PDA

View Full Version : Allergies and bodybuilding...how much will they affect my progress?

unev_en
12-21-2001, 10:58 AM
I'm in a relatively unique situation; I'm fatally allergic to all milk products and all nut products (except cashews.) This means that I cannot consume whey protein, casein protein, any form of pre-mixed recovery drink (like n-large2,) any form of protein bars, any weight-gainers, most protein powders, or natty peanut butter. It also means, of course, that I cannot drink milk, or eat cheese, etc...

How much will this effect my long-term progress? For example, I currently consume egg whites with dextrose/malto in my post-workout meal; how much worse is this than whey?

I'm just curious as to the possibilty of developing a good physique while at the same time living under severe dietary restrictions.

Adam
12-21-2001, 11:06 AM
Just eat lots of meat. Are you alergic to soy milk?

Paul Stagg
12-21-2001, 11:09 AM
You'll be fine.

There are plenty of ways to get the good things in milk and nuts.

Protein isn't an issue, just eat non-milk based stuff.

Calcium may be - you'll probably require a supplement

Fats - Flax (or Udo's) will do you just fine.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-21-2001, 01:29 PM
if you're fatally allergic to milk products, how did you discover you were allergic to them in the first place?!

unev_en
12-21-2001, 03:12 PM
My mom is a doctor...and were it not for her, I would be dead.

1/4 of a walnut will send me to the hospital; one walnut will kill me.

There is so little room for error that the allergies are virtually fatal; if i consume even the smallest amount of an allergenic substance, the reaction is so severe that I may not survive.

syntekz
12-21-2001, 07:25 PM
I know some small children that have this same type of allergy. Feel sorry for ya.

DumbbellTosser
12-22-2001, 01:28 PM
So I guess you don't go out to eat much, huh... cause it's not that uncommon for a restaurant to accidentally drop a walnut into a bowl of pasta or in a salad or something. You could eat it without even noticing. I smell a lot of possible lawsuits with you buddy. :eek:

Reinier
12-22-2001, 02:18 PM
a friend of mine would die if he would touch one of those hairy uhm what they called, butterfly larvae.

unev_en
12-22-2001, 03:38 PM
Going out to eat is...interesting...and also very dangerous.

The safest thing to do is just to stress the fact that I have allergies and order fish/steak grilled DRY (emphasized) with DRY baked potato and DRY salad.

Pasta is generally out of the question, as is most ethnic food.

Needless to say, going out to eat isn't exactly the most exciting experience...mmm...dry tuna, dry potato....yum...

body
12-22-2001, 04:49 PM
most companies in the Uk have very tight nut controls on foods. Its quite a big issue. We spend time and money helping keep the foods nut free and even seed free(well for some products).

Tryska
12-22-2001, 05:11 PM
do you know why your so fatally allergic?

i've always wondered about that.....is it enzymes? do you get anaphylactic shock?

my best friend's son was allergic to his mother's breastmilk. i thought that was pretty damn quirky.

body
12-22-2001, 05:19 PM
off the top of my head, the fatality is due to him lacking a enzyme to break down a chemical that cause a auto-immune response of histmaine? the levels raise to quickly and effect there breathing.

If it type 1 allergry.
I did know the answer as I worte it in a exam. But that was two years ago.

Tryska
12-22-2001, 05:26 PM
hmm...why all nuts except cashew?

isn't maltodextrin a milk sugar? or am i making that up?

incidentally you could get egg protein powder uneven...i've seen that at the grocery store....

body
12-22-2001, 05:37 PM
some nuts are worse than other.
though i would not eat cashews if i was you. as they will likely to be packed in a nut factory.

Tryska
12-22-2001, 05:47 PM
well the cashew is the only nut that requires processing before it can be eaten, so perhaps it has something else in it that acts as a buffer.

how curious this all is. i've always wondered about allergies of this type.

body
12-22-2001, 05:56 PM
i do not think the processing will effect it as. Lots of cooked foods have a nut warning on them.
it probably due to them lacking the chemical that cause the problems.

