PDA

View Full Version : Eating good and staying cost effective

Mercuryblade
09-03-2005, 01:50 AM
So I switched schools this year, went from a small college to a big one, anyways, long story short. I walk to my classes, and apparently all this walking has jumpstarted my metabolism even further than it was before causing me to eat this much food:

Morning
9:45 2 Bowls of Wheaties and a banana
12:00 One wheatbread sandwich with roughly 1/4 lb of meat, usually roast beef, turkey or ham, along with alot of carrots, or an apple sometimes both.
2:00 Get hungry againk, I eat a bag of cereal and an apple or some carrots to keep me from passing out from a sugar low.
4:30 Eat my first dinner of the night, might be a tuna sandwich with mayo and olives/peanut butter sandwich (usually a triple decker so it can hold more peanut butter)/Left over from my real dinner the night before (The "/" indicates possible choices I don't eat all those foods at once) and along with any of those choices I eat a large spinach or romaine salad.
Then I lift (or run and do abs depending on which day of the week), come back, eat a sugary granola bar and down some juice to get my blood sugar up again and proceed to make dinner
Real Dinner at usually 7-8 olock range, foods vary alot, but I eat until I'm full
11:00 Pre bedtime snack I make myself 4 eggs and some toast.

SO yeah, I get $200 a month for food from my parents, and my daily food consumption has been averaging me about $8 a day, which is $40 more a month than I wish to spend. Does anyone here know of a cheaper way to eat besides the obvious answer (eat less), because if you look at my body weight, you know I need to eat. Is there a good tasting protein powder, or some foods that you find to be extra filling and not so expensive, a man can only eat so many cans of tuna. I eat really well as it is, and I don't worry too much about getting adequate nutrition, I just need to keep myself full.

thajeepster
09-03-2005, 06:08 AM
post your average grocery list, and what it normally costs to buy it. What supplements are you taking ( you may be able to drop a few)

ryuage
09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
buy in bulk

Tony H
09-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Little things.

For example: At the grocery store where i usually shop, there is always stuff on sale. Large eggs are often on sale because most people buy X-L, so i buy the large. Cheaper.

There's always one brand of tuna that's on sale, and it's really all the same, so i buy a bunch of the one on sale.

Alternatively, you can shop at one of the bulk grocery stores. Smaller selection as far as brands, but much much cheaper. (Might want to avoid frozen foods. I find they tend to be freezer-burned at these places.)

Oatmeal is a good cheap source of carbs. Get the big tubs, not the commercially advertised kind.

You'll probably find that if you buy the important, good foods first you end up spending a lot less money than you expected. Junk foods are expensive. So is most beer. :windup:

HILL
09-03-2005, 09:59 AM
oats must be cheaper than any cereal and by in bulk, use whey powder. it can be very cheap i find

Mercuryblade
09-04-2005, 03:45 AM
I buy oatmeal at Costco in this huge box and buy these 24 packs of tuna. I used to take whey protein, but I eventually got the point where I would throw it all back up immediately because it tasted so awful, vanilla was worse than the chocoloate. Anybody here know of any good recipies for whey based shakes? Obviously I could look on the recipes forum, but does anybody know of any good recipies that really do a good job of covering the taste? Only supplements I take right now is green tea (600mg a day) and a multivitamin.

HILL
09-04-2005, 04:36 AM
i use vanilla at the moment. if i need carbs ill grind up 100g of oats in blender then add 400ml milk, 4 scoop whey, 4 ice cubes and depending on how much fat i need 25g or 50g of peanut butter. if i dnt need the carbs i just remove the oats. ive used choc whey,choc mint whey,banana whey and vanilla whey and their all nice. i think its the peanut butter that makes them nice as i use sunpat peanut butter. even my g/f likes them.

Mercuryblade
09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
What kind (Brand) of whey do you use?

Unreal
09-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Just order some nitrean from the site sponser. It taste so good its almost like desert. Even mixed with water it taste good. With milk is must be heaven, but I haven't tried yet because I haven't bought milk in months.

