)

Day #3 Training observations:

Alright, so I have been consuming carbs for 4 days straight, and I have noticed a few things.

#1: A noticeable loss in vascularity

I attribute this mostly to added water and muscle glycogen- at least this is what I am telling myself. I realise that by reintroducing carbs in this manner, I will likely regain some fat, but I am hoping it will make my cut more effective.

#2: TuT kicks ass.

While my other bodyparts have consistently grown, my chest has lagged behind. Changes in training volume and reps had proven ineffective, until I read about TuT. By forcing me to concentrate on proper form, pausing during each rep actually brought noticeable burn. Granted this is only the second day, but my chest already looks bigger in the mirror, and if I can add a few inches, this bulk will have been a success.

#3: Fiber seems to inhibite the release of seratonin:

I am not sure if it is my diet of strictly legumes (8+ grams of fiber per serving) but they dont seem to have the same affect as oats on my mental state. When refeeding on oats during UD 2.0, I would always experience a noticeable shift in my happiness and concentration. Not so with black eyed peas. I am not sure if it is my diet of strictly legumes (8+ grams of fiber per serving) but they dont seem to have the same affect as oats on my mental state.

Despite these hinderances, I am still pleased with my diet/progress. My shoulders in particular, seem to be benefitting from my workouts. I feel as if I growing, and while it is too early to say for sure, I will know more in a week or so.

Diet:

8 am (Preworkout): 1 can black eyed peas+ 1 can albacore tuna
12 :00 am: 2 cans black eyed peas+ 1 can albacore tuna
2:00 pm: 1 can albacore tuna
7 pm (post workout): 2 cans albacore tuna+ 1 can black eyed peas

AM Workout (Chest/Back/biceps):

Chest:

Flat bench: 135 10x
220 2x
215 3x
195 6x
185 5x

Incline dumbbells: 80 6x
70 10x
70 10x

Dumbbell Pullovers: 55 10x
55 10x

Machine flys: 140 15x
140 15x

Back:

Overhand Barbell rows: 150 6x
145 6x

Underhand barbell rows: 150 5x
145 6x

Lat Pulldowns: 160 4x
160 4x

Bodyweight pullups: 8x
8x

Overhead pulldowns: 165 10x
10x

Biceps:

Dumbbell bicep curls: 35 7x
6x

Standing barbell curl: 95 5x
85 7x

PM Workout (triceps/shoulders/traps):

Shoulders:

Military press: 170 3x
3x
155 6x
6x

Machine overhead press (1 armed): 195 5x
175 7x
155 10x

Dumbbell rows: 40 6x
6x

Military press: 95 15x
15x

Bent over dumbbell rows: 35 6x
6x

Machine rows: 140 8x
140 8x

Traps:

barbell shrugs: 195 4x
3x
3x
175 6x

Dumbbell shrugs: 90 8x
8x
80 10x
70 10x

Triceps:

Skullcrushers: 125 3x
105 6x
100 8x

Revergrip bench: 135 6x
5x

Rep pulldowns: 70 8x
8x
Dips (bodyweight): 12x

furious
09-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Training observations:

First, to all that follow this log (echo), allow me to apologise for not updating sooner. The last few days have been rather up and down since partially straining my back on Tuesday (leg day). Having done this twice now in quick succession, I am impressed with my resolve to keep on working out, yet disturbed with my stupidity.

Tuesday: Pain

Pushing for a new 3 rep max on the SLDL, I had two distinct opportunities to cease. The first rep hurt, but it could have been stiffness, but by the shooting pain from second rep, there could be no doubt. "Ive got this" I thought to myself letting to weight hit the ground. Counting to three, I took a deep breath, summoned all my strength, and keeled over in pain.

