PDA

View Full Version : Stuff about tuna

Runnin
09-06-2005, 03:19 PM
i have been considering eating tuna as a source of protein to mix in every now and then with my chicken and steak and the like. yet i was looking it up on the net and see some stuff about it being bad for you to eat, at most eat it once a week........ a big deal about mercury and stuff like that.

i was wondering if anyone else eats tuna for their protein, and how much a week? also, any nutritionist or anyone that knows about tuna and if its totally safe to eat canned tuna? I think all this new 'warning on tuna' stuff is semi new, so, was wondering if anyone has any feedback, and whether or not i should add this to my every day diet.

thanx

muscleup
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I switched to canned salmon. Dunno if that's going to make a difference or not.

smalls
09-06-2005, 11:48 PM
It's been talked about many times with numerous referances etc. Do a search and read away.

Slim Schaedle
09-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Also, there's alot on here that you won't learn from a nutritionist/dietician. Likewise, there's alot on here to learn that you don't need a nutritionist/dietician for.

YungLifter
09-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Albacore tuna is said to only be eaten 3 times a week. But Chunk light tuna can be eaten up to 5times a week.

diesel_dan
09-07-2005, 05:18 AM
well then i know i have gone way paste the recommended limits per week. seem to be doing fine..

Runnin
09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I've read what seems like 7968736234 articles on line, but they're all over the place. some saying that they don't contain enough mercury to worry about it, some saying 12 ounces a week, some saying 6 ounces a week, some saying you shouldn't eat it... Can't these crazy tuna people just agree on something?! -.-

I was hoping to be able to eat tuna daily, seeing I think it tastes fantastic... but, blah, seems to be no way to find out -exactly- what effect it may have on me until I start eating it daily :P . I'll give it some more time and see if any new, concrete info surfaces.

Thanx guys.

hoser813
09-07-2005, 05:12 PM
i read somewhere that since albacore is a deep sea tuna, it has a high mercury content but chunk light you dont have to worry about.

dissipate
09-07-2005, 07:59 PM
question about tuna: if the labelling doesn't say whether it's albacore or light, what is it? i've been buying store brand for a few months now and have no idea what kind of tuna i'm eating.

Out_in_MN
09-07-2005, 08:36 PM
If the label on the tuna can/pouch doesn't say "Albacore", you're not buying albacore. That would be good from a mecury awareness point-of-view.

The FDA & EPA messages about limiting intake of fish & shellfish are directed to women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children.

Want to learn more? http://www.cfse.purdue.edu/files/news/MercuryFattyAcidsCanned.pdf

ShockBoxer
09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I eat 3 to 5 cans of non-albacore a week. By default it's not albacore used as it's much more expensive.

Wild Cat McCane
09-08-2005, 12:08 PM
mens fitness this month discusses the fish to eat and which not too.

PowerManDL
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Me kill brain?

Uh oh!

BossHawg02
09-08-2005, 07:56 PM
sardines are quite high in protein and all that...slap a lil mustard on it