PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about CrossFit please.

Coleman
09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
So I've been spending some time over on the CrossFit boards reading up on it and I like the sounds of it. Is it actually effective? The people on the boards seem to say so but I would like some other opinions.

I like the idea of whole body workouts that are varied but I'm not so sure about some things about it. Some of the workouts have you do things like 300 push ups and 200 body weight squats. Things like that just don't seem effective.

I would like to start doing some of the workout of the day's and some of the workouts that are named after females (these workouts are always the same and are used to gauge how you have improved I think).

What do you guys think?

PS. I'm a martial artist as well, not really training for size.

fixationdarknes
09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Crossfit is geared toward endurance and overall condition rather than strength. This is the reason they do hundreds of pushups and things like that. Personally, I wouldn't do something like Crossfit as part of my normal routine, but I think some of the exercises on that site can work very well, especially for a nice changeup.

MixmasterNash
09-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Crossfit is cross training, and as such trains endurance and strength.

Tell me that this workout isn't about maximum strength:
Overhead squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Front squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps

The point is that the variation is interesting, to be more fit than weightlifters, and stronger than endurance athletes. Not much running, but a high level a fitness and the capability to run a lot if necessary, and then pick up something heavy.

The problem is that the WODs, as prescribed, are ridiculously hard. There are substitutes, but even those are non-trivial. I am pretty fit and I can't even do a lot of the WODs, to say nothing of making good times. Now, Crossfit is NOT the WODs, but the principals of variation, and I like that.

I'm doing Crossfit, basically, to get ready for a half-marathon without running much (because I hate running). See my journal.

Coleman
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys,

I don't have access to some of the equipment that is required for all of the WODs and such so I was thinking of selecting maybe 10 WODs that I do have access to the stuff and doing them. Obviously, I'll try to balance the workouts such that some are geared towards endurance and some are geared towards strength. I'll also try to select them such that I won't overwork a specific bodypart. Does this sound like something that would work okay? If it does, I'll plan on trying it out for a few months and see how my results are and how enjoyable it is.

fixationdarknes
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Mix, alright apparently I was wrong about the strength part of Crossfit? But I mean, how is doing loads of reps going to give strength? I never saw on Crossfit that they do sets of 1 rep.

MixmasterNash
09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Mix, alright apparently I was wrong about the strength part of Crossfit? But I mean, how is doing loads of reps going to give strength? I never saw on Crossfit that they do sets of 1 rep.

Well, they do 1 rep sets and 50 rep sets, and everything in between.

They only work compound lifts, especially olympic lifts and bodyweight work, but plent of squats, deads, and overhead pressing.

PowerManDL
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I've considered doing (scaled back) Crossfit workouts for GPP/conditioning phases, because I like the mix of endurance and strength work.

Mikael
09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I'd say the concept of Crossfit can best be summed up by picturing a pyramid where the base is nutrition, then the next layer is metabolic conditioning (not necessarily endurance only here, it's more general and usually involves some sort of HIIT), then gymnastics (extremely potent for strength, flexibility, balance, etc), then weightlifting (strength, power, coordination), then sports (applying everything in sports specific conditioning. For example, a powerlifter would add his PLing routine here).

Strength athletes and bodybuilders have the impression it is an "endurance" program or that it "favours the small guy" only because they are used to neglecting anything that isn't directly strength/hypertrophy related. A triathlete/any endurance athlete looking at Crossfit would have the opposite impression and would probably say "hey this looks like a strongman contest" or something similar.

For someone just looking to get fit I'd say Crossfit is hands down the best program out there (this includes me since realizing a 400lb bencher wasn't any fitter than a sub 5mn 1500m runner... however someone who can do both?? Now that's fit).