PDA

View Full Version : lose weight but get bigger

tonelo61
08-31-2005, 06:51 PM
right now im about 6-2 217lbs but with over 20% bf i have a decent amount of muscle but i still want to get bigger. but i also want to lose a lot of this fat but my problem is i dont want to lose any muscle and i want to gain more muscle at the same time. it seems like with all the food and protein i have to consume that i wont lose the fat. and if i eat less i will lose my muscle. my basic diet is something like this:
7am protein shake 1 scoop optimum 1 cup of 1%milk
10am 6inch subway turkey sandwich with cheese light mayo
and/or homemade protein bar (pb,oats,honey, whey)
12pm some type sandwich usually grilled chicken, baked chips, diet pepsi
3pm homemade protein bar or beef jerky
5.30pm dinner: steak and salad light dressing
9pm protein shake 2 scoops whey, 2cups milk, 1cup yogurt

so im basically wondering what i can do to lose the fat but keep and gain muscle?

pbsteve09
08-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Run a search for a more detailed answer. But for a short answer...itís very hard to cut and gain muscle at the same time. To gain muscle you need to have calories over maintenance. However to loose fat (seeing fat in the stomach is the least to go for 99% of guys) you need to have calories below. So its kind hard to do, seeing those processes equal each other out. However you can go on a cut to loose fat, and keep your muscle by keeping your protein levels high. But like I said run a search around here, thereís tons of threads like this.

Manveet
08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Losing fat is a catabolic process.

Gaining muscle is an anabolic process.

It is very difficult to do both processes at the same time.

I suggest you concentrate on dropping body fat first (while sparing as much muscle mass as you can).

Here are some tips for sparing muscle mass

1) drop calories slowly (aim to lose 1-1.5lbs (2lbs tops) per week)

2) Keep protein high (1.5g per 1lb bodyweight) (this is a rule that I need to follow more strictly myself)

3) Train more often. In other words, increase the frequency of your workouts (hit each body part at least 2x per week, maybe even 3)

drew
08-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Looks like your cals are very close to on-target for losing weight. Read the sticky "What a bodybuilder eats" and follow it.

Just drop some fat and then bulk up. If you do it right, it won't take that long to do.

malkore
09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Also, you can strip fat while retaining muscle, at least 99% of it, if you do it right. Keep the protein up, and get your carbs mainly from fruits and veggies, although oatmeal is an ideal breakfast item for cutting or bulking.

Built
09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I never eat oatmeal for breakfast - makes me too freaking HUNGRY if I eat carbs in the morning.

The biggest name of the game for cutting is appetite control. Figure out a mix that lets you drop your calories by no more than say 20% while not wanting to chew your arm off all day.

The advise on protein is sound - keep it high. I keep mine around 1.5g/lb LBM, and fats at no lower than 0.5g/lb LBM while cutting. Starchy carbs, because they MIGHT make you hungry, may be best kept to the meal just before and or just after you lift.

Toss in a cheat meal or day every few weeks. Good for your metabolism, and good for your soul.

darkdan
09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
If you're a n00b like me....it happens automatically. =)

Of course, I'm a n00b every 6 months because I always quit after 3 months of lifting because I'm lazy and then go back to it.

If you're not new, then pick a goal and run with it.

Geeper
09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I tried for 2 years to loose weight and gain at the same time.... 2 freakin years! I lost 100 lbs, but I also had only minimal strenght gains. In the last month of bulking my workouts have gone THROUGH THE ROOF... lesson here.... I should have listened to everybody from the start, bulk or cut, don't try to do both at the same time

Scottyboy
09-03-2005, 01:37 PM
You can gain muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time, but you will still be gaining weight. I'll assume you meant lose fat and not lose weight since gaining muscle while losing weight is an oxymoron (muscle weighs more than fat). Stay on a good diet, do a little cardio but not a lot, and lift hard.

Built
09-03-2005, 01:47 PM
You can gain muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time, but you will still be gaining weight.

Not if you're fairly fat to begin with, and untrained.

I dropped 25 lbs my first year of lifting, and I was overweight to start with.

I went from 170 lbs to 145 lbs, and probably packed on about 8-10 lbs of LBM in that time.

But I was completely untrained in the beginning.

I'll assume you meant lose fat and not lose weight since gaining muscle while losing weight is an oxymoron Nope. See above.

Stay on a good diet, do a little cardio but not a lot, and lift hard. Yep. :)

Canadian Crippler
09-03-2005, 01:52 PM
It's hard, yet possible to put on LBM while losing fat. It however is virtually impossible to put on more LBM than fat lost.

Built
09-03-2005, 02:05 PM
It's hard, yet possible to put on LBM while losing fat. It however is virtually impossible to put on more LBM than fat lost.

Exactly. Which is why you'll generally still see the scale go down.