PDA

View Full Version : What foods are "safe" (nothing processed or chemically modified) ?

SkinnySadMan
08-29-2005, 02:22 AM
Well, in our modern world lots of the food we eat are packed with chemicals and other stuff. Sorry but I really don't know much about this stuff. But anyways which foods are most likely to be "chemically altered or processed" ?

My food choices:

1. White rice -- I buy the ones in the BIG sack, not the "Minute Rice" packes.
2. Fish Fillets -- Are they processed (how do they make them into boneless FILLETS)?
3. Sometimes I actually buy REAL fish, like the head and eyes are still there, and I'd have to take out all the intestines before cooking (hehehe). But again theres this "mercury poisoning".
4. Pasta
5. Canned corned beef
6. Beef (stake/sirloin, etc. the ones in the plastic foam tray with plastic wrap from your local grocery store) -- I heard all cows (where we get our beef) is also chemically enhanced or something ?
7. How about those already sliced up Turkey/ham/Chicken for your sandwhiches ?

dissipate
08-29-2005, 03:49 AM
i think how you can tell if something is processed or not is if it is natural or not... like an apple isn't processed... applesauce is slightly processed... an apple pie is processed. get it?

Spartan936
08-29-2005, 01:50 PM
If you're a skinny sad man, skinnysadman, then don't worry so much. Dissipate is right (as always). You can tell if something is truly messed with. Look at the ingredients and the packaging.

Your food choices are fine. If you are really paranoid, make your own sandwiches. And I suggest buying brown rice. Look at the thread "what a bodybuilder eats". All of the foods there are good.

EAT! Eat so much that it makes others vomit.

malkore
08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
canned corned beef: processed

ditch the white rice for brown rice - more fiber, lower glycemic index, and I think it steams nicer...less sticky...but I also only buy long grain brown rice, never medium or short.

SkinnySadMan
08-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I actually use to buy brown rice, I got tired of it, didn't quite suit my taste :/ Damn.... and I read somewhere that Corned Beef is actually one of the foods you should love if bulking, or Corned Beef Hash.

dissipate
08-29-2005, 11:55 PM
er spart i'm not always right lol.

i prefer brown rice to white rice and it is better, but i'm the only one in the family eating it.. and in small amounts.. so it's easier to just eat my mom's white rice. there have been a couple of posts around here about the GI of white rice not being that different from brown rice. GI is also affected by food combination....

if you need food suggestions, read the 'what a bodybuilder eats' sticky :)

bulking and corned beef... depends on your bulking goals.. whether you want to keep it clean

djreef
08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
white rice is also chemically bleached.

DJ

Spartan936
08-30-2005, 10:10 PM
I actually use to buy brown rice, I got tired of it, didn't quite suit my taste :/ Damn.... and I read somewhere that Corned Beef is actually one of the foods you should love if bulking, or Corned Beef Hash.

When you start lifting heavily, food begins to taste better. You may have to literally force feed yourself at first, but soon you'll get a taste for new things, as long as you try them. Myself as an example: I ate 8 cups of brown rice today, 1 cup of blackeyed peas, one chicken breast, 5 tablespoons of olive oil, a sloppy joe burger on wheat bread, and various other things. I enjoyed them all because I was so damned hungry from lifting this morning.

Shao-LiN
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I would have enjoyed that regardless of the lifting =).