PDA

View Full Version : Miker's Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles

Miker
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
So I stole the name from my buddys' magazine who stole it from Agony Column.. . Lets just get the intellectual thievery out in the open shall we?

Anyways.. I decided to start a journal to keep track of my results/conditions of some of the dumbass ridiculous work out programs I am going to try.

I started this 'Hybrid Hypertrophy' program I found on T-Nation this week. Its pretty intense.. ..

First day was last Monday
Close Grip Bench Press
1. 3 x 155 lbs(supposed to be 6 Rep Max.. wasn't sure what that was so I guessed)
2. 3 x 165lbs (5rm)
3. 3 x 185lbs (3 rm)
French Press
4. 14 x 65lbs
Close Grip Bench Press
5. 3 x 185lbs (3rm) Note: think my 3 rep max is closer to 200 will reset next cycle

Deadlifts
1. 3 x 225lbs (6rm)
2. 3 x 275lbs (5rm)
3. 3 x 305lbs (3rm)
Front Squats
4. 12 x 165lbs
Deadlifts
5. 3 x 305lbs (3rm)

Pronated Wide Grip Pullups
1. 3 x bodyweight and 10lb db (6rm)
2. 3 x bodyweight and 25lb db (5rm)
3. 3 x bodyweight and 35lb db (3rm)
Straight Arm Cable Pushdowns
4. 12 x 60lbs
5. 3 x bodyweight and 35lb db (3rm)

I also started a bulk cycle on Monday... so I'm feeling stuffed, incredibly sore... fairly happy... and in this state.. I notice that Budiak's journal writings are starting to make more sense to me now.. which has plummetted me into a freefall of terror for my sanity.

Miker
09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Well... I had to call off the workout Tuesday...just getting out of my chair seemed alot like a Syrian Torture session... I hadn't done deadlifts in a while.. you see.. I took 3 weeks off before starting this program.. I needed a physical and mental break from everything.. went to the beach with the wife and kids and a ****load of Keith's IPA...cracker!...

Thursday's workout... another ball buster...

Powercleans
1. 3 x 135lbs
2. 3 x 165lbs
3. 3 x 175lbs
Squats
4. 12 x 225lbs
Powercleans
5. 3 x 175lbs (by this set.. I had developed the proper power rhythm from the initial pull.. made it much easier.. think I could have done quite a bit more weight.. we'll know next week)

Incline Situps >45deg
1. 3 x 25lbs
2. 3 x 35lbs
3. 3 x 45lbs
Cable Crunches
4. 12 x 160lbs
Incline Situps >45deg
5. 3 x 45lbs (may have to make some big adjustments.. I think the ab portion of this program suffers some serious suxage... )

Incline DB Press
1. 3 x 70 lb db's
2. 3 x 75 lb db's
3. 3 x 80 lb db's
Standing Military DB Press
4. 12 x 35lb db's (holy crap.. that was harder than I thought it would be..my cannonballs seemed to perform like 12 gauge pellets)
Incline DB Press
5. 3 x 80 lb db's

So far.. the first two workouts of this 3 workout a week program are killer.. I can't remember walking out of a gym feeling so totally gassed. I get back to my office and if I could figure out a way to steam my desk.. it would be devoured.

My goal is to make Callahan respect my underarmour shirts. I dream big.. I know.

squat it all!
09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
i must be missing something. why do and excercise, than another, and then back to the first excercise? what does "hybrid hypertrophy" refer to?

Miker
09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd try to explain but ... really.. would end up copying the article I got it from.. so rather .. much easier to copy the link
LOOK HERE (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=9FD720FE3BC07E7F0F98D343760A63CB.hydra?id=580380)

squat it all!
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
good link. i get it, sort of. it sounds promising, but i'm not sure i understand WHY it would work. good luck with it, but keep in mind the last paragraph from that article: "This program pushes the limits of recovery, but the results are outstanding if you incorporate this method the next time you’re long on sleep and short on stress."

Miker
09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
good link. i get it, sort of. it sounds promising, but i'm not sure i understand WHY it would work. good luck with it, but keep in mind the last paragraph from that article: "This program pushes the limits of recovery, but the results are outstanding if you incorporate this method the next time you’re long on sleep and short on stress."
Thanks.. and really.. the whole mystery of it all intrigues me a bit so that is why I am trying it.. I'm going to dedicate 4 weeks to it.. and see how it goes. I already know how hard the recovery is.. Holy mutherfocker does it take the piss out of your vinegar! Long on Sleep.. the last time I was in that category.. I was carrying textbooks, no cares, and a perpetual woody around a campus.. OH the bright days of history....

Anyhoo...

Today.. I did a few things I had never really done before because I never understood why you would do them.. I still don't and now I feel like I was cheating on my regular lovers...

