View Full Version : Knees, HIIT, and alternatives to sprinting questions

Hangul
09-06-2005, 08:40 AM
I recently began doing HIIT.

My routine was like this:

Sprint 10 seconds
Jog 50 seconds

Repeat for however long.

I gradually worked up to 12 cycles of this. I loved the high I got from doing this routine and I looked forward to doing it 4 times a week.

Well I did it for about a month and then I noticed that I was beginning to have soreness in areas that were not supposed to be getting sore - namely my knees and the surrounding ligaments.

This Monday I started to do my routine and the pain was present after the first two cycles... Frustrated I hopped on my mountain bike and proceeded to do the following in the hardest gear:

Sprint 30 seconds
Medium speed 30 seconds

Repeat for 20 minutes.

I have two questions.

1. Why is my knee hurting? Let me give you a few relevant variables.

First, I have sprained my right MCL (about 10 years ago).

I wear Mizuno Wave Legend II (correction for flat-feet), they are about 1.5 years old.

I run on the pavement in front of my house because I can't go far. My kids are asleep and my wife isn't home when I get up at 5:30 am.

2. Is what I did Monday on my mountain bike HIIT?

Hangul

Patz
09-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know if the bike is HIIT, but I guess it is....?...

The shoes are too old...unless you've hardly worn them.

4 times a week is a lot of running on pavement, especially if you aren't a young guy, which I'll presume you aren't since you've got not only a wife but kids too. Knees tend to go downhill for men, starting in the early 20's. I'm 26, and my knees can only handle even jogging a couple times a week. They aren't horrible, but they can get achy if I do much more than that. Back when I was 20 @ 240lbs @ 30% bodyfat, I jogged 6 times a week without problems, for about 4 months. I'm considerably leaner now, but it doesn't matter--I'm older, and spent too long carrying around extra weight, despite my abundance of leg muscle. This brings me to my next point...

Are you carrying extra weight....?

You may wanna stick to the bike, or just weights and regular cardio for now if so...

spanky33
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
HIIT doesn't necessarily mean sprinting. Just do it on anything. Just make sure to get your heart rate really high for a short amount of time (like those sprints you did), then chill for a bit (like the jogging you did).

You can do it on a bike or whatever.

Anthony
09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
2. Is what I did Monday on my mountain bike HIIT?

Yes, but I personally use shorter intervals (10s sprint / 20s easy).

jrswbb
09-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Do you have flat feet? That could be the problem. I have flat feet and I've hurt my knees running before. When the arch in your foot flatens out it put excess stress on your knees.

If you don't know maybe you should see a podiatrist. He can check it out and give you orthotics if you need them. The orthotics just are there to keep an arch in your foot. They can be a bit expensive though. Once the orthotics are in the the pain will subside very quickly. I'd still recommend easing up on the HIIT for a week or so however.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see that you said you wear something for flat feet. Still maybe they are too old? Are they custom fit to your feet? Maybe they just don't fit your feet as well as custom orthotics. Maybe you should look into that. When I outgrew my old orthotics it hurt my feet and legs. Maybe you have a similar situation.

roguetheory
09-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but when it comes to HIIT running, what is a common exercise ?

Today, I ran for 4 minutes, at 10 km per hour, then sustained for 24 minutes at 6.5 km per hour, and then did the last 2 minutes at 12 km per hour.
Does this qualify as HIIT ?

My aim at the moment is to burn fat, rarther than getting anerobic benifits.

Hangul
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't know if the bike is HIIT, but I guess it is....?...

The shoes are too old...unless you've hardly worn them.

4 times a week is a lot of running on pavement, especially if you aren't a young guy, which I'll presume you aren't since you've got not only a wife but kids too. Knees tend to go downhill for men, starting in the early 20's. I'm 26, and my knees can only handle even jogging a couple times a week. They aren't horrible, but they can get achy if I do much more than that. Back when I was 20 @ 240lbs @ 30% bodyfat, I jogged 6 times a week without problems, for about 4 months. I'm considerably leaner now, but it doesn't matter--I'm older, and spent too long carrying around extra weight, despite my abundance of leg muscle. This brings me to my next point...

Are you carrying extra weight....?

You may wanna stick to the bike, or just weights and regular cardio for now if so...

I guess they are old. 3 months after buying them I ran 2-3 days a week for about 1 - 2 miles. Then I started wearing them to and from the gym. So maybe I ought to replace them.

I'm 27, 5' 7" 185 lbs, 15% bf according to my calipers.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see that you said you wear something for flat feet. Still maybe they are too old? Are they custom fit to your feet? Maybe they just don't fit your feet as well as custom orthotics. Maybe you should look into that. When I outgrew my old orthotics it hurt my feet and legs. Maybe you have a similar situation.

I went to a running shoe store. Their specialty is running. I had problems running any distance over a half mile at the time but then I was fitted for the Mizuno Wave Legend II. It corrects the way my foot lands and I was able to run distances way more comfortably. I don't think my flat feet are quite to the point of having to see a podiatrist... I hope.

Any more opinions?

I'd really hate to give up HIIT.

Hangul

Hangul
09-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Bump

waynis
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
you can always do hitt on a eliptical or stairmaster stepper and save your knees. If you decide you still wanna stick to treadmill you can increase the incline and lower the speed. :cool:

MixmasterNash
09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I tried rowing today and it was fun and didn't hurt my already sore shins and knees.