DumbbellTosser
12-22-2001, 06:27 PM
The idea that the poor kid can die for eating is freakin nuts!! :rolleyes:

unev_en
12-22-2001, 08:14 PM
The idea that the poor kid can die for eating is freakin nuts!!

Not really...not much different from, say, a diabetic, for whom improper eating can also mean death.

As for why cashews are acceptable while other nuts are not, I am uncertain, as is the scientific community. If memory serves correctly, allergies of this type result from an immunological response to certain proteins. These proteins, which are, for some reason, treated by the body as potent antigens, cause an immediate histamine response, which is directly responsible for the numerous symptoms of the allergic reaction --- itching, swelling of the throat, shock... Certain proteins seem to be more allergenic than others; furthermore, proteins found in relatively similar substances may drastically differ in the allergenic properties. Soybeans, for example, are more closely related to peanuts than are cashews (soybeans, like peanuts, are legumes,) yet I am not allergic to soy; and while I can eat cashews, I am unable to eat walnuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts, etc...

Tryska, I have never seen any egg protein powders. All I have seen are powdered egg whites, which are incredibly nasty. I much prefer cartoned liquid egg whites, which I microwave, cook, whatever... Where did you see egg white / albumen protein powder?

Body, I agree with you about the dangers of raw cashews; the only cashew product I consume is peanut-free (guaranteed) cashew butter...but I might even stay away from that as well.

Podium Kreatin
12-22-2001, 10:11 PM
do u know if all ur allergic reactions from milk and nuts are due to a single allergin, or are each type of food contain something different tht you're allergic to? check if there are any drugs that'll suppress the allergic reactions. a lot of allergic reactions are due to immune responses that, if u prevented them, nothing bad would happen.

i don't think abnegating nuts would do much damage, but milk proteins, i think could be substitued w/ egg or meat.

Matx
12-23-2001, 12:26 AM
im pretty allergic to peanuts but they tell me to just stay away from all nuts. i guess its a severe allergy but i really dont take all the precautions i should because i've never really had too... if i go to a restaurant i ask if the food contains nuts and tell them im allergic. I never eat cookies or any of those other dry snack cake type things except for homeade. I never liked them and i have tried most of them so dont say its sour grapes. Thats about as far as the extent i take. The one time i did eat peanuts was pretty stupid. My friend asked for a cookie and joking around i gave him a dog biscuit. He was like hmm not so bad he actually ate it so i tried one. All of a sudden my throat got really itchy and i checked the ingredients.. peanut flour. I just sat around and my breathing got worse and worse and my throat really horse.. im not sure if it was cuz i was crying like a bitch and forcing myself to throw up (i was about 13). After about an hour i just walked to the hospital they put me on a respirator. Prescribed some steroids (that i never took) and i was fine. The allergy is the most popular and has increased some crazy amount like a million times in the last 50 years. I remember reading that at the rate that it is going everyone will be allergic. They are close to a cure for it though very close. One theory i read about it was that since our enviornment has become cleaner (speaking in terms of disease) our immune system isnt challenged as much and when a strong food like peanuts are introduced for the first time at a young age the body triggers an allergic reaction thinking its bad. When i was a kid i had like 17 different allergies it was crazy all of em disappeared though as i grew up (dont know how) except for peanuts.

body
12-23-2001, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Matx
. Prescribed some steroids (that i never took) and i was fine. The allergy is the most popular and has increased some crazy amount like a million times in the last 50 years. I remember reading that at the rate that it is going everyone will be allergic. They are close to a cure for it though very close. One theory i read about it was that since our enviornment has become cleaner (speaking in terms of disease) our immune system isnt challenged as much and when a strong food like peanuts are introduced for the first time at a young age the body triggers an allergic reaction thinking its bad. When i was a kid i had like 17 different allergies it was crazy all of em disappeared though as i grew up (dont know how) except for peanuts.

