PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a cut

harv
08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
OK - been cutting for a while and have been stuck for about a month now.

My last month of fitday averages like this:

2126 calories
68 fat
208 carb (trying to reduce...damn it's hard)
172 protein (trying to bump this)

I'm 200 lbs, 33 years old, 5-10.

Oh ,I take creatine, milti and whey daily. I just ordered some thermocin :evillaugh to help things along.

I'm continually trying / learning to eat smarter (whole-grain carbs, natty pb, avoiding the sugary stuff, eating breakfast, breaking up meals)...any advice/suggestions?

Unreal
08-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Salads/veggies are my best friend. I find that unless I fill myself up, I just keep eating. A huge salad I can have and still be ~300-500 calories. Same thing with brocolli, green beans, etc...

Built
08-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Take a peek at my cutter. I really liked how it worked for me.

HILL
08-29-2005, 02:31 PM
drop your carbs and up the protein if you can, also concentrate your carbs around lifting

Built
08-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Up the fat a bit too. It's satisfying on lower calories.

And you might need a week or two at maintenance calories.

Behemoth
08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Seems like a real low amount of calories for someone your size. What kind of weight were you losing at first and how long has it been since you dropped calories?

harv
08-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Behemoth: I did a couple weeks at 2500 cal and weight didn't change so I called that maintance, then dropped calories.
I probably dropped 5 lbs in the 1st 2 months...but I'm fairly certain my muscle mass increased. I'm kinda using my abs as my bf indicator...they haven't changed in a month. So, to answer your question I dropped calories about 4 months ago.

Built: So, upt the fat at expense of carbs I assume?

Built
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes, that would be my suggestion.

Behemoth
08-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Your macronutrient breakdown is fairly sound. I highly doubt that's your problem. I may sound stupid asking, but when you cut calories you did drop them gradually right?

I'm not sure how long you've been dieting but I know it's been at least 4 months. That's most likely your problem. Unless you're terribly overweight (and it certainly doesn't look like it from your avatar pic) then that is pretty extensive period to go while on a reduced calorie diet. I would suggest gradually upping the calories to maintaince or a bit above for 2 or 3 (or maybe even a few more) weeks. Then gradually cut them back down.

Built
08-29-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree with the stall not being the result of the macronutrient mix. I simply use lower carbs and higher fats because they're more satisfying.

I think he's been dieting too long, and too hard.

That's why I suggested a diet break earlier. I think your advise is sound, Behemoth.

harv
08-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Hmmm...2 people who know a hell of a lot more about dieting than I do suggest a diet break, and I'm sure tired of being hungry all the time...this is a no brainer!!!

Thank you!!!!

OK - what is gradually? A week? I could easily jump back up to 2500 starting today but that probably wouldn't be prudent.

Built
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
INCREASE SLOWLY - add in an extra daily 100 calories for a week, then another hundred ...

Take a month off, and enjoy the heavy lifting.

Edited to add:
Alternatively, do a ONE week, fairly massive overfeed. But be prepared to gain a couple of pounds.

I do this from time to time, because it's more fun.

Unreal
08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
For the past 15 months I've been on a low calorie cut, lost ~20lbs while actually increasing strength a bit.

Past few days I've been HUNGRY. I ate, and ate. Yesterday I had some much food I thought I was going to be sick after dinner. I don't know whats going on, but it maybe time for a break for a week and then continue for the last 5-6lbs.

Shao-LiN
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I usually take a week off every 2 months or so and eat at maintenance. Helps normalize leptin levels and also gets you out of the dieting rut.

Behemoth
08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry Built. I skimmed it and missed where you said that.

And Harv, Builts suggestion of a hundred calories a day is good advice. I would reccomend the same.

Unreal - You've been dieting for 15 months and only lost 20lbs??? The only reason one would need to diet that long would be if they were excessively overweight. And if you are, then it seems like you're going to slow. And if you're not I think it's time for a bulk.

Unreal
08-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I meant 15 weeks. I've actually lost 92lbs in the past year.

Behemoth
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
That sounds much better. :)

Congrats on the impressive weightloss.