Weighted Dips
1. 3 x BW+35lbs
2. 3 x BW+45lbs
3. 3 x BW+60lbs
French Press
4. 14 x 95lbs
Weighted Dips
5. 3 x BW+60lbs (I have GOT to get a chain for my belt.. this holding db's between my feet sucks the unpolished purple helmet)

Bent Over Barbell Rows
1. 3 x 135lbs
2. 3 x 185lbs
3. 3 x 205lbs
Rear Delt DB Side Raises
4. 14 x 35lb dbs
Bent Over Barbell Rows
5. 3 x 205lbs (I've always hated these and now I truly understand the depth of hatred that I have for them.. )

Rack Pull Deadlifts
1. 3 x 275 lbs
2. 3 x 315 lbs
3. 3 x 335lbs
Box Squats
4. 14 x 315lbs
Rack Pull Deadlifts
5. 33 x 335lbs

I've always had this perception that box squats and Rack Pulls are just cheating bitch versions of the real exercise.. and maybe I'm not doing them right.. (and if you ever look at Callahan while I'm working out.. I'm not doing much right..lol ;) ) but I felt like I was giving the tongue to some crack whore behind my wife's back on every rep. I could post the question in the Powerlifting forum.. look like a chump.. or I could wait for some charity minded individual to kindly explain why I would do these adulterous exercises over the others?

squat it all!
09-02-2005, 01:49 PM
"I've always had this perception that box squats and Rack Pulls are just cheating bitch versions of the real exercise.. and maybe I'm not doing them right.. (and if you ever look at Callahan while I'm working out.. I'm not doing much right..lol ;) ) but I felt like I was giving the tongue to some crack whore behind my wife's back on every rep. I could post the question in the Powerlifting forum.. look like a chump.. or I could wait for some charity minded individual to kindly explain why I would do these adulterous exercises over the others?"

not sure, but my best guess is that they will increase your full squats and deads, which is better for size and strength in the long run... but what do i know?

Built
09-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll be interested to hear others' thoughts on rack pulls and other crack-whores.

Really digging the new 'tar, Mike!

Miker
09-07-2005, 12:49 PM
As with most Long Weekends.. they are ferocious beasts that do everything in their power to keep me from the gym. I almost lost a few appendages when I thought about going....

Close Grip Bench Press
1. 3 x 185 lbs
2. 3 x 195lbs (5rm)
3. 3 x 205lbs (3 rm)
French Press
4. 14 x 85lbs
Close Grip Bench Press
5. 3 x 205lbs (3rm)

Deadlifts
1. 3 x 255lbs (6rm)
2. 3 x 280lbs (5rm)
3. 3 x 335lbs (3rm) (NEW PERSONAL BEST!!! woot woot)
Front Squats
4. 12 x 185lbs
Deadlifts
5. 3 x 335lbs (3rm)

1. 3 x bodyweight and 20lb db (6rm)
2. 3 x bodyweight and 30lb db (5rm)
3. 3 x bodyweight and 40lb db (3rm)
4. 8 x 75lbs
5. 2 x bodyweight and 40lb db (3rm)

I am really digging this program but Holy ****.. does it take alot out of you.. all I want to do is sleep.. well.. aside from get action from my wife.. but sleep seems much easier to come by. Goddamn... I must be getting old.

Built
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Ahahahaha!

Oh, the conflict between elevated test levels and exhaustion.

Poor you! LOL!

Nice work on the deads!

How wide do you go on the pullups?

squat it all!
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
nice job on the pr deadlifts! and it looks like you hit it again after your front squats. very impressive.

Miker
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Nice work on the deads!

How wide do you go on the pullups?
Thanks.. I think the concentration on proper form... and ignoring the blood running down my shins has helped me tremendously.

As for pullups.. I go just inside 90 degrees from elbows... so wide.. not sure if that describes it correctly.. but they are wide gripped for sure.

nice job on the pr deadlifts! and it looks like you hit it again after your front squats. very impressive.
Thanks.. I am very sure I could have done more.. but thought I'd better not push it more than what I had just done.. hate to injure myself.

Built
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Not sure if you've read this http://www.dynamic-med.com/content/3/1/4

As you know, I've got this shoulder thing, so I'm always reading up on rotator-cuff related stuff... :rolleyes:

squat it all!
09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Not sure if you've read this http://www.dynamic-med.com/content/3/1/4

As you know, I've got this shoulder thing, so I'm always reading up on rotator-cuff related stuff... :rolleyes:

i do L-flies and some other junk, but i'm not sure if my rotators are getting stronger/safer. what do you do?

Built
09-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Grit my teeth. A lot.

Miker
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Powercleans
1. 3 x 155lbs
2. 3 x 175lbs
3. 3 x 185lbs
Box Squats (Was supposed to be plain squats but I switched it.. for no damn reason either)
4. 14 x 335lbs I have to lower the box and the weight I think... no.. I know...
Powercleans
5. 3 x 185lbs

Incline Situps >45deg
1. 3 x 25lbs
2. 3 x 35lbs
3. 3 x 45lbs
Cable Crunches
4. 14 x 170lbs
Incline Situps >45deg
5. 3 x 45lbs

Incline DB Press
1. 3 x 70 lb db's
2. 3 x 75 lb db's
3. 3 x 80 lb db's
4. 12 x 40lb db's
Incline DB Press
5. 3 x 80 lb db's

Not a bad workout.. though without a partner I had to ask for spots here and there.. dammit.. I look around... I see three guys and one girl. The 3 guys were composed of three guys that were trying to figure out how a freaking collar goes on the bar or just how far to swing themselves curling more weight than they have ever lifted in their lives. I asked the girl.. got a great spot.. and a pair of large funbags bangin me in the ears as she spots my incline presses. I knew I should have lifted less weight and gone for the 345 rep set..