Needless to say, the rest of my workout was confined to the leg press, and calf raises, however it was a great workout. My legs are now my favorite bodypart, and before my untimely injury I was doing static lunges with 80lbs dumbbells (my new favorite exercise)

Proper form:

I must first express a rant. The gym I workout in is fillers. And when I say fillers, I mean the guys that are there to take up space. You know the type, the guys that take up machines, bounce bars off their chest, and arch their backs hopelessly while curling. They hit the gym 5 days a week, yet their bodies never change. Why? ****ty form.

So in contrast to past bulks, the main element I have concentrated on over reps and sets, is proper form. I now time evvery set, and rest period, allowing me to establish a rythmn which not onlt puts my muscles under continous tension, but dramatically cuts down on my time in the gym.

By starting with my heaviest sets ( 2-5 reps), and longest time under tension (4 seconds down/ 1 up), and then moving up in reps and tapering off my time under tension I am able to train all three types of muscle fibers- as opposed to before when i stuck to heavier sets only. I must report that, so far, this combination has given me noticeably better burn, as well as lingering soreness which I precieve to be a positive sign.

Diet update: Breaking writer's block

In perhaps the biggest change, I have decided on Thursday to reintroduce oats in to my diet. Why? A) Becuase they are good and B) They seem to be better at repleteing blood glucose. A some of you know from the question I posted over on the health board, I had been experincing mental fatigue and in particular, writer's block as of late. I initially attributed this to my carb depletion, however even after introducing black eyed peas, the fog seemed to persist. Analysing every possibility, I found that since I dropped oats, and certain vitamins, my cognitive functions have been noticeably impared. And like magic, after carb loading on oats, and mega dosing on vitamin b6, my ability to write returned that very day.

I now have a new appreciation for both writing and bodybuilding, and haveI spent days since writing, working out, and writing about working out. Sure, I may gain a bit more fat as a result, but it is a small price to pay for the returned of the voice inside my head.

I will essentially be keeping the same routine/diet for two week incriments, so To save space, I am including only my dietary and workout changes below. I will be better about updating this log in the future, and I hope you enjoy.

Changes:

Dietary changes as of Thursday:

(Bulking days)

8 am (Preworkout): 1 can black eyed peas + 1 can tuna
12 :00 am: 2 cups oats+ 1 can albacore tuna 1tblspn gravey
2:00 pm: 1 can albacore tuna + 1 cup oats

Workout Changes:

Upper:

Bench:

3x max: 225lbs + 5lbs

Dumbbells:

8-10 reps: 90lbs (+5)

Shoulders:

Military press

3x max: 185 (+10lbs)

Upright rows:

6-8 reps: 85lbs (+5lbs)

Biceps:

Standing Curl:
3x max: 110lbs (+5lbs)

furious
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Welcome back everyone. Week #3 of my journey to buffness brought both encouraging answers and ominous questions. First, and perhaps most encouraging, I am definetly growing. But this also raises an interesting question. The results I have derived make me hungry for more, and just hungry in general (I ate 3 cups of oats in one sitting yesterday). As a former fat kid, I have always panicked and bailed out when I got above a certain weight. But I am also a creature of excess, and it leads me to wonder how far I am willing to go.

Training:

In the gym and amoungst friends my friends (Who have the colective attention span of a knat), I have recieved several comments that my chest (Sweet!) looks bigger. Most noticeable I have noticed increased "pump" or vascularity in my chest/front dealts and arms. In a minor alteration to my training, I have split these body parts(chest/back/shoulders/biceps) in to a day un to themselves, and added traps and triceps on my leg days. I find this change is more time efficient, and also increases the overall workload of similar bodyparts. I am considering splitting up my upper body portion in to 2aday workouts to save time. I will let you know by next week.

Nutrition:

As a confessed glutton, this part of my plan is always the downfall. Even after all these years in the gym, I still posess a weakness for diet. Despite slight overeating on good things (oats, tuna, etc), I have been good for the most part. But even while I can justify this while I am bulking (in order to prime my metabolism), cutting should be an interesting dilemma. Due to time constraints, I often find myself eating 3 bowls of oats at one sitting, which used to make me almost sick, but now makes me hungry. Towards the end of my plan, I must find some method of deconditioning my tastebuds to adapt to my bulk.

