PDA

View Full Version : Protein Drinks

Beastly
08-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi, I'v just started working out (4months now)

I am;
6'0"
165lbs
Max bench; 180
Reps; 3sets x 160x3

I have never taken a protein drink, nor do I know what it does (well, it's not too hard to figure that out, I guess...), where to get it, how to/how much to use it. I want to put on 15 pounds...would taking protein drinks while I work out help? Help please?

Oh and...well I have this damn conscience problem that won't let me take protein drinks and/or other supplements...Would you consider using protien drinks......cheating? (Why am I asking?...Iono...maybe it would help if someone said no? Lol..)

Shao-LiN
08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi, I'v just started working out (4months now)

I am;
6'0"
165lbs
Max bench; 180
Reps; 3sets x 160x3

I have never taken a protein drink, nor do I know what it does (well, it's not too hard to figure that out, I guess...), where to get it, how to/how much to use it. I want to put on 15 pounds...would taking protein drinks while I work out help? Help please?

Oh and...well I have this damn conscience problem that won't let me take protein drinks and/or other supplements...Would you consider using protien drinks......cheating? (Why am I asking?...Iono...maybe it would help if someone said no? Lol..)

You consider drinking milk or eating chicken cheating? You know those have protein in them too, right?

malkore
08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
protein isn't a magic bullet. it's not a steroid. ITS NOT CHEATING.
it is, however, an important building block for gaining lean muscle mass...and that's why you should be taking in 160g of protein a day, minimum.

Nosaj
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Beastly: Whey protein is not "cheating" any more than eating food is cheating. If you're looking to put on 15lbs (total weight or lean body mass?) then you need to increase your calories. You should start increasing your calories by about 15-20% of your currenty daily calories (or maybe just try 500 calories a day and see how you feel with the results). The only things I would keep track of during your diet for gaining weight is make sure to have 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (so for you, 250-330 grams of protein) per day and .5 grams of fat (83 grams of fat) per day. Design a diet with increased daily calories using foods from what a body builder eats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) and stick to it for a month and see how it works out for you. Post your results when you're done! =]

Beastly
08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks Nosaj, I'll look into that :)

And well no, Shao-Lin, that's kinda different cuz it's more natural I guess...but yeah I see what you mean. That helps :P

Beastly
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey, another question, what's the difference between total weight and lean body mass? Is lean body mass muscle? Sorry if this is a stupid question :(

BTW, I want to put on 15lbs to become bigger muscle wise.

HILL
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
lbm is your weight without the bodyfat i believe and 15 pounds of just muscle will take a long time

Unreal
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
LBM is body mass minus fat. So muscle, bone, organs, etc.

BG5150
08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
You wanna put on weight? Read the sticky: What a Bodybuilder Eats. After you figure out what your meals will be like, see how much protein that will be. Figure out if there is a deficiency (you should get 1.5g protein for each # of body weight) then you can make it up thru a protein shake or more food.

But, by all means, DO NOT buy your protein at GNC!

Optimum08
09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
use the search function

Shao-LiN
09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
And well no, Shao-Lin, that's kinda different cuz it's more natural I guess...but yeah I see what you mean. That helps :P

I suppose. Whey is derived from milk...they basically separate out the casein protein. So, whatever line you draw as natural.

CarlP
09-05-2005, 11:35 AM
You wanna put on weight? Read the sticky: What a Bodybuilder Eats. After you figure out what your meals will be like, see how much protein that will be. Figure out if there is a deficiency (you should get 1.5g protein for each # of body weight) then you can make it up thru a protein shake or more food.

But, by all means, DO NOT buy your protein at GNC!

Unless it's on sale.

Bruise Brubaker
09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
I suppose. Whey is derived from milk...they basically separate out the casein protein. So, whatever line you draw as natural.

:withstupi

Whey is as natural as cheese, which is mainly the casein part.