Built
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Sounds like YOU had a good time!

Sounds like she did too! :evillaugh

Miker
09-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Weighted Dips
1. 3 x BW+45lbs
2. 3 x BW+60lbs
3. 3 x BW+70lbs
French Press
4. 14 x 95lbs
Weighted Dips
5. 3 x BW+70lbs

Rack Pull Deadlifts
1. 3 x 295 lbs
2. 3 x 315 lbs
3. 3 x 345lbs
Squats
4. 12 x 225lbs
Rack Pull Deadlifts
5. 3 x 315lbs

Had to skip the Bent Over Rows and Delt raises due to a meeting in a few minutes.. I have discovered that there was a reason why this program was 3 workouts a week... and not 3 workouts in 3 days. ... my back feels like it has been run over, prodded, poked, sanded, drilled, jackhammered and tied in huge knots.. but strangely.. I like it.. just wish I had received all that from Built in PVC

squat it all!
09-09-2005, 11:57 AM
another pr in the rack deads. way to go!

Built
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Rubber.

It fits tighter. :evillaugh

Miker
09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
So.. for the past couple months I have been in and out of the Yonge street MuscleMag store location trying to by a chained belt.. one I can add weight to when doing pull ups and dips etc. My 197lbs is not quite enough for the Hybrid Hypertrophy program though I think when this hellspawned routine is over.. I might even be strong enough to use it for more than 3 reps!! woot!
Anyways.. I have been in countless times.. they never had one, always promised to order one and call me, never did, I'd visit and start the filthy cycle all over again. The last time I went in (a week ago), the place was half empty of stock and I noticed the 'going out of business' smell. You know.. the smell generated by moving items that had gotten dusty.. and magazines that had started to kind of melt into each other.. ...I asked for a belt.. and long story short (the long story is that the girl serving me was beyond hot.. and had big......eyes... big round full firm eyes).. I left empty handed and lacking bloodflow to my brain.

SO.. this weekend I got creative. I dug out my old belt that I never use ... went to Canadian tire and bought 3 feet of heavy gauge chain and a heavy caribiner. I can chain up plates and hook it to my belt buckle.. voila. The chain and belt combo comes out to a 7.5 pound weight.. which is quite considerable...when lugging it from home to work... Ok.. so I'm not an inventor in Einstein's realm but.. dammit... I'm proud of myself.

Close Grip Bench Press
1. 3 x 190 lbs
2. 3 x 195lbs
3. 3 x 205lbs
Behind Head DB Extension
4. 14 x 70lb db
Close Grip Bench Press
5. 2 x 205lbs

Deadlifts
1. 3 x 255lbs
2. 3 x 295lbs
3. 3 x 340lbs (NEW PERSONAL BEST!!! woot woot)
Front Squats
4. 12 x 185lbs ... oh... oh... oh I hate these
Deadlifts
5. 2 x 335lbs

1. 3 x bodyweight and 22.5lbs
2. 3 x bodyweight and 32.5lbs
3. 3 x bodyweight and 37.5lbs
4. 12 x 65lbs
5. 2 x bodyweight and 37.5lbs

Built
09-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Nice work on the homemade equipment, especially considering where most of your blood seems to reside. :evillaugh

Nice work on the deads, too.

:)

Miker
09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
This program is kicking me in the ASS with a steel toed boot. I would recommend it to anyone that is serious about an intense program.

Though.. the downside..it kicks you in the keester.. and then.. as you turn around to see who's footprint is on your backpocket.. it gives you a roundhouse to the chin and walks away chuckling.

It is meant to hit your Central Nervous System .. make it forget the 'last set' and recruit the fatigue resistant motor units.. thus.. optimally smoking both your muscles and your brain... when I finish a workout (and its wonderfully short) I feel exhausted physically and mentally... after a shower and some food.. I feel wonderful.. If I could only get a .............oh .. hmm.. nevermind.

I am waking up in the morning feeling harder and tighter.. not stiff.. but just tight... now.. I'm eating like Jared did before the wonderful Subway weight loss program.. so I feel bigger too.. but I am making strength gains like never before...

Powercleans
1. 3 x 165lbs
2. 3 x 185lbs
3. 3 x 195lbs ---> Personal Best (not that I've done this much but what the hell)
Squats
4. 14 x 225lbs think I will up the weight 5 or so next time
Powercleans
5. 3 x 195lbs --> Did I mention a Personal Best..

Incline Situps >45deg
1. 3 x 25lbs
2. 3 x 35lbs
3. 3 x 45lbs
Cable Crunches
4. 14 x 175lbs (rack plus a 5lb plate)
Incline Situps >45deg
5. 3 x 45lbs

Incline DB Press
1. 3 x 75 lb db's
2. 3 x 80 lb db's
3. 3 x 85 lb db's ---> another personal best.. and I think I could have done 90's with ease...woot!
4. 14 x 40lb db's
Incline DB Press
5. 3 x 85 lb db's

Miker
09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Had to cut the workout short AGAIN today.. this time because yours truly managed to maim himself playing old man beer league softball on the weekend. Yeah.. played in a tournament to end our season on Saturday.. and managed to bruise my heel trying to stop from running over some drunk at 2nd base... what a mistake that was... the entire underside of my right heel is now a nice shade of royal purple.