HILL
09-04-2005, 02:06 PM
am using reflex at the min as dont know wether i can get nitrean deliverd to uk without having an extra charge. just bought some cheaper stuff like out of health shop. aslong as its got protein in it will do for me

Scottyboy
09-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I've never been sick from protein, but some brands definetly taste better than others. ON, Designer Whey, and Bio-Pro all taste great to me, so I would recommend those.

Mercuryblade
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
$32 for 70 servings isn't too bad, only 50 cents a serving, alot cheaper than eating a turkey and ham sandwich, I can mix in some oatmeal and milk and get good meal out of it. I just hope it tastes good.

Unreal
09-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Just had 1/2 cup oats with a scoop of nitrean. Add a packet of splenda and alittle cinnamon and its like desert.

law56ker
09-06-2005, 09:16 AM
buy a 33 pound bag of unflavored protein. It's not that bad at all it barely has any flavor so it mixes well with pudding and other things.

HILL
09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
were do you get a 33 pound of unflavoured whey protein from, that would be a dream

malkore
09-06-2005, 11:12 AM
proteinfactory.com
trueprotein.com

both sell bulk protein, with the option of un-flavored.

law56ker
09-06-2005, 12:21 PM
were do you get a 33 pound of unflavoured whey protein from, that would be a dream
I got mine from supplement direct. It actually has very little flavor which makes adding it to receipes very easy. When you drink it plain it just kinda tastes something like milk or a dairy product. It doesn't bother me at all. I make pudding all the time and mix it in, can't even taste it. Also use it in protein pancakes and other stuff.

BossHawg02
09-08-2005, 08:58 PM
got a sams wholesale around bro????........get a card go there....get a lot for a little money....and ur buying bulk so its cheaper.....

Mercuryblade
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Elaborate on these protein pancakes, recipe/nutrition facts?

HILL
09-10-2005, 03:50 AM
look in recipes section theirs loads in their

Owen
09-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Here’s a sample breakfast shake for a 155 pound trainee who’s looking to put on mass: Mix in water in a blender: 2 scoops protien, 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 cup whole uncooked oats, 2 bananas, 2.5 to 5 grams creatine. Blend and drink up.

HILL
09-14-2005, 05:56 AM
add milk to the above for even more cals

SkinnySadMan
09-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Is anyone here rich enough to eat steak everyday ?

Mercuryblade
09-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Here’s a sample breakfast shake for a 155 pound trainee who’s looking to put on mass: Mix in water in a blender: 2 scoops protien, 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 cup whole uncooked oats, 2 bananas, 2.5 to 5 grams creatine. Blend and drink up.

I'm gonna try that once my nitrean arrives, minus the Creatine :P. I'm hoping to push to 160 this winter before I start cutting before spring break. That's 14lbs in 5.5 months.

BG5150
09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Pasta is cheap. And so is rice. I buy 50# bags at the Asian grocery store for very cheap. Cook in a rice cooker. If it has the "warm" feature, you can keep a whole pot of rice for, like, three days. It'll be there whenever you're hungry, nice and warm.

Don't buy coldcut meats. Make your own. By a big ham when they are on sale and cook it up. Slice it up in sandwich portions and put them in baggies and store in the refrigerator. Works the same w/ roast beef or turkey. Cook it yourself and slice it up.

Soups are cheap when you make them yourself. Make a couple of big batches and put them in containers and freeze them. With microwaves, it's a snap to reheat. (You can even put some of the rice you've made into the soup--lol)

As with most things, it's cheaper if you buy the ingredients yourself and cook them than if you bought a pre-prepared meal.

And buying at one of the warehouse stores is pretty good, too, for some things. Like meats. You can get about 14-15 chicken breasts for around $12-13 at Costco. I buy a tray and then separate them by two's and put them into ziplocks and freeze. I take one out of the freezer a day and put it into the fridge to defrost, so I can make it the next day.

The Sunday and/or Wednesday paper is good to find what's on sale at the different grocery stores in your area, too. Why pay $3.50 a pound for chopmeat at one store, when the other store ahs it on sale for $3.19?