Suppliments:

No matter the case however, I will be careful and spare no expense in successfully achieveing my goals. To that end, I have decided to add creatine (VPX CEX), and Scivation Sesamin-- a sesame seed oil lignent that increases oxidation of fatty acid.

Tr

Measurements:

It has been two weeks, and in terms of mass gain, I have seen positive changes most visibly in my calves and shoulders. While I have been prioritising my chest, it seems to have grown the least (albeit some). Most bodyparts however has experienced at least a slight increase, which are listed below.

Measurement Increases (as of 9/11/05):
Shoulders= 1 inch
Chest= 1/2 inch
Arms= 1/2 inch
Calves= 1/2 inch
Quads= 1/2 inch
Waist= 0 (damn)

Training changes/increases:

Legs:

Dumbbell Lunges:
90lbs= 6 reps
increase: +5lbs

Hack Squat:
450lbs= 3 reps
increase: +25

Shoulders:
Machine Shoulder press:
230lbs= 3reps
increase: +5

Chest:
Bench:
225lbs= 3 reps (WEAK)
increase= 1 rep

Triceps (New Split):

Individual rope pulldowns:

60lbs= 2 reps
50lbs= 3 reps

Reverse Grip Bench:

135lbs= 7 reps
125 8 reps
110= 10 reps

Dips:

Bodyweight= 13 reps

furious
09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Midway to eight weeks:

I know it has been a while, but I am coming up on the midway point in my bulk. In this time, below are a few observations:

Carbohydrate Sloth:
Since the reintroducing of carbs (oats, and legumes) in to my diet, I have noticed an up surge in mood, productivity and mood. I am thoroughly convinced oats are the greatest bulking food ever conceived-which I often enjoy 3 bowls at a time.

Areas of positive development: Legs, delts, chest, shoulders:

In terms of overall development, the right parts are growing. All areas listed above were lagging behind somewhat, but are all ahead by at least 1/4 of an inch. The reintroduction of a shoulder press machine seems to have brough out increased striation in my middle delts. With a wider grip and adherence to TOT, my chest is growing noticeably. For my calves and quads, I have been focusing on strict form, with the dumbbell lunge and hack squat being the cornerstones of my routine.

Training changes: Supplements, training scheme:

While I have stuck with the foods in my diet, I have pay little attention to portions, which has facilitated the need for justification in the form of Sesamin-- a lignant oil that claims to increased fatty acid oxidation. While questions remain over it's physical effectiveness, it's placebo effect alone is enough for me. For strength, I have also introduced VPX CEX (a Creatine + arginine mix) which has led to increased vascularity throughout my body.

In terms of training, I have continued to vary up my workout ( exercises, rep scheme and frequncy). I began with shorter workouts split between low, and middle range sets. But beginning in week 4 I have reverted to a german volumish split-- By concentrating on higher volume, fewer machines, and more compound movements. I am hoping the switch to volume, rather than intensity per say, will shock a few more inches out of them.

Midpoint Stats:

Height: 5'8
Weight: 160lbs
Bodyfat: 8-9%
Biceps: 15
chest: 38

Goals and adaptions for next 4 weeks:

My primary goal for this bulk is to reach 170lbs. That should add 3-5 quality pounds of lean mass to my overall frame, and represent successful 8 weeks. Some challanges I face include keeping my fat down, and figuring out the best rep scheme for my body. My training split will also change from 2 upper/low body workouts a week, to 2 lower/3 upper-- representing the addition of a day of full bodywork.

Current Workout listed below:

Bodypart: Chest:

Exercise: Flat Bench Press:

Weight: 225
Sets: 2
Reps: 3-2

Weight: 165lbs
Reps: 10-8
Sets: 5

Exercise: Incline Bench:

Weight: 160lbs
sets: 5