On a good note.... this program must be helping out the functional strength a little. I got may fair share of homers this year.. .mostly inside the park ones.. (since the old guys tend to rip and tear things trying to run for the ball.. lol).. (on a side note.. as an almost 38yr old.. I enjoy calling men older than me.. old men.. makes me feel very much better about myself..)... Anyways.. out of 13 at bats in 3 games.. I hit 7 over the fences.. whoopee!.. 3 of them into a pond.. Barry Bonds can kiss my lily white ass!

back to the workout...

Close Grip Bench Press
1. 3 x 195 lbs
2. 3 x 205lbs
3. 3 x 215lbs (pb)
French Press
4. 14 x 105lbs (pb)
Close Grip Bench Press
5. 2 x 215lbs

Deadlifts
couldn't do ... damn heel

1. 3 x bodyweight and 27.5lbs
2. 3 x bodyweight and 37.5lbs
3. 3 x bodyweight and 42.5lbs
4. 12 x 75lbs
5. 2 x bodyweight and 42.5lbs

On another side note.. the girl I am working out with/training with... managed to put up reps in Close Grip Press of 120lbs.. This chick is smashing some of the guys in the gym... I even noted some sort admiration on Callahan's face today.. either that or he was taking a good look at the posterior chain of said workout partner... great links in that chain.. :evillaugh

Relentless
09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
On another side note.. the girl I am working out with/training with... managed to put up reps in Close Grip Press of 120lbs.. This chick is smashing some of the guys in the gym... I even noted some sort admiration on Callahan's face today.. either that or he was taking a good look at the posterior chain of said workout partner... great links in that chain.. :evillaugh

Aha, here's your new journal.

Nah I was watching her reps. She could probably lift even more if she kept her wrists straight instead of letting 'em bend back. If she has some sort of injury, maybe try reverse grip? I have never really had wrist issues so it's no big deal for me but I cringe a little when I see the degree of flexion in her wrists during the CGBPs. Going to cause her problems down the road as she lifts heavier if she doesn't correct the tendency.

Oh, and....

I asked the girl.. got a great spot.. and a pair of large funbags bangin me in the ears as she spots my incline presses. I knew I should have lifted less weight and gone for the 345 rep set..

Who'd you ask? The well-proportioned (dyed?)blonde chick with the great thighs and glutes (her training partner is a somewhat less fit brunette who always seems to wear the same black tights...)?

Miker
09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Who'd you ask? The well-proportioned (dyed?)blonde chick with the great thighs and glutes (her training partner is a somewhat less fit brunette who always seems to wear the same black tights...)?
No.. I've seen her alot.. I've only seen this girl a few times.. I think she must workout at a different time... She had dark hair.. relatively short.. but heavily proportioned in the pectal zone.. rest was well put together as well... I'll point her out if I see her in while you are there...

Miker
09-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Monday... and back to the gym... oh yeah and work.
I get up this morning... knowing I have to take my pathfinder in for an emissions test so I can renew my plate sticker... the garage is by the train station... but still a 3-5 min walk. It is pouring.. nay.. it is 'whooshing' down with rain. No matter.. I have my slick new Scotiabank teflon/kevlar/whatever coated cool looking jacket and an umbrella in my bag. Drop of my truck.. toss the keys in the door slot for when they open. Unzip my bag to find my umbrella cover... no umbrella. hmmm 5 min later after a nice walk in the downpour... I slosh onto the train.. what a way to start the day.

Fixed that sumnabitch of a monday at the gym... right? kinda... got to the gym.. 'sorry gents.. the washroom and shower facilities are having a new floor put down'... hope my 2:30 doesn't mind a bit of a chalky funk in the meeting room...

Close Grip Bench Press
1. 3 x 185 lbs
2. 3 x 205lbs
3. 3 x 215lbs
French Press
4. 10 x 115lbs (pb)
Close Grip Bench Press
5. 2 x 215lbs

Deadlifts
1. 3 x 265lbs
2. 3 x 295lbs
3. 3 x 345lbs (pb)
Front Squats
4. 12 x 165lbs
Deadlifts
5. 2 x 345lbs

1. 3 x bodyweight and 27.5lbs
2. 3 x bodyweight and 37.5lbs
3. 3 x bodyweight and 42.5lbs
4. 12 x 75lbs
5. 3 x bodyweight and 42.5lbs

man.. I'm starving... time to chow

Relentless
09-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Nice work on the pb for deads, Mike. You'll hit 4 plates soon enough I expect.

it is the 3rd time since I've joined that they've had enough construction going on in the change rooms that the showers were shut down

mind you, 5 years ago they were pretty raunchy; much nicer now

Miker
09-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmmm... not the greatest day at the gym... worked from home.. didn't eat enough.. worked out at a different gym and everything felt so foreign in my hands like 10lbs was 15lbs at this gym.. weird...and story goes on like a 3m tapeworm.. horrible.

Powercleans
1. 3 x 175lbs
2. 3 x 195lbs
3. 2 x 205lbs
Squats
4. 12 x 235lbs
Powercleans
5. 1 x 205lbs

Incline Situps >45deg
1. 3 x 25lbs
2. 3 x 35lbs
3. 3 x 45lbs
Cable Crunches
4. 14 x 180lbs
Incline Situps >45deg
5. 3 x 45lbs

Incline DB Press
1. 3 x 75 lb db's - felt a slight twinge in my shoulder decided to take it easy
2. 3 x 70 lb db's
3. 3 x 70 lb db's
4. 14 x 40lb db's
Incline DB Press
5. 3 x 70 lb db's

On the good side.. I've discovered the band Symphony X and have been listening to it non-stop for 2 days...

Callahan: Thanks... I still do not have perfect form as far as dropping my ass but my back is straight and I feel the drive in my legs much more.. so I'm happy.. I think if I was going for a 1RM I might have made 365 or so.. as far as the showers go.. it sucks.. my office doesn't have any so if I have an afternoon meeting I have to decide whether to show up funky or skip the workout. So far.. funky has been the order of the day ;)

Miker
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Back to my regular gym today... feels good to be home!
I think my stress free work life is coming to an end.. somebody found my phone number and is spreading it around to people that want something. which as you must know.. is a terrible position to be in.. having to work.. at work.. meh...

Weighted Dips
1. 3 x BW+55lbs
2. 3 x BW+60lbs
3. 3 x BW+70lbs
Behind Head DB Extensions
4. 14 x 85lbs
Weighted Dips
5. 3 x BW+70lbs

Bent Over Barbell Rows
1. 3 x 185lbs
2. 3 x 225lbs
3. 3 x 235lbs (pb)
Rear Delt DB Side Raises
4. 14 x 305lb dbs
Bent Over Barbell Rows
5. 2 x 235lbs

Rack Pull Deadlifts/b]
1. 3 x 225 lbs
2. 3 x 275 lbs
3. 3 x 315lbs
[b]Box Squats
4. 12 x 185lbs set box halfway between 90 and floor
Rack Pull Deadlifts
5. 3 x 315lbs

Not bad. Was the last day of my hybrid hypertrophy program... I'll sum up my thoughts on that in a separate note shortly.

Built
10-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Training is not genderless. There is evidence that women may require slightly higher rep ranges, for example, and we don't have as much test, so our gains are slower.

"Lean, Sexy and Hard, Part 1. Weight Training for Women by Joel Marion" (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=14&a=4)

So when training for strength, a man should use between 1 and 5 reps while a woman will benefit more from doing 3-6 reps. Also, most women will need to perform 1-2 more sets of an exercise to achieve the same degree of stimulation as a man, once again because of their lower motor unit activation."

Thanks for posting that Mike.

Killer gains! I wonder how much of your weight gain was LBM? Any idea?

Miker
10-01-2005, 03:24 PM
My Unprofessional Review of the Hybrid Hypertrophy Program
that I just completed.

Since I am planning to open a small studio gym and offer Personal Training Services as a profit generating hobby, I decided I needed to start trying some very different things so that I know their effects. I cannot in good conscience put somebody on or through a program I have never put myself through. But.. enough of the good guy stuff. I was very interested to see if I could bump a few maxes and gain a few pounds.

I will put a table in of my before maxes to my after maxes (all 3 rep maximums) so you can see the actual change in strength and weight. Then I'll discuss the 'feelings' and such that I had during the program.

The program was designed to run 4 to a maximum of 6 weeks for a reason. It hits incredibly hard physically, taxing recovery as well as blasts the central nervous system to ensure full usuage of your motor units. The goal is strength gain and size gain at the same time. Noble but something difficult to accomplish at least in my limited experience.

http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_images/hhtable.gif

You can see some very large changes in maximums (3 rep) over the 5 week period. I bulked during the program which I believe now that you HAVE to do if you plan on making it through this program. The weight is too heavy and the workouts too intense to not be fully fueled before and after. I managed to put on 9 lbs which I have to say is more than I put on in the entire LAST YEAR. Perhaps some of the maxes were due to the fact that I might not have really pressed myself as hard on maxes previously. But I can honestly say that even with that in the mix, I still believe the maxes I attained through this program would still have been impressive. Truthfully though, these maximums were hard earned and I didn't go light at the start of the program to sandbag results.

I concentrated on proper form and in some cases didn't count personal bests that I felt I may have gotten through compromised form.

This program taxes you completely. The first 2 weeks I felt like I was getting run over by a truck while writing a 3 hour calculus exam. I was ok with the physical abuse as rugby often leaves me feeling totally used up and crushed (in a cardio way mind you) but this was different. I couldn't have coaxed another rep out of my body by the 5th set of each module. On top of that, I was not prepared for the sheer mental exhaustion that came with the workouts. When the program states it hits your CNS to ensure full motor unit participation it means it. I am used to leaving the gym feeling refreshed, alert and envigoured. When I left this gym I felt good, but used up. Totally and completely used up.... I'd make a latex analogy but you ladies have no requirement for more sexual innuedo mind fodder I'm sure. My only complaint was that since I work out at lunch, I was pretty toasted for the afternoon mentally. I did get used to it by about the 3rd week but the effects were still noticeable.

Now, a question you might have is how practical is this workout for a woman. (I don't know why you would ask that because I think any workout is genderless but...) To answer that, I put the woman I train through it with me. Her strength gains made mine look meagre. In one case, she went from deadlifting 170 to 3 repping 225. Her close grip bench went from 95 to 145. She struggled with the same symptoms of exhaustion as I did but I think she was finding it difficult to fuel up... both actually eating and believing that she should be eating so much.

I don't know much more to say than if you have any questions.. please post here.. and I will answer here. I think it is a program that is well worth doing if you are willing to fuel yourself and not worry about missing the isolation movements. The entire program is based on compound movements and let me tell you... they work. I honestly feel tighter and bigger. I have had a few people mention that I seem larger. I know my gut is but I can feel it across the shoulders and arms. Shirts aren't fitting the same way and suddenly a few button ups are now out of the rotation as I cannot move my arms in them without ripping the back panel. (What a glorious feeling that is)...

SO.. if you have the chance, wherewithal and drive.. this is a program worth dumping 4 weeks into.

Miker
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
sorry built.. deleted and resubmitted.. thus the timeline change. I've read that article.. and I guess I didn't consider a 1-2 rep difference a major program change. Meaning.. any program can be used for male or female.. I think everyone has to incorporate modifications for their circumstances while still maintaining the main 'meat' of the program.

As for LBM.. I really have no idea. I didn't do any measurements before and I'm not done bulking yet so I haven't got a clue. I imagine a couple pounds or so.

Built
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm particularly interested in how your training partner did.

This is very cool!

And ... you're over 200 lbs now.

Mmmmm....

Miker
10-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Started a generic 3x10 program today for a couple weeks or until I can decide what program to try next. Though.. I noticed today that I am experiencing a fair bit of pain on the underside of my left elbow where the triceps attaches. I've never had tennis elbow nor a bad case of tendinitis... (the same?) so I'm unsure what it is.. I get the pain the most when I do french press or db extensions. However.. it freaking hurts. I suppose I could do some research and maybe go see my physiotherapist and sports doc for a proper diagnosis. I am afraid they will tell me to stop lifting!!!!!

Flat DB Press
1. 10 x 60lb db's
2. 10 x 65lb db's
3. 10 x 70lb db's
Incline DB Flyes
1. 10 x 35lb db's
2. 10 x 40lb db's
3. 10 x 40lb db's
Behind Head DB Extension
1. 10 x 60lb db's
2. 10 x 65lb db's
3. 10 x 70lb db's
Rope Pushdowns
1. 10 x 100lbs
2. 10 x 110lbs
3. 10 x 120lbs
Arnold Presses
1. 10 x 40lb db's
2. 10 x 40lb db's
3. 10 x 40lb db's
Barbell Shrugs
1. 10 x 135lbs
2. 10 x 225lbs
3. 10 x 275lbs

Obviously some of the weight was too low and I'll rectify that over the week.. however, I think I'll aim for a program that stimulates growth so go for the 10 rep sets I think. Just not sure if I will move back to isolation movements or stay with compound or a mix. And.. what mix if that. Decisions, decisions.

Miker
10-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Right shoulder is sore, left tri is sore, left ankle is sore.. it's raining.. but it's Friday and you know what that means.. Built is flying to Toronto to take me on a shopping spree and night out on the town....oh wait.. sorry.. dream I had last night.. hehe.. (the rest of the dream is not for you to know.... ahem).. anyhoo.. It's just Friday of a Canadian Long weekend. I plan on getting some sleep, drinking some beer, eating some turkey and then starting a cut. For ONCE in my life.. I had two pairs of jeans (32x36 if you must know) that I could not do up today. Time to cut.. I don't have the budget for a new wardrobe.

Hit the gym today...and why not.. such a wonderful place.. the gym..

Powercleans
1. 10 x 135lbs
2. 10 x 155lbs
3. 10 x 160lbs
Front Squats...I hate these.. HATE.. burning thousand sun's heat HATE
1. 10 x 135lbs
2. 10 x 155lbs
3. 10 x 160lbs
Seated Calf Lifts
1. 10 x 90lbs
2. 10 x 135lbs
3. 10 x 170lbs
Wide Grip Pullups
1. 10 x BW (202lbs)
2. 10 x BW
3. 10 x BW
Bent Over Barbell Rows (Supinated Grip)
1. 10 x 135lbs
2. 10 x 155lbs
3. 9 x 155lbs

Miker
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm back... Miss me? :hello:

Not much to report other than... the 12 pounds I gained makes me feel fat, I can't do up some of my pants.. I tried to put my goalie equipment on last night for hockey and got winded doing up my skates..

Did I mention I feel fat? ugh..

SO.. I decided what is the best way to start my cut cycle.. I know.. incredibly cruel, yet deserving self torture through Spinning. I attended the noon spinning class at http://www.berkeleygym.com/ which is a pretty cool gym.. You can pay for visits in bulk, memberships in weeks or months etc. Anyways.. they have the best spinning instructors in the city and my 70 year old uncle goes 6 times a week. So.. I went with him today.

