PDA

View Full Version : Shake w/ oats

DarthDave
08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I feel like this is asking a stupid question but here goes anyway.....I made my first protein shake this morning with milk, oats and a scoop of whey. It was not bad except for it being a tad gritty due to the oats.

Do you guys cook your oats first then thrown them in the blender or just throw them in uncooked? I am assuming uncooked for convienence but always like to hear what the experts are doing.

MM
08-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't cook mine. Grate them up for a long time before putting anything else in; I've been thinking about trying the quick oats instead, which have a different texture.

kangerue
08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I cooked them once and it made the shake thicken. I do not advise cooking them first.

Bruise Brubaker
08-29-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't know if oats is an exception, but usually every cereals must be cooked prior to consumption to increase their digestibility (destroy/desactivate or whatever the phytates that bind to minerals).

HILL
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
all you need to do is grind them up into a sort of flour first

Vsire
08-30-2005, 10:08 PM
If you buy those Quaker Instant Oats than it's ok to consume them w/o cooking. Since it stated there no cooking needed, just eat it with water or milk. Personally I just blend them with my protein shakes, sometimes with skim milk. It's easier to eat anyway :D

Joe Black
08-31-2005, 01:08 AM
lol, you guys are crazy... mixing oats with shakes?

Whats wrong with eating oats with some milk in the microwave ;)

If its post workout, personally I take whey and dextrose.

HILL
08-31-2005, 09:54 AM
i find i cant eat 100g of oats but it goes down really easy in a shake was good for bulking. gone back to eating them now im cutting

smalls
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
I mix everthing together and blend for less than 10 seconds, drink half then blend it up again so the oatmeal doesnt settle. It tastes fine and I find no need to blend it up any more than that.

Vitalize
09-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Here is my shake.
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 cup raspberries
1 kiwi
2 banannas
1 cup of oatmeal
1 tub of yogurt
1/2 pint of milk
2 tsp honey
blend chill and serve
Have protein powder seperate in water.

Kiaran
09-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Won't eating dry oats upset the stomach? It sounds harsh, but damn my stupid oatmeal shake always ends up being like the entire blender full, since I cook my oats. It is like cement too :( I might have to try this dry stuff...

HILL
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
well on my 12 week bulk i was having 5 or 6 of these shakes i day each containing 100g of oats. thats more than half a kilo and the only problem i had was realy bad farts. my g/f was not impressed.

the one
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
vitalize thats waaaaaaaaaay too much sugar in one meal dont you think?

Vitalize
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
You think so? But its all good sugars.
BTW I would NOT cook oatmeal and put it in the shake, put them in raw. Thickens up the shake a treat.

Shao-LiN
09-07-2005, 09:49 PM
lol, you guys are crazy... mixing oats with shakes?

Whats wrong with eating oats with some milk in the microwave ;)

If its post workout, personally I take whey and dextrose.

Nitrean + oats = quick and convenient meal, yet nutritious.

Owen
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
I use one and a half servings of un-cooked oats which is 3/4 of a cup. I put that in the blender first, by itself, and blend for like 3 seconds. This grinds the oats pretty good, then I add the rest of the stuff. Milk, fruit, protein...whatever. It works good. Quick and easy.

the one
09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
good sugars, bad sugars, all pretty much the same my man.

crazyaoshi
09-09-2005, 09:18 AM
I am certainly not very knowledgeable on the subject, but after reading this thread, I went to the supermarket and compared the nutritional info [in Japanese so that too leaves room for error] on oatmeal vs other cereals. Now for carbs/bulking, oatmeal looks great, but I am trying to lose weight. So, despite being slightly off-topic, I found the fiber to calorie ratio much better for all-bran cereal [the one that's all strips of bran, not the flakes]. I add 1/2 or 3/4 cup to a protein shake once or twice a day and yes it's good complex [I think] carbs but it also helps with #2.

Is this right? It's not cheap in Japan but the grocery was having a sale today only so I bought 5 more boxes.

Haaji Dont Surf
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I just added oats to my shakes... It's a good way to get in an extra 300 calories, the only problem is the texture got funky and it makes me cough every now and then when the oats tickle my throat... It's downable though and that is all that matters.

Edit: The end of it is really hard to down due to all of the oats sinking to the bottom.

Naab
09-11-2005, 02:18 PM
my shakes , and i have two a day are as follows....

1c blueberries
1c dry quick quaker oats
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3c skim milk
1 scoop whey

1250 cals 47g fat 127g carbs 76g protein

variation can be natty pb and banana instead of berries and olive oil... but i like the berries b/c of their antioxidants and other variables.

and if your at work like me and you have access to filtered water (unlimited), i just fill that container back up with water and get the stuff that sunk to the bottom that way.... it looks like water from New Orleans....but it works..

though my coworkers think i am a nutcase haha :evillaugh

muscleup
09-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I just started adding oats to my shakes this past week.
The best mix I have come up with includes:
(Added to blender in this order)
8oz Juice (I use V8 Splash Orange/Pineapple)
3 whole strawberries
1 medium banana
38g Protein powder (Strawberry)
1cup Quaker Oats

I don't grind my oats up first by themselves either. It has a "consistancy", but nothing that can't be handled.

If I add Oats to my Natty PB shakes, I have to go easy on the PB or it will be like drinking pancake mix...I also add a little more milk than usual to any shakes that contain PB.

Built
09-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Get a cheap coffee grinder, and grind your raw oats to flour before tossing it into your shake.

Solved.

Works great for flax seeds too, for anyone interested in such things (flax seed needs to be ground before consuming, or it just goes through you).

Owen
09-12-2005, 02:37 AM
I use flax seed meal in my shakes sometimes, its good stuff :-)

trich daddy
09-12-2005, 03:30 AM
can't you just buy ground oat flour at health food stores?