In years gone by they would have not known about pean nut allergy so the people would have died. the cause of death would have been unknown. so this is one reason why the eath rate has gone up.
ANother reaosn is that nuts are more commonly used in western diets now than they wiould have been 50 years ago. espeically with big factory that produce lots of food. so if one product has nuts in, the rest may have a trace in them.
alleregy in food are still rare. most people mistake intolerances with allergies. but intolerances do not cause a auto-immune repsonse.

why did you not take your steroids? and why did you tell us you did not take the steroids? they are not anabolicc ones.

Reinier
12-23-2001, 06:50 AM
im not allergic to anything, i feel so boring.

does this just mean im a dirty boy?

body
12-23-2001, 07:47 AM
reiner food allergy are quite rare.
but yep your dirty physical and mentaly.

Tryska
12-23-2001, 10:22 AM
hmmm.....either pure ignorance, or the higher rate of vaccinations which mess with immunological response.

un_even....i saw it in the health-food/vitamin aisle at Kroger. I can't remember the brand name though. (i wanna say nature-made). sounds like your reaction is standard anaphylactic shock. do you have to carry epi-pins with you?

and also, i'm curious on podium's question...are they all due to a single allergen?

unev_en
12-23-2001, 10:58 AM
Tryska and Podium,

I doubt that there is one specific substance to which I am allergic; there are far too many counter-examples for the theory to hold true. I am allergic to both casein and whey, for example (I have been given allergy tests for isolates of both substances.) Given that the allergenic substance is typically a protein, it is my understanding that since I am allergic to such a wide variety of products, and therefore to such a wide variety of proteins, that no one single substance causes the reaction.

This does not mean, however, that the allergenic substances are not similar in structure...

I wonder how structurally similar milk, legume, and nut proteins are... Furthermore, I wonder what degree of structure determines the allergy -- primary, secondary, tertiary, or quarternary? That would be an interesting research project...is it the actual amino acid sequence, or the physical, three-dimensional structure of the protein...?

unev_en
12-23-2001, 11:00 AM
Oh, about the epi kits...yes. Although I am lucky...I have never had to use one; I have always been extremely careful in my eating habits.

It's amazing how much you can learn about food when you have been reading lists of ingredients your entire life.... :)

Matx
12-23-2001, 12:08 PM
its not a single allergin. If your allergic to peanuts your allergic to the protein in them. I can eat food made with peanut oil because the process of turning them into oil and so on gets rid of the protein in em. Also if it was a single allergin everyone that was allergic to peanuts would be allergic to milk ect.

Tryska
12-23-2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by unev_en

I wonder how structurally similar milk, legume, and nut proteins are... Furthermore, I wonder what degree of structure determines the allergy -- primary, secondary, tertiary, or quarternary? That would be an interesting research project...is it the actual amino acid sequence, or the physical, three-dimensional structure of the protein...?

hmm.....interestng...i do know with certain auto-immune diseases, MS, for instance, the lectin in rye is structurally quite similar to proteins in the joints. and antibodies to these lectins, recognize joint proteins as the enemy and turn on them, thereby causing ms symptoms.

perhaps it's a specific enzyme common to all 3 proteins? I know that legumes and nuts both contain lectins which can be highly allergenic, but that wouldn't fit milk necessarily.....are you sensitive to any grains?

Podium Kreatin
12-23-2001, 06:03 PM
it has to be the tertiary or quaternary, b/c only that type of structure would make a protein "work." proteins work b/c of their shape, and a primary wouldn't do, b/c it has no shape. secondary, maybe, but many proteins don't exist in the secondary structure, and ur body's receptors would recognize proteins by only 3rd of 4th structure, like ur body's enzymes. also, when saying ur allergic to whey and casein, it's probably a segment of the 4th structure that sets off the allergic reactions, but i'm not sure cuz i'm not a doctor yet.

Matx
12-24-2001, 01:19 AM
Listen there is no connection. If there was a connection then everyone who was allergic to peanuts would have the exact same allergies to other foods. I know 5 kids that are allergic to peanuts.. including myself and sister. All of us are exclusively allergic to peanuts, 2 kids have asmtha including my sister (she has it very mild doesnt even have to have an inhaler with her).