Ok.. he normally kicks my ass... most of the spinning class I'm trying to find the least jewel crushing position I can find on the nad eating saddle. When I finally find it.. the demonspawned instructor has us out of the saddle doing a climb. Good god.. It took me 5 minutes to set my sac down comfortably and now you want me to sprint up a hill in the standing position. Oi Vey... 46 minutes of ball smashing sweat streaming hell I finished. And wonder of wonders.. I was breathing still.. and.. I could walk. I swore that there was no way I was ever going to walk again. but it happened.. one foot at a time.

Anyways.. the girls that own/train at the gym love me there.. So.. I get a workout even though I only bought spinning visits. I got 10 1hr spinning classes for 80 bucks.. not bad.. I can take them as fast or slow as I want.

The lesson to this rambling testicle-fixated story is that.. I didn't just ease into my cut cycle cardio gently.. I smashed my nuts with a hammer and tortured my quads to death...just to get rid of this damned belly!!!

I'm playing goalie again tonight.. I'm going to ask my wife to do my skates up before I leave. ...

Built
10-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Bleah. Spinning.

How's your diet, Miker?

Miker
10-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Bleah. Spinning.

How's your diet, Miker?

Developing...
working on it now actually. THis week was a relief from Bulking.. just ate clean, didn't focus on the calories being so high ... next week starts the calorie reduction...

Built
10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, my feeling is that it's more important to get the diet worked out than it is to do a spinning class - you can't cardio off the weight. That part's diet anyway.

Personally, I like to leave cardio to the END of a cut, when I just can't bear to drop calories any lower.

Miker
10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Not me.. I don't have a problem dropping weight.. and cardio is a big part of it for me. HIIT cardio like a spinning class is fantastic. On top of that, it adds to my endurance which makes my weight lifting workouts better. It gives me more edurance on the ice rink which is also nice. Calorie cutting alone will work but I cut hand in hand with some HITT cardio.

Built
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Sure, but if you start with diet, you have a place to ramp up your caloric deficit with cardio.

If you start with cardio, there's a likelihood of increasing your calories - cardio DO build an appetite!

I was not aware that spin classes were HIIT. ???

In any case, there's only so much caloric deficit you can create through cardio - go too long, and you just chew through muscle. I basically consider cardio useful on a cut because it lets me eat slightly more food while I do it.

Miker
10-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Spinning is very much HIIT... infact.. that pretty much sums up spinning.

I like cardio because it allows me to burn a few extra calories over my diet.. and since it has worked in the past.. I do it. I don't work out soley for looks.. It is important to me to keep performance on the ice and rugby field and cardio helps with that. Normally I do about 20 min tops.. a spinning class of 45 minutes a week is no big deal..

Built
10-14-2005, 06:05 PM
45 minutes of HIIT: you are dead.

I can BARELY manage 8 minutes. 9 and I'd be puking.

I don't think spinning qualifies as HIIT. Interval training, surely. But not HIIT.

Sorry.

Miker
10-14-2005, 06:08 PM
try a class and then give me your thoughts... and apologies aren't necessary for disagreeing with me..

Built
10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
No thanks. 45 minutes of that would be WAAAAY too catabolic for my taste.

Relentless
10-20-2005, 01:18 PM
what kind of progress did Lisa see on the Hybrid Hypertrophy proggie (if any?)

Miker
10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
what kind of progress did Lisa see on the Hybrid Hypertrophy proggie (if any?)
Not sure on size.. strength... a huge amount. Hit PB's in just about everything. I don't know the extent.. however.. I know that in some.. she beat by 20-30lbs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back at it after a nice weekend.. while wet and cold.. fair bit was accomplished.. My wife got alot of painting done.. she wanted to do the kitchen, breakfast area, family room and guest bathroom.. .... just the kitchen cupboards and family room left. I cleaned the garage (her side - my side is a woodshop) so she can start parking her car as the mornings are starting to frost up here. Sunday I spent the day in a 5 hour workshop on pen and ink shading and texturing...

anyways.. back to the main idea here

Week 2, Day 1 Total Body Training

CloseGrip Bench Press
1. 5 x 185lb
2. 5 x 185lb
3. 4 x 185lb

Weighted Dips
1. 5 x BW+32.5lbs
2. 5 x BW+32.5lbs
3. 5 x BW+32.5lbs

Weighted Pull Ups
1. 5 x BW+22.5lbs
2. 5 x BW+22.5lbs
4. 5 x BW+22.5lbs - supinated

Barbell Shrugs
1. 5 x 275lbs
2. 5 x 315lbs
4. 5 x 335lbs

Front Squats (know as the Exercise of Lucifer)
1. 5 x 185lbs
2. 5 x 185lbs
4. 5 x 185lbs

Ham Curls
1. 5 x 130lbs
2. 5 x 130lbs
3. 5 x 130lbs

adieu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since photo threads seem to disappear after a while.. I'm posting my latest here so that I have something to refer to down the road....

I had a pic thread in here with a number of photos at various stages.. was going to add to it.. but.. I guess in the vein of storage.. the mods deleted all old threads...

anyhoo...

Well, managed to squeeze in a few shots today before my workout. The weather was beautiful in toronto so my workout partner Lisa suggested we go on the gym's rooftop balcony and take the photos. I figured for after bulk shots.. that wouldn't be so bad...

The first is a full body shot.. just in my workout gear.. nothing special but it shows the weight I've put on in the last while. Please ignore the chest carpet... Living in the great white north means that in the winter we do whatever we can to stay warm.. even keeping our fur intact... ;)
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/fullbody.jpg

The next shot is the requisite front double bi. I would rather do these in the mirror to ensure the constipated smile is better and I have a better flex.. but.. not being pumped.. and no mirror.. this is passable. I'm happy with the size difference from previous photos.
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/frontdoublebi.jpg

This is the tricep shot... bad lighting.. bad posing .. but I my tricep is really my best muscle I think... can't see the definition due to the sunlight.. and the tattoo.. I turned too much from the camera.
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/tri.jpg

This is the shot of my calf. It looks small but I like the definition and it's increase in strength... size will come.
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/rightcalf.jpg

This photo is of my quads.. getting bigger.. but not there yet.. tough on a long legs to get them to look big.. but.. I will
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/legs.jpg

This is the back double bicep. I really like this shot.. due to the layer of fat, the definition is weak but the size is definately bigger than before. The biceps are turned forward.. I need posing help.
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/backdoublebi.jpg

The last one is my favourite and one I think really shows that I have done some hard work. My lat spread.. not only does it show my lats.. but my traps and neck seem to have put on an inch or so.
http://www.mpatterson.ca/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/albums/BodyForLife/latspread.jpg

All in all.. some sized gained I think in my last bulk.. though I've dropped 5 pounds in the last week. Hopefully not too much muscle went in the drop. I need some practice posing but since I don't pose alot .. it isn't all that important.. perhaps by the time I take the next set of photos my posing will be better.

Hope I didn't scar your retinas!

Relentless
10-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Even before I read the caption I THOUGHT I recognized the ****ty aluminum siding and the weatherworn wooden flooring... I used to go lay in the sun up there for 20 mins after some workouts in the summer.

:D

They look pretty good Mike, but you'll get better results taking pix indoors with overhead lighting as opposed to sunlight, which is going to tend to wash things out.

You'll also get more out of the triceps pose by rotating back a bit, taking the shot from side-on as opposed to from slightly behind... your triceps are definitely pretty decent and that shot doesn't do 'em justice.

For the double biceps pose, I recommend finding pics of BCC posing against Hatred in the Arnold pics thread. See how BCC has his upper arms actually slightly above parallel to the ground? I think this helps the pose... anyway check it out.

So where are the pix of Lisa? Just for your private collection? ;)

Miker
10-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Even before I read the caption I THOUGHT I recognized the ****ty aluminum siding and the weatherworn wooden flooring... I used to go lay in the sun up there for 20 mins after some workouts in the summer.

:D

They look pretty good Mike, but you'll get better results taking pix indoors with overhead lighting as opposed to sunlight, which is going to tend to wash things out.
Yeah.. I had permission to take the photos inside but there was a class happening in the room so since it was nice out.. we went outside..

You'll also get more out of the triceps pose by rotating back a bit, taking the shot from side-on as opposed to from slightly behind... your triceps are definitely pretty decent and that shot doesn't do 'em justice.
Thanks.. and yes.. I practiced in front of the mirror.. so I knew what I could get.. but infront of a camera.. nothing to judge myself by and had turned too far forward...

For the double biceps pose, I recommend finding pics of BCC posing against Hatred in the Arnold pics thread. See how BCC has his upper arms actually slightly above parallel to the ground? I think this helps the pose... anyway check it out.
I remember looking at those and saying to myself.. gotta remember to do that.. then.. forgetting.. figures. Will remember for the next time.. I hope.

So where are the pix of Lisa? Just for your private collection? ;)
Ha.. no.. no photos of her. I'll leave that for her hubby to do or not. Unless she asks but I imagine she won't.

Miker
11-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Well.. just got back from my 'post bulk' measurements. Of course I have had 3 weeks or so since I actually stopped the program and the bulking. I've only been maintaining but with my metabolism... it seems to have turned into a cut of sorts. I'm very happy with the results none the less

Pre Hybrid Hypertrophy Workout Program & Bulk
Upper Arm = 13"
Chest = 38.75"
Waist = 32.25"
Buttocks = 38.25"
Upper Thigh = 22.75"
Calf = 15"
Bodyfat = 14.2%
BodyWeight = 188.7 lbs
Lean Body Mass = 157 lbs

Post Program and Bulk
Upper Arm = 13.25" +.25"
Chest = 40.75" +2.0"
Waist = 34.75" +2.50"
Buttocks = 39.75" +1.5"
Upper Thigh = 23.25" +0.5"
Calf = 15"
Bodyfat = 15.5% +1.3%
BodyWeight = 192.6 lbs +4.9 lbs
Lean Body Mass = 159 lbs +2.0 lbs

So... overall not bad results for approximately 8 weeks. Now.. to do it again.. however, I really have to figure out how to keep the waist measurement down... and dammit.. my calves will not grow... although my body comp technician felt they looked much better. This may mean they've grown by the same amount I lost fat in the area... so I'll just dwell on that. ;)

Infraspinatus strained and on an off week from the gym right now.. hoping to get back in the swing of things next week after some massage